Show Your Expected Gold Targets

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 8:02 PM, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

I want to point out something I hear all the time as a dealer.  Many firmly believe "gold" has a certain tone or reading.  Anyone who suggests they can just pick out gold due to the tone, but leave all the lead, brass, casings and other rubbish is being fooled by themselves.  I can personally tell you over the last 20+ years swinging detectors, I have dug many targets that sounded like iron rubbish, double signals, breaking up, screaming loud and so on, that were large gold nuggets!!  That is right, big gold nuggets, some various shapes, sizes and weights, but all sounded like the typical iron rubbish.  

I think the key to "guessing" if you have a gold nugget or not, in my opinion, is more of where the target is located for the most part.  When you have detected enough, you gain a lot of experience on where gold nuggets have been found and where they typically could be.  Everyone at some point will be able to start guessing if the target they are recovering is gold or iron rubbish and will get better at the probability.  

The last couple of trips out, I was working some very trashy placers and every target to me sounded crappy.  However, one of the targets was a small 2 Gram gold nugget, so luckily I stuck with digging what I could until I burned out.  

Agreed, Rob.  On my GPZ, I have to fight the tendency to ignore screaming Low/Hi signals that are typically iron..... until they are not.  Similarly so with those signals you think have to just be ground noise, until you keep kicking away the dirt, only to find that the noise eventually gets louder and turns out to be gold. 

I let this 2 1/4 ozer sit in a paddock for two years once, thinking it was another of many shallow shotgun shells. I'll bet I've left a few more "junk" signals for someone else to find as well:

IMG_20200118_083548.thumb.jpg.af93fdcd9d1aedf69652c1eca90aaecd.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jrbeatty said:

I let this 2 1/4 ozer sit in a paddock for two years once, thinking it was another of many shallow shotgun shells. I'll bet I've left a few more "junk" signals for someone else to find as well:

IMG_20200118_083548.thumb.jpg.af93fdcd9d1aedf69652c1eca90aaecd.jpg

Now that would cause me to dig everything, no matter what it sounded like.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2020 at 9:12 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

How do you know what the targets were that you did not dig up? Do you believe 100% of the targets you did not dig were not gold? That you have a 100% accuracy rate? If not, what percent is acceptable to you? If you skip 100 targets is it ok for ten of those to be gold? Five? Two?

I’m not being critical here, just curious. I have skipped a lot of targets over the years for various reasons, but I am certain that I have left gold in the ground as a result. I know this because I have dug plenty of “nail signals” that turned out to be gold.

I do find some targets..... You have to know your machine and in which area to switch machines. In open ground I use my old Pi SD2200D on regular Disc. Not Disc+ target id .... On a wash close to bedrock I use my XP ORX......

A lot of prospectors think one machine does it all ...... I have yet to dig a grunt target that was gold using my PI. If it grunts it's always a 🐖.

MVIMG_20200121_154430.jpg

On 1/16/2020 at 12:55 PM, MannyScoot said:

gold doesn't scream unless you are in a wash and it sits on top sun baking.

All I can say is that the almost 2 oz nugget I found at 14 inches…totally screamed. I was not in a wash. I personally know of other people who have had the same experience. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

All I can say is that the almost 2 oz nugget I found at 14 inches…totally screamed. I was not in a wash. I personally know of other people who have had the same experience. 

I think I have a better chance of getting an erection than finding a screaming (2 oz.) nugget in Arizona. I have found screaming 10" inch Iron nails that probably sound like a 2 ounce nugget...

59 minutes ago, MannyScoot said:

I have found screaming 10" inch Iron nails that probably sound like a 2 ounce nugget...

That is the problem…is it a nail or…? Also, you have no doubt seen Rob Allison's posts and videos…he finds rather eye-popping gold in Arizona with incredible regularity…some of them quite big. Anyway, good hunting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flakmagnet said:

That is the problem…is it a nail or…? Also, you have no doubt seen Rob Allison's posts and videos…he finds rather eye-popping gold in Arizona with incredible regularity…some of them quite big. Anyway, good hunting.

Rob is a good guy.... He is currently helping me in obtaining a GPX 4500 ......

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, MannyScoot said:

Rob is a good guy.... He is currently helping me in obtaining a GPX 4500 ......

Rob hooked me up with some new wheels ..... Boxed like new 4500 with 2 years warranty..... Used once ....... Maybe I can find bigger gold now !!!!!!!!

MVIMG_20200124_164823-01.jpeg

MVIMG_20200124_164844-01.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kiwijw said:

How do you find the weight with the battery hooked in there. Do you use your left  arm to swing the detector?

Good luck out there

JW 🤠 

I used it yesterday for (6) hours and it's easy to handle.... The battery is lightweight aluminum so it's not heavy and I have 20" inch pythons to carry it around for 5 to 10 miles away from the truck and carry it back on my shoulder...... It's an easy machine to carry around....... but man get ready to dig deep .....