Buy 15" Coil For My Nox Or Buy A White's Dual Field?

I guess you’re saying you got a TDI SL now to run that DF coil on now . Is that correct?

Remember just the coil is waterproof not the control box .

I understand the budget part but I can assure you you won’t take it with you.

Bite the bullet and buy the TDIBH and if nothing else you’ll be happy 😃.

Chuck 

It’s a PI vs VLF thing. In low mineral beaches there is no huge depth advantage for a PI. A pulse induction loses less depth in highly mineralized conditions and so has a good depth edge if that is what you have to deal with. With a PI the price you pay is digging way more trash.... basically dig it all. VLF you have discrimination.

Florida white sands.... not much depth advantage to PI. West cost beaches and Hawaii, there is a depth advantage. And consider whether you like digging everything or want discrimination.

I had used a 17x15 coil on my AT Pro in the wet sand and it was stable in most areas vs the stock dd. Depth wise there wasn't any significant difference or not for the extra weight to swing. By no means the AT Pro can match the Nox on wet sand but just a rough comparison. In highly mineralized sand the smaller coil may fair better.

I have a dedicated PI and love it at the beach, no fussing with gb and picks up on fairly small targets but I noticed it seems softer on small silver compared to a IB machine in my area. There are ares None of the detectorist with IB machines can hit as the mineralization is way too high but PI can hit without a hitch. I do dig much more trash with the PI but that really depends on the beach.

You can always take your stock coil and just listen for how much iron and trash is in your area. Some beaches have little trash at all and others so riddled with iron you can't go more than a foot without digging something.

Dry and damp sand the IB would do equally well with the advantage of discrimination.

• Like 2

I wanted a cheaper PI to try and punch a little deeper than my Nox...which detects a 3.5 gram gold ring at 12 inches in the wet sand of Jones Beach (though ID is off but doesn't false as iron).  Going to give the 15" coil a shot.  At the very least it will help me cover more ground per swing.

I'm going to save my ducats for a Fisher AQ...if it turns out to be all that and a bag of chips.   

How deep does your SH Mark 2 go BTW?  It's one of the PIs I was looking at.

1 hour ago, JohnnyRox said:

I wanted a cheaper PI to try and punch a little deeper than my Nox...which detects a 3.5 gram gold ring at 12 inches in the wet sand of Jones Beach (though ID is off but doesn't false as iron).  Going to give the 15" coil a shot.  At the very least it will help me cover more ground per swing.

I'm going to save my ducats for a Fisher AQ...if it turns out to be all that and a bag of chips.   

How deep does your SH Mark 2 go BTW?  It's one of the PIs I was looking at.

Good coil for what it is, which is a ground coverage monster for the EQX.  Your depth increase will likely be a fraction of an inch vs. the stock at 11”, however, because the width if the coil (the dimension that primarily determines depth) is only 12”, 1” greater than stock 11” round.  All I am saying is don’t expect depth miracles with the 15”.  There is a fear that you might also lose sensitivity to small, shallow targets due to the less dense magnetic field, but I have been pleasantly surprised by its ability to sound off on micro targets similar to its smaller coil cousins.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By bklein
      I guess we can’t add videos to our posts?  Anyway, the default  setting FE and F2 is 2.  I set out a gold ring, old square I ron nail, and quarter. With FE or F2 set at defaults of 2, it seems to mask these targets.  Set to zero all is good.  (This is an EQ600). This seems to contradict the original videos that came out when the detector did.  Beach2 program.
    • By Eden
      Hi all ! and cheers for the add !

I have had the Nox for nearly 3 years now and have finally bitten the bullet and grabbed a Monster 😁 also this morning Eyyyyhaaa !

Now for the stupid first question (I've had a read and could not find anything in a post on it 😔)

Has anyone here tried a Nox 15 inch coil on the Gold Monster.
      The Nox can run at 40mHz and the Monster runs 45mHz so pretty close there and I have read (not confirmed) elsewhere that the coils have proprietry chips in them to stop interchangeability.

They both fit each others coils though even though some said the plugs would not but I have not been game to turn on the monster with the Nox's 15 inch coil plugged in.
      (Big chicken 🤣)
      The thought of the Monster with a 15 inch coil is so tempting
      So back to the big ask.
      Has anyone actually tried ?

(Ps love my 2 nox 800s)

• By Luis
      Normally I run the equinox in multi-frequency mode, but yesterday I tried to use it at 5Kz in field mode 1. Lately I am hunting with the Iron filters at 0, but I did not like it in the single frequency mode so I went to modify it and what was my surprise  it wouldn't let me enter the submenu to upload iron rejection.  I tried it with the partner's equinox in case it was a failure of mine and the same thing happened.  In single frequency mode it does not let you enter the iron rejection submenu.  Do you know what the reason is?
    • By Cascade Steven
      I am interested to learn more about the 7.5-inch mono versus the 7.5-inch Aussie coils that are available for the TDI series.  Is there an advantage of one coil design over the other when hunting for nuggets?  I have the standard 12-inch dual field and also a Super Pulse 150 coil and am curious whether I should add either or both of these coils to my collection?  Or should I purchase one of the new Nugget Finder 8x6 Sadie mono coils?  Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • By EWCoinhunter
      Hello,
      Anyone try Andy Sabisch coin setting on the Nox? What I would like to understand is I see there is offerings for the 800, but will they also work on the 600? Obviously I swing the 600, and coming from the Etrac using his settings, just wanted to make sure. I know the factory ones are good, but everything needs tweaked at one time or another.
      Thanks for any and all feedback. BTW, I am not new to MD, just to the Nox 600.
    • By Tony
      I opened up my TDIBH the other day for some fiddling around and checking out a few things. I powered up the detector with all of the guts and board opened up and had it hooked up to the 14.8v (4 x 18650 cells) battery pack. I had it going for just a few minutes when I gripped the circuit board as part of my “fiddling” around......well I dropped the board and swore a bit in response the burn I was expecting on my fingers. Well it turns out that on the opposite side of the board behind where the big capacitors sit is some sort of heat sink and I can tell you the heat from this spot was something else. The detector has and runs just perfect but the hotspot really surprised me. 
      I decided to hook up the 12v battery pack and let it run for a decent amount of time and it never got past a mild warm on the back of the board. That extra couple of volts is generating some serious extra heat.....bit like on the heat sink area of the CPU chip in your computer.
      I honestly don’t know if the detector can handle this extra heat long term but I’m not taking any chances. I’ve moved back to the 3 x 18650 battery pack which I knocked up when I first got the detector. There is a slight loss in depth but surprisingly not too much. I feel the performance of the 11.1v Lithium setup is maybe 1 to 2 inches behind the 14.8v “hot pack”.
      You can see in the photos the big caps on the detector and where the heat comes from. The other photo is my 11.1v pack which packs some punch and lasts much longer then the stock NiMH pack.