Buy 15" Coil For My Nox Or Buy A White's Dual Field?

I guess you’re saying you got a TDI SL now to run that DF coil on now . Is that correct?

Remember just the coil is waterproof not the control box .

I understand the budget part but I can assure you you won’t take it with you.

Bite the bullet and buy the TDIBH and if nothing else you’ll be happy 😃.

Chuck 

It’s a PI vs VLF thing. In low mineral beaches there is no huge depth advantage for a PI. A pulse induction loses less depth in highly mineralized conditions and so has a good depth edge if that is what you have to deal with. With a PI the price you pay is digging way more trash.... basically dig it all. VLF you have discrimination.

Florida white sands.... not much depth advantage to PI. West cost beaches and Hawaii, there is a depth advantage. And consider whether you like digging everything or want discrimination.

I had used a 17x15 coil on my AT Pro in the wet sand and it was stable in most areas vs the stock dd. Depth wise there wasn't any significant difference or not for the extra weight to swing. By no means the AT Pro can match the Nox on wet sand but just a rough comparison. In highly mineralized sand the smaller coil may fair better.

I have a dedicated PI and love it at the beach, no fussing with gb and picks up on fairly small targets but I noticed it seems softer on small silver compared to a IB machine in my area. There are ares None of the detectorist with IB machines can hit as the mineralization is way too high but PI can hit without a hitch. I do dig much more trash with the PI but that really depends on the beach.

You can always take your stock coil and just listen for how much iron and trash is in your area. Some beaches have little trash at all and others so riddled with iron you can't go more than a foot without digging something.

Dry and damp sand the IB would do equally well with the advantage of discrimination.

• Like 2

I wanted a cheaper PI to try and punch a little deeper than my Nox...which detects a 3.5 gram gold ring at 12 inches in the wet sand of Jones Beach (though ID is off but doesn't false as iron).  Going to give the 15" coil a shot.  At the very least it will help me cover more ground per swing.

I'm going to save my ducats for a Fisher AQ...if it turns out to be all that and a bag of chips.   

How deep does your SH Mark 2 go BTW?  It's one of the PIs I was looking at.

1 hour ago, JohnnyRox said:

I wanted a cheaper PI to try and punch a little deeper than my Nox...which detects a 3.5 gram gold ring at 12 inches in the wet sand of Jones Beach (though ID is off but doesn't false as iron).  Going to give the 15" coil a shot.  At the very least it will help me cover more ground per swing.

I'm going to save my ducats for a Fisher AQ...if it turns out to be all that and a bag of chips.   

How deep does your SH Mark 2 go BTW?  It's one of the PIs I was looking at.

Good coil for what it is, which is a ground coverage monster for the EQX.  Your depth increase will likely be a fraction of an inch vs. the stock at 11”, however, because the width if the coil (the dimension that primarily determines depth) is only 12”, 1” greater than stock 11” round.  All I am saying is don’t expect depth miracles with the 15”.  There is a fear that you might also lose sensitivity to small, shallow targets due to the less dense magnetic field, but I have been pleasantly surprised by its ability to sound off on micro targets similar to its smaller coil cousins.

• Like 2