Is The Gold Version Of The Fisher Impulse Wireless?

37 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

My thoughts:
As it's well known that wireless systems work poorly through water, particularly those at 2.4 GHz , the 'water absorption' frequency, it's perhaps no surprise the AQ is corded 'phone only.
However it is more viable on a land-based machine, where having a waterproof machine is a good thing, but a submersible one is not so essential.

There is no reason that wireless and a submersible machine are mutually exclusive.  See Equinox.  Designing it to use a wired set of phones for submerged use and wireless for above water ops is exactly how Equinox was configured.  So it is a valid feature for future consideration on any Impulse variant.  But again, Fisher has bigger fish to fry (pardon the pun) in the near term just to get the requisite regulatory certification for the AQ.  Speculating about later Impulse variants and features is at least a year down the road.

3 minutes ago, LE.JAG said:

watch the Deus, one of the best vlf in the world
the sound, on a ring or a gold coin is really bad
this is largely due to the 100% digital signal processing ...

I understand your point regarding digital compression of wireless audio signals, but I find that modern wireless audio transmisdion has pretty good fidelity.  Most of the digital audio artifacts are introduced in the digital signal processing by the detector itself.  Equinox tends to suffer from this.  Obviously not an issue with the analog Impulse AQ.

Actually, I have found the Deus to have the best tonal nuances of any detector I have used.  The difference between a nickel, gold ring, and pull tab all with similar visual ID numbers have subtle audio differences that are apparent to a trained ear.  Irregularly shaped aluminum presents an accordingly disorted audio signal that is telltale.  The Deus is an audio machine first and foremost and a pretty good one at that.

Regarding wireless audio, I have successfully configured my GPX to transmit audio wirelessly via low lag BT.  Audio nuances are key with the GPX and I have seen no degradation in audio quality whether wired or wireless.

All that being said, as I commented previously, there is no reason why both wireless and wired audio cannot be provided on the same machine, so it all seems like a moot point.  Give the end user appropriate options and you will have a winner.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 6:41 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Agree with Steve that if Fisher is not thinking about building this capability in natively, they risk looking like they are behind in industry feature trends for detectorist convenience.

That being said, it is a relatively simple matter to retrofit an affordable (<$60US) low lag wireless system using relatively inexpensive APTX LL bluetooth components to practically any detector with a headphone jack.  A lot less expensive proposition compared to proprietary wireless after market solutions offered by ML (ProSonic at $280), Garrett (Lynx at ~$130), and even Quest (at ~$100 - $160).

That is the setup I use for my GPX 4800.

Chase, can we see more of your Aptx wireless headphone setup??? I am having difficulty in getting a decent LL transmitter to plug into my GPX4500.... I'd be most appreciative seeing your full setup (transmitter, receiver & preferred headphones). Thanks ☺️☺️

I use the Trond Rx/Tx module below (Model Trond BT-DUO) , a short 1/4" plug to 1/8" plug patch cable to plug into the GPX battery/audio amplifier module and my Miccus SR-71 APTX APTX LL wireless headphones which serve double duty as my Equinox wireless phones (they have better audio than the stock ML branded phones for some reason, even though they are supposedly identical rebranded versions of the same design).  HTH

SmartSelect_20200126-202459_Chrome.jpg

1957904D-7472-45ED-B977-3A77D8B75703.jpeg.b3e0a60557dab47efea2d6af1f2ebba0.jpeg

• Like 6

Awesome, thanks Chase! ☺️

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aureous said:

Awesome, thanks Chase! ☺️

No problem.  Forgot to mention that the tiny matchbook size BT- Duo module just easily tucks out of the way into my GPX control box cover while detecting.  Module Battery lasts for 6 to 8 hours of swing time (I turn it off during breaks to conserve the tiny battery, I also carry a backup module for marathon hunts and can always just go wired with the Miccus phones in passive mode plugged directly into the GPX battery module jack using a longer audio patch cable in an "emergency" if all else fails).

• Like 1