Is The Gold Version Of The Fisher Impulse Wireless?

I have to tell you Fred that “I’m not very smart” self talk bothers me. You are not dumb so stop that nonsense. :smile:

The gold prospecting version of the Impulse is really barely more than a rumor. People in the know say testing is underway so we know it’s pretty much real, but even detectors undergoing testing often never come to market, so it is not 100%. We assume it will share the general look and feel of the Impulse AQ, but that is just an assumption. Personally I think making any detector without wireless these days is not forward thinking. Even the Impulse AQ would have benefitted since the majority of users will probably be beach walkers and shallow wading types. The fact is the Impulse AQ is not wireless and Fisher has not made a wireless detector yet so it’s a fairly low bet I’d say for the prospecting model. Maybe Alexandre can reveal more.

• Like 1

Agree with Steve that if Fisher is not thinking about building this capability in natively, they risk looking like they are behind in industry feature trends for detectorist convenience.

That being said, it is a relatively simple matter to retrofit an affordable (<$60US) low lag wireless system using relatively inexpensive APTX LL bluetooth components to practically any detector with a headphone jack.  A lot less expensive proposition compared to proprietary wireless after market solutions offered by ML (ProSonic at $280), Garrett (Lynx at ~$130), and even Quest (at ~$100 - $160).

That is the setup I use for my GPX 4800.

• Like 2

Ok, Steve...I will henceforth and forever not say that again...even if that is how all these tecno-geeks make me feel.

Thanks, Steve...I know it doesn't exist yet...but, if it ever does.....

Thanks, Chase

I know the proprietary models are expensive but I like stock equipment. I have had no problems with the three units with modules; and I don't mine paying if it is what I want.

fred

Fred,  I get it.  It is easier to just use the manufacturers turnkey proprietary wireless solutions, because you know they will "just work" out of the box. 

But my motivation to go BT is not just about cost, it is also about universal compatibility.  BT is one of two compatible wireless solutions for Equinox (and Vanquish) so sticking with that universal industry standard allows me to use my BT APTX LL headphones with my Equinox as well as with my GPX or any other detector I choose, ML or otherwise.  It means I don't have to deal with ML's infuriating model dependent proprietary solutions (the Equinox WM08 module is not compatible with the ML Pro Sonic or the CTX WM10 which is also not compatible with the ML Pro Sonic).  Kudos to ML for providing wireless capability, boo on their non-interchangeble, non-compatible proprietary hardware across product lines. 

I am all for universal wireless standards instead of proprietary solutions.  Don't need all the different brand specific wireless modules and headphones for Nokta, Minelab, XP cluttering up the gear bag.  So not a fan of the dedicated proprietary solutions that frankly don't work any better than BT APTX LL except on a spec sheet (17 ms for the WM08 vs. 30 ms delay for BT APTX LL is imperceptible to most humans if we are being honest with ourselves).  I know that the detector manufacturers are motivated to re-invent the wheel not because their wheel works any better than BT, but because they can make some $ off the end user by keeping them in theirvbrand soecific walled technology garden (much like Apple does to my disdain). 

I know, pretty cynical, but detector manufacturers should stick to designing detectors and adopt existing universal industry standards for wireless audio, integrated GPS, watertight connectors, smartphone integration etc.  ML made a step in the right direction by integrating BT into the Equinox and Vanquish, so just they shoukd just stop with the proprietary wireless audio claptrap. 

Sorry for the rant...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

My thoughts:
As it's well known that wireless systems work poorly through water, particularly those at 2.4 GHz , the 'water absorption' frequency, it's perhaps no surprise the AQ is corded 'phone only.
However it is more viable on a land-based machine, where having a waterproof machine is a good thing, but a submersible one is not so essential.

2 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

My thoughts:
As it's well known that wireless systems work poorly through water, particularly those at 2.4 GHz , the 'water absorption' frequency, it's perhaps no surprise the AQ is corded 'phone only.
However it is more viable on a land-based machine, where having a waterproof machine is a good thing, but a submersible one is not so essential.

I disagree, all my gold prospecting is done in rivers, if it is not submersible it is no use to me.

"Not so essential" was meant to infer that the majority of potential customers wouldn't be wanting it to operate completely submerged.
I am unsure what the 'Terra' is supposed to be, I'm wary of making assumptions as to what niches it's targeting. I would suggest 'bad dirt' would be a PI strong point, so the lucrative nugget-hunting market would be an obvious direction to develop the AQ.

• Like 1

personally i am not in favor of wireless
digital sound processing
to tendency / to crush the subtlety of tonality

watch the Deus, one of the best vlf in the world
the sound, on a ring or a gold coin is really bad
this is largely due to the 100% digital signal processing ...

But, I recognize that for hunting nuggets
it's different / there is little pollution
and you dig all the sounds ..
i think there will definitely be
sooner or later wireless option

• Like 2