Detectors Which Challenges AQ In Raw Depth

There are so many variables ..... person, machine and conditions when it comes to depth.   My hopes is we get a deeper machine in the water........AND it can actually ID and disc. at near the same depth.  Some one want to do some real testing....... bury that gold ring in the salt water about waist deep....... lets see what ya get.   

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Denny said:

I doubt if ATX will detect deeper than the AQ even with a mono coil.

Because we have have so much real world performance data on the AQ vs. the ATX...

You may eventually be proven right, but right now we know practically nothing about real world performance of AQ with in the hands of an average detectorist vs. any established PI with the exception of a few posted edited videos.  Better than we had before Rick got his production unit, but still scant real world performance data, nevertheless.

• Like 4

On 1/15/2020 at 5:24 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Been nice if Carter Pennington got one of the first "AQ's", he does do some interesting tests. And he hunts in the water with most, not just the wet sand.

I think the same.Have seen all of his videos and he seems to be a very nice guy with honest testing everything.I thing as well that he is a very good candidate to test an AQ!!!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 5:08 PM, PPP said:

Its hard to believe that TDIBH beat the ATX in depth.Do you mean by ATX large coil 12inch coil or the big deepseeker? i have both and used both in wet sand and in saltwater.The big deepseeker(20x15 i think) is constantly overload in the water and you have to push the reset button all the time to calm it down.I have seen a lot of TDIBH videos, but didnt see deep targets recovered with it.Unfortunatly there isnt any comparisson video regarding TDIBH vs ATX

On the ATX the coil was the 12” one......also to add to my post, the depths the ring was found at were;

1. 18” for the TDIBH

2. 17” for the Deepstar 3

3. 16” for the SD2100

4. 15” for the ATX........and still quite noisy in the salty sand.

The TDIBH isn’t running any more power / current to the coil than the Deepstar or SD but the very smooth threshold on the Whites allows the faintest signals to be heard. This test was done by another person burying the ring at 18” in an area of 10m x 10m as well as having another area of the same size with nothing buried in it (both zones were then raked flat). Operators were told there was a ring in one of the set areas but not in the other (unknown to the operators which zone had the ring). 5 minutes was allocated to each area. The ATX left both areas looking like it had been carpet bombed.

Tony 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those two , three films out there showing AQ in action only in wet sand. I am a water hunter and its beome a little bit hesitating if AQ can be used like my other machins in the water? I'm not seeking a diving machine cause i dont dive only wading in shallow water.

• Like 1

Tony I’m curious.... if the ring was buried at a specific depth did you keep moving to get the depth of each?    I ask that because if a target is buried say at 10” just raising the coil doesn’t  necessarily equal depth.

We reduced the buried target depth at 1” increments.....it sure took some time to do !

Started out at 18” buried depth and then worked our way down to 15” where the ATX found the target.

Tony 

• Like 1

Just curious myself Tony ATX vs TDIBH. Are we talking ground balance on or off on the TDI? If it was ground balance off, was the ATX set up properly for ground balance neutral? Having run both there should be no digging false targets with the ATX... something was off with the tuning. If anything a quieter, smoother threshold is obtainable with an ATX.

Garrett Atx Vs Minelab GPX 5000

Hello Steve,

TDI was GB off.

The guy running the ATX was quite experienced, mainly prospecting but knew how to set it up for beach work. The ATX needed the Sensitivity turned down in order to get a  smooth threshold. We agreed that all detectors had to have sensitivity set at whatever level provided a smooth threshold and didn’t false in the general target area. Initially the ATX was set with sensitivity too high which lead to multiple false signals. Once the ATX was adjusted then the threshold was smooth and all falsing stopped.......but the signal depth was about 3” below the TDI which ran smoothly at max Gain and 10us pulse delay. 
Tony

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tony. I think in a beach setting the TDI gets the edge due to the ability to turn off the ground balance. You can minimize the GB on the ATX but not actually shut it off, so the filter is always in place. Once you engage the ground balance of the TDI the differences largely disappear. Anyway, that all jives with my experiences, so thanks for confirming. I’ve generally considered the TDI to be better for beach detecting but prefer the ATX for gold prospecting due to the dual channel processing, which helps eliminate the huge depth hole that exists on the TDI on approximately 1/4 ounce gold targets when the ground balance is engaged. You will lose over 50% of your depth or entirely lose targets that fall near or in the hole the TDI creates with ground balance engaged. This does happen on a range of gold rings for people who are using the TDI on beaches with ground balance engaged. Pick the right rings and I can create an ATX versus TDI test that would embarrass the TDI. All machines have a weak spot, and that GB hole is the TDI Achilles heel. GB off eliminates the problem. The ATX is using dual channel processing which is more akin to what Minelab uses in their gold prospecting detectors to address the issue.

• Like 3