It Doesn't Get Any Better...

Congratulations on a fantastic find and another bucket lister.  Am yet to join the gold coin club myself, hopefully there is a gold sovereign out there with my name on it (wishful thinking)!  

Absolutely beautiful find and in fantastic condition.

'Wow' doesn't do this justice, but that's the best word I can come up with!  I have Donald H. Kagin's Private Gold Coins and Patterns of the United States and you've inspired me to read up on this private California mint.  You can see a fairly substantial excerpt here.

I sometimes try and grade coins from photos posted here, but I'll forego such an attempt other than to say the condition is obviously high (not news to anyone...).  Apparently these coins circulated quite a bit on average, but yours didn't.  Easily a 4 figure coin.  Territorial issues aren't as widely collected as official US mint coins but that doesn't take away from its rarity nor the pride in finding one.

It's great to have metal detecting friendships and yours and Strick's must be one of the best.  At least it was until this showed up.  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s almost a perfect find as far as I am concerned if a person is also a prospector. A coin that says it is made of mined California gold right on the coin, and from 1849, the first year of the gold rush and why people call them the 49ers.

We all talk about finds of a lifetime, and this truly qualifies. That calls for another congratulations!

• Like 6