Where Is Fisher On The Impulse?

Wish I had more info to offer, but I don't. There is no question the Impulse is difficult to build, and is quite different from what the FT factory is used to producing. That is a big part of the problem. But I have no doubt that the Impulse will make it out the door. Don't ask me when, I really don't know.

P.S. -- the Fisher web site will soon get a major facelift.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Well there you go, from the horses mouth so to speak. He has no doubt it will make it out the door! Good to read from him!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Geotech said:

Wish I had more info to offer, but I don't. There is no question the Impulse is difficult to build, and is quite different from what the FT factory is used to producing. That is a big part of the problem. But I have no doubt that the Impulse will make it out the door. Don't ask me when, I really don't know.

P.S. -- the Fisher web site will soon get a major facelift.

Thanks Carl for weighing in. I have to admit my post was hoping to have somebody do just that. I can guess you have been trying hard to knock one issue down after another. It is good to hear you are confident of eventual success, as the Impulse is the only new detector I’ve had any real interest in for the last couple years to the point of wanting to get one. Thanks again for the ray of hope. We are counting on you! :smile:

• Like 5

This is good news but honestly how much work is required by consumers to convince a company that they are interested in their products?  To think that it took this much effort from a person of Steve's stature to get a Fisher response is really just plain silly.  We've had Le Jag and Rick try earnestly to do this on their own time when it really is the responsibility of the company to professionally get the word out, right?

I'm hoping that this web site facelift includes an Impulse AQ page.  If it doesn't than Fisher will have botched yet another opportunity to reach its customer base.

• Like 4

I love this forum, I think it's cool as hell I can hear from the HMFIC and the designer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

This is good news but honestly how much work is required by consumers to convince a company that they are interested in their products?

This may seem like a significant interest to a garage outfit like Tarsacci (no offense intended, but a few hunded niche detectors units sold), but to FT, the interest of 20 or so hard core detectorists is hardly a blip on the radar screen.  As mentioned before, this is a nice evolutionary step in refining the targeted implemetation of EXISTING technology (there is no actual basic technology breakthrough here).  And for a niche application (salt water jewelry hunting) in a specialized hobby, with little to no industrial or military crossover capability.  So the lack of versatility, despite awesome specialized capability, coupled with possible mass manufacting difficulties and international regulatory compliance requirements issues make this a VERY risky proposition for FT.  It will get released when ready and cajoling from the sidelines of a forum are not going to move the needle at all, sad to say, despite the fact that this is the best MD forum in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure it is good for FT to know that there are at least a few rabid interested buyers, and for every rabid buyer there are going to be many who are silent. So I think lobbying and letting FT know we are interested is extremely important. If nobody cares.... they best hang it up.

I'm a very long term hard core detectorist, I can have anything I want, and they only thing I'm interested in getting beyond what I have right now is an Impulse. That's got to count for something. As a retailer I always looked to what I wanted to determine if there was a market, and I rarely was wrong. I've got a pretty good nose for what detectorists want. Beach hunters chase gold, and Minelab proved long ago the gold market is pretty immune to detector pricing, if you can just deliver some kind of edge. I think this machine will offer a true edge, and therefore it will sell even if the price comes in a little high. If I was still a dealer I expect I'd do pretty well with these. The main problem initially is surely going to be supply. If they are a unit that is slow to build, demand could easily outstrip available supplies for quite some time.

Though if I was running FT if that's how it's going to play I'd cut dealers out of the loop and go factory direct. It would help keep the price lower, and most dealers these days are just order takers and drop shippers anyway. Somebody is going to do it sooner or later, and this machine would be the perfect machine to use as a test bed for a factory direct model.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

This is good news but honestly how much work is required by consumers to convince a company that they are interested in their products?  To think that it took this much effort from a person of Steve's stature to get a Fisher response is really just plain silly. 

Outside of myself, I doubt there is anyone in FTP who pays much attention to forums. They mostly focus on Facebook & such. I try not to say much because I've been chastised a few times in the past for doing so. Rick & LeJag have a bit more leeway.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

It's amazing to me, that companies whose profit margins are being squeezed these days by competition, would adapt this strategy in putting their products to market.  You would think that getting a machine out there quickly would be in their best interest. I don't know if FTP is a publicly traded company, but I would think their shareholders would start to complain. It makes absolutely no sense to talk about your new product and showcase it's capabilities, so that other manufacturers can have the time to roll out a similar model to yours. I want that machine and I want it now. If I'm forced to wait another year or two and Minelab comes out with a waterproof, upgraded GPX 5000 (or better), I will buy it and forget all about Fisher. Life is short and wasting years waiting on a machine is just ridiculous. In the old days when White's,  Garrett, Compass, announced a new machine, it was already in it's dealers hands (including additional coils, etc...) Corporations are like mini governments..... too many people deciding and delaying production. It's really simple guys .... just produce it and release it quickly and you will make more money. This is the best thing that Fisher has had happen to them in many, many years and they just can't seem to move on it. Just makes me shake my head in disbelief .