Where Is Fisher On The Impulse?

I'd like to make a comment here, not specific to the Impulse AQ, but instead to the civility of the discussions on Steve's forum.  Let's be honest, on any other metal detecting forum, some if not all of us would have been torched for just offering honest opinions within this thread.  Instead, when there is a difference of opinion, it is discussed with courtesy and respect.  I'd just like to thank all of you folks for maintaining this standard of integrity and class in this environment that Steve has created and for making it an enjoyable forum in which to participate.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

I'd like to make a comment here, not specific to the Impulse AQ, but instead to the civility of the discussions on Steve's forum.  Let's be honest, on any other metal detecting forum, some if not all of us would have been torched for just offering honest opinions within this thread.  Instead, when there is a difference of opinion, it is discussed with courtesy and respect.  I'd just like to thank all of you folks for maintaining this standard of integrity and class in this environment that Steve has created and for making it an enjoyable forum in which to participate.

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Funny how if you tell people they have to behave as adults the ones that don't want to just generally stay away. If not, they are they only ones that get torched around here. I don't want numbers, I want quality, and you guys are it! :smile:

Besides the treasure trove of information and expertise here, that is why I said earlier in the thread that this is the greatest forum in the world. :smile:

• Like 1

One happy result of the seemingly endless process of getting the mechanical package, production process and certifications done in El Paso is that Alexandre has been constantly pushing the boundaries of what the AQ is capable of. In the MANY months of slow progress towards full production, he has made multiple improvements in circuitry etc., resulting in a series of progressively improved boards, culminating in the released for production version.

Here is part of an email I got from him late last year as a result of asking him to comment on statements on another forum that there was no way a PI could operate at 7microsec. delay in salt water....

“I have reduced noise by 90% with a new electronic system (he is referring to the issued for production version) and I have reduced variations due to seawater conductivity. A variation in conductivity due to salt at 15µs of pulse delay on a FOSTER (the TDI is of course is an Eric Foster design) is equivalent to a variation at 8 µs on the IMPULSE AQ in terms of stability and salt conductivity compensation.”

Other results I am aware of as a result of this continuous evolution of the design are - reduced depth penalty for using higher levels of iron ID, expanded range of low conductor acceptance to include higher carat gold acceptance when using iron ID and a completely new mode of operation for Volcanic Sand and other extreme conditions which would totally shut down a VLF and many PI’s

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2020 at 9:53 PM, phrunt said:

I've mothballed my T2 and Gold Bug Pro as they've both been superseded by an entry level detector from a competitor for my needs... after all they're very old models... yet, still the current models. :wacko: 

IMG_8775.JPG

Is superseded the right word?  maybe demolished, nuked, smashed? you pick.  Maybe they just like selling toys to kiddies at Walmart, that's the big chain store in the US selling Bounty Hunters, correct? 🙂

Walmart is the USA's biggest discount department store chain.  Interestingly (I hope) I relay the following.  I was today at Bass Pro Shops, which is the biggest(?) hunting/fishing/camping/outdoor megastore in the US right now, along with its recent sister acquisition, Cabellas.  Whenever I go by there (it's ~90 miles from my home, so not often), no matter what I'm after I take a look at their metal detectors.  Here's what I saw today (in round numbers since I detest the '99' game), and I was surprised at their upgrading:

Vanquish 340 @$200,

Vanquish 540 Pro pack @ $500,

All three of Garrett's top VLF's (ATMax, ATGold, ATPro) but don't remember the prices,

Garrett's Ace 400 and Ace 300 (looked like competitively priced),

Teknetics T2 Classic (green) @$500,

A couple lower priced (near bottom of the line?) Teknetics models,

ProPointer AT (aka "carrot") competitively priced, Garrett's hand digger, and some low priced Bounty Hunter accessories -- headphones and pinpointer.

Probably to no one's surprise is that these were all on a 5 ft X 8 ft shelf, in a store the size of multiple football fields, with no indication that anyone there knows the least bit about metal detectors.  Caveat Emptor.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:53 PM, phrunt said:

I should become a motivational speaker.

Can't help myself.  You've reminded me of this frequent commercial on USA TV.

• Like 2

The whole system of geography exclusive distribution agreements is collapsing. The right to sell X in region Y is toast.  World wide distribution and online sales from Amazon and the likes have doomed that, I expect that the Minelab agent in NZ is doing OK for now.

It is an old fashioned system based on limited communication and limited payment systems. It will die.

The future is either Amazon or the like or a sort of “concierge” system of low friction but high support seller to buyer arrangement. 

• Like 1

Nobody can beat Amazon for delivering exactly what you have chosen in a day or so and at a rock bottom price. And if you want to return, just take it (boxed up or not) to UPS, they scan a QR code Amazon gave you and your money is back on your card.

Nobody can compete with that - it’s retail Godzilla.

But there is “concierge” service still viable. Offer advice, guidance, near equal rights of return (maybe with a modest restocking charge) - after all I don’t have Bezos’ billions - and unmatchable reach back to not only the producer, but the designer.

That’s my plan for the AQ if FTP lets me play in their “pool”.

• Like 3

Perhaps they have said all they can and now it is totally in the hands of First Texas. But... LE Jag did mention another video forthcoming ...