Metal Detecting *is* History!

I had to stop and contemplate the following occurrences.  In the past ~week we've seen/heard of three absolutely historical US metal detecting finds.  Idaho Peg discovered that her chunk of silver from Florida's Treasure Coast is quite likely from the 1715 Fleet, one of the two or three most famous treasures found in the Western Hemisphere.  2Valen reports on his multi-year quest for a Civil War cache which preliminarily produces a soldier's possessions including eight gold coins, four of which he is rewarded and displays here.  Then Goldbrick tells us about his amazing 1849 privately minted $5 gold piece from the first year of the California Gold Rush.  Has this sunk in:  1715 Fleet (lost in a hurricane on its way to Spain) silver coins, US Civil War gold coin cache, and California Gold Rush rare privately minted coin?  I don't know what history is still taught in schools but I sure hope these finds represent it.  It excites me just reading about these; I can't imagine how I would feel if I were experiencing them first hand!  'Bucket List' labelling doesn't do them justice.

Top that, detectorprospector.com members (and I hope you do).

• Like 9

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I can't imagine how I would feel if I were experiencing them first hand! 

Well  thank you for your kind words, but nothing can eclipse the treasures that you have unearthed and have shared with us. 

I look forward to read anything new that you have found and post on this forum for all of us.

The research that you do is outstanding and very informative for all, and helps people to learn different things. Like cleaning coins and other topics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

I have a sore back from all the digging with my sluice

Simon,

Stop using the sluice to dig with and use a shovel. I don't care how big the sluice is a shovel works better.

Now go soak in a very hot tub, and get back to swinging that detector.

• Haha 2