phrunt

Aftermarket Equinox Coils

I figured I should post this here as I posted the information elsewhere on the forum that's less relevant than here.

Our extremely innovative Russian friends have managed to make a range of aftermarket coils for the Equinox, they remove the security chip out of your coil, reseal your coil and give you an adapter which then allows you to run aftermarket coils.  They make a range of sizes too.   My pick of the bunch would be the 9.5x5.5!

PriceEquinox.png

That's the range of sizes and pricing in Russian currency.

You can find out more about it here on these Russian forums, you'll have to use Google translate or something similar to read it.

Original thread

http://foxmd.ru/index.php?route=product/category&path=77_92

More information

http://foxmd.ru/index.php?route=product/category&path=93

And videos from them about the coils

and lucky last 🙂

When nobody can do it, the Russians do and they do it well.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Our extremely innovative Russian friends have managed to make a range of aftermarket coils for the Equinox

Thanks Simon, this is really good to know.

$320 for a DD 20, can't go wrong.. how do you go about ordering any of these coils? I've tried to have a look at some of these coils for my Foxy Noxy but when you go to the specifications of each coil (by clicking on the image) it shows that it is made for a whole range of Minelab detectors except the Equinox.. Maybe it's all lost in translation somehow? You can't ask them as there is no way to leave a message..

I wouldn't rush into it until more is known about it, you'd need the adapter for a start, probably cheaper to buy a 6" and make your own seeing it's the cheapest coil, it looks very simple to make. 

IMG_20190517_160919.jpg

You could always email them  info@foxmd.ru

• Like 2

I've just emailed them explaining in very simple English that I might be interested in some of their coils (and adaptors) for my Foxy Noxy.. We'll see if we get a nibble.. I promise i'm holding back on this one, just curious to see what these coils are all about.. And i do admire their honesty in explaining how they adapt Minelab coils to fit your purpose (unlike our Chinese friends)..   

Am I reading it right that the 9.5x5.5 is $82 US?

Just the 2 coils Minelab already have moulded for the Gold Monster but adapted to work on the Equinox would be a great start. The Equinox has a gold mode but not a coil that is easily used in gold type ground or environments.    

It’s great that someone is having a go and making some useful products for the consumer but the need for these connectors and adaptors and the risk of frying machines and defaulting warranties, crikey!  Come on Minelab, either get your act together and make a variety of coils for a particular machine or work really hard at allowing someone else to do it legitimately. 
The current going’s on are farcical. 

Or at least make a statement about why you won’t allow others to make coils, why you aren’t making coils or if you will make coils and when.  

I’ve purchased 4 different Minelab machines in 4 years (including your most expensive) and have referred several other customers to buy Minelab as well.  But to be honest I’m starting to lose faith that you have any customer focus at all. 

That is my first ever Minelab rant and would be glad if it was my last.  Please start listening to what your customers want.  

• Like 7

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

I wouldn't rush into it until more is known about it, you'd need the adapter for a start, probably cheaper to buy a 6" and make your own seeing it's the cheapest coil, it looks very simple to make. 

IMG_20190517_160919.jpg

You could always email them  info@foxmd.ru

Simon, on the photo it shows the wire soldered onto the post and the tag end extending to short against the post above. Do you think that's intentional and why? I just ask because I know you know this kinda stuff and might have an idea.

38 minutes ago, Lacky said:

Simon, on the photo it shows the wire soldered onto the post and the tag end extending to short against the post above. Do you think that's intentional and why? I just ask because I know you know this kinda stuff and might have an idea.

Hard to see on the photo, but they seem to have changed the coil side plug to a different type with lesser pins. The wire soldered to the connector casing is probably just a shield wire.

All what it has now is 2 TX, 2 RX, 1 shield.

yes, it's looking like a shield wire going to the connector, same thing is done with the X-coils adapter to prevent noise.  I will see if I can get the money together to buy one of their coils at some point soon like the 9.5 x 5.5 but I have a rather big investment going on at the moment which will slow me down and then I'll buy another 6 inch as a sacrificial coil seeing it's the cheapest coil to get the chip out of it and give it a go.  I should be able to put the 6" back together and just use it as a dry land coil as I wouldn't bother trying to make it waterproof again after opening it up 🙂  I'll just use some black marine grade epoxy to glue it all back together.  I have a few litres of it in my garage from when I was fixing the ol' boat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1