All Metal ( Non Motion )

broadfield

Deus doesn’t have a true all metal mode.  About the closest usable facsimile (i.e., minimal filtering) is Gold Field where you can run with zero iron rejection (not discrimination like the other modes Deus Dast, Hot Deep, etc.) with VCO audio and you can apply a non-SAT threshold tone.  It is a motion mode, though.  In addition to pinpoint, there are 3 non-motion modes Audio Disc, All Metal, and Disc.  Haven’t used them much, but non-motion All Metal (the mode you referenced in the thread title) will sound off on anything that changes the ground reference (targets or ground mineralization fluctuations).

Guest Tnsharpshooter
29 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Deus doesn’t have a true all metal mode.  About the closest usable facsimile (i.e., minimal filtering) is Gold Field where you can run with zero iron rejection (not discrimination like the other modes Deus Dast, Hot Deep, etc.) with VCO audio and you can apply a non-SAT threshold tone.  It is a motion mode, though.  In addition to pinpoint, there are 3 non-motion modes Audio Disc, All Metal, and Disc.  Haven’t used them much, but non-motion All Metal (the mode you referenced in the thread title) will sound off on anything that changes the ground reference (targets or ground mineralization fluctuations).

Might depend on which version Deus one is operating.  According to Xp gold field mode is a true am mode.       https://www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com/xp-deus-version-3-features

There is no actual universal definition of what “all metal mode” is and what a manufacturer labels all metal is often not what it used to mean. Which basically is an unfiltered (no discrimination) threshold based mode. Nothing says an SAT control is required... the threshold autotune rate can be preset, adjustable, or in the case or true non-motion, completely absent. These days we often get “zero disc” modes labeled as all metal modes. With newer digital detectors the distinction is getting pretty fuzzy. Most people would consider the Deus Gold Field mode to be an all metal mode and from my use I’d say so and a pretty good one at that.

Your note about non-motion normally applies to pinpoint modes and very old all metal non-motion modes, like on the original analog Gold Bug. There are few examples on modern detectors outside the pinpoint modes... you almost always need some coil motion in most all metal modes. The Fisher F75 Static All Metal mode is a true non-motion mode, and I think there are a couple on the Nokta/Makro Impact if I recall correctly. A true non motion mode by definition can’t have an SAT control since there is no autotuning engaged, but must be manually retuned as the threshold drifts. On the old Gold Bug below this was via the Retune button, and when using a pinpoint mode the pinpoint button or trigger resets the threshold.

The old Gold Bug is instructive because it is a pure all metal threshold machine, no discrimination exists in it at all. The mode button only engages whether it is non-motion (using the retune button) or two different autotune settings. Auto Tune is a preset autotune threshold (like an SAT control glued at one setting) and the Motion mode is a silent auto tuning, no threshold mode.

Threshold Autotune, SAT & V/SAT

fisher-gold-bug-controls-autotune.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Gary has a video on the non-motion modes. Notice he first says "get a threshold." (TUNE is the same as Threshold)  He is using Non Motion Audio DISC but there is a Non Motion AM (All Metal) which I use for checking targets.The idea is to listen for the short, sharp response of a non-ferrous. Sometimes the aluminum alloys will show themselves, too. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JohnnyRox said:

So how deep does the Deus hit, say a dime, in non motion audio disc?  

Also, does the ORX have non motion audio disc?

Don't know the answer to the first question (other than at least as deep as the motion modes), but with respect to the second, ORX only has pinpoint as its one non-motion mode.

Thanks in regards to the ORX.  Does pinpoint mode work like on the Nox, where it just stops working if you forget it on and continue searching after digging up a find, or is it like the Excal where you can just search in PP mode and when you find something, you can switch it back to disc mode and see if it's a ferrous or nonferrous target?  

In regards to the Deus, I noticed in the video posted that he was able to locate a target in non motion audio disc but the target didn't register when he switched over to gold mode.  That's why I'm wondering if the Deus hits deeper in non motion audio disc than in motion modes.