Floating Screens / Sieves

One reason I made this type of Sifter is I have several beach's I have to walk a distance to get to so I needed light weight and easy to carry. I just loop the pull rope over my head and it crosses my shoulders to carry, it rides on my side.

I used a bread tray from the local grocery story, trimmed it up but did leave the handle on one side for when I need to empty the shells or debris in the water I just push the handle down to flip the sifter and push it back. Plus its a good way to carry it coming out of the water.

Very easy to make, some short cable ties, 4 inch and larger one's for the Noodle,.... 24 inch heavy duty

Then the mesh, I get from McMaster Carr. And a friend of mine gave me something called Rock shield which seems to last forever.

The Pool noodles I have used several and found I like the real big Jumbo size, and the reason is I like to slam my scoop in the sifter when I'm dumping the scoop. The big jumbo noodle breaks the shock of the scoop when the handle hits the noodle. Saving the plastic mesh, got those off of Amazon. 

326527_2.jpg

326527_4.jpg

326527_3.jpg

326527_5.jpg

326527_1.jpg

• Like 9

Steve I have two bread tray sifters and I'm getting ready to redo one sifters with a smaller plastic mesh. I just came across this the other day and ordered. Should be here in a few weeks...I have one spot I get lots of little things by "accident" .........most come up with another bigger target I was digging......Like. Ear rings, charms, small gold chains....Hoping it's what I need and can help me save a few of the gold ones ......It was a Small beach but really packed them in during the 30's to 60's.  I'm not really a Micro Jewelry hunter but nothing worse then seeing a gold earing post fall thru the holes in the sifter....Got it off of ebay, used for the bottom of planters or pots to keep the soil from washing out..I'll keep you informed on this..

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

I made this version and it worked well and is light as can be. Only change I made was I used a 3/4 inch tubing I spliced to make a circle for the shape instead of PVC, mostly because I had it sitting in my garage.

• Like 2

I almost got this scoop from Deeptech but the handle is too short for me as I don't want to squat down. The scoop part looks effective but holse might be too big for the small stuff. Other option is a mud shovel but need to see if the holes are small enough on those too.

image.png.1b3e99f875aa8c67b18a2123e9c89a86.png

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 3:53 AM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Steve I have two bread tray sifters and I'm getting ready to redo one sifters with a smaller plastic mesh. I just came across this the other day and ordered. Should be here in a few weeks...I have one spot I get lots of little things by "accident" .........most come up with another bigger target I was digging......Like. Ear rings, charms, small gold chains....Hoping it's what I need and can help me save a few of the gold ones ......It was a Small beach but really packed them in during the 30's to 60's.  I'm not really a Micro Jewelry hunter but nothing worse then seeing a gold earing post fall thru the holes in the sifter....Got it off of ebay, used for the bottom of planters or pots to keep the soil from washing out..I'll keep you informed on this..

s-l1600.jpg

Hi Joe!

Could you please give the info about this chineese(i think) net you have purchased from internet.i would like to buy one.I wanted to buy a PVC net but i think its not gonna last long in salt water.Thanks

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 9:48 AM, PPP said:

Hi Joe!

Could you please give the info about this chineese(i think) net you have purchased from internet.i would like to buy one.I wanted to buy a PVC net but i think its not gonna last long in salt water.Thanks

I would not call it the strongest but it does seem to be holding well. I think in part for two reasons. I use the big noodle (which takes the blunt of force of the scoop hitting it)  and I have another matting under to support. I've been using it for about 3 or 4 months now, no issues... 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Plastic-Drainage-Mesh-Sheet-1m-x-50cm-Cuttable-Pot-Bottom-Net-Roll/273294773156?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I bought one of the $21 Matlock sifters on Amazon, and turned that concept into a better one. Got some 3mm ballistic nylon mesh and replaced the galvanized 1/4" screen with it. Totally undetectable.

20210211_185332.jpg

41EcMcv8lfL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Like 4