New Minelab Pi Announcement Date 2020

1 hour ago, Aureous said:

which shows its more of a hybrid system with perhaps PI as its core.

I thought that is similar to what I had read somewhere.  Perhaps from JP on here?  Perhaps heard it on the GPZ Minelab vids?  I can’t remember.   

I am having 2 guesses about the future announcement.  

1) An updated 5000 simply in a better housing with built in battery and wireless audio, etc.  

2) An updated 7000 in a lighter housing with a little bit of new tech involved.   

Not announcing either properly now so they don’t hurt current sales of their 2 flagship detectors. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Northeast said:

1) An updated 5000 simply in a better housing with built in battery and wireless audio, etc.  

2) An updated 7000 in a lighter housing with a little bit of new tech involved.  

I'm not sure why they would essentially go backwards, at least as far as the platforms go. Who is going to want to pay for a lighter housing and a little bit of new tech on a machine that's already essentially out there?

If there were a substantial price drop along with it (7000's here are being resold for under $6k), perhaps that might be something but not sure it would further the ML brand as such from their business side.

I think a new release is going to have to be a jump in everything; tech (including coils that address the x-coil advancement), weight and yes, a better price.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Who is going to want to pay for a lighter housing and a little bit of new tech on a machine that's already essentially out there?

Me.

Think CTX 3030 and Equinox. Was anyone interested in paying for a lighter housing and a little bit of new tech on a machine that's already essentially out there? I ditched my CTX 3030 the minute I got my hands on an Equinox.

I also have an iPhone now instead of a rotary phone, but I am sure my iPhone is no better at making phone calls.  :smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Who is going to want to pay for a lighter housing and a little bit of new tech on a machine that's already essentially out there?

Me too.

Lighter, more ergonomic, and environmentally rugged (at least weatherproof) PI or ZVT package with the exact same performance specs would be worth it for me.  The only thing that would factor into my decision would be the resulting price point.

If we consider the drip-feed improvements from the pl 2000 to 5000...changes were incremental but always better. 
Then the mighty ZED was born....we can hope for big changes and improvements,

however past performance is an indication of future performance...but, I hope not!

fred  

• Like 1

However it goes it will be interesting. It would be cool to see an Equinox-like ZVT detector that's for sure, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flakmagnet said:

If there were a substantial price drop along with it (7000's here are being resold for under $6k)

Forget resold, I paid a bit over $6k for my 2nd GPZ brand new, just by shopping around a lot. GPZ's have been sold used and out of warranty for more than the person paid for them brand new. I know some people only paid in the upper $4k's for their machines new and I saw the ads reselling them for more than that out of warranty now. The "secret" ML pricing scheme in the US is pretty bogus IMO.

If it's a couple hundred bucks difference with Equinox pricing, then meh, whatever. But when one person pays $5000 more than another, it's pretty slimy.

If the next machine uses ZVT, PI, or VLF then a big chunk of the R&D is done. So I would expect that even a machine with real tech advancements but still uses those methods would still be much cheaper than the 7000 was. But it's ML, so who knows, it'll probably be a million bucks. The pricing already appears to be completely arbitrary, like that TV show Who's Line is it Anyways "where everything is made up and the points don't matter". 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, jasong said:

Forget resold, I paid a bit over $6k for my 2nd GPZ brand new, just by shopping around a lot. GPZ's have been sold used and out of warranty for more than the person paid for them brand new. I know some people only paid in the upper $4k's for their machines new and I saw the ads reselling them for more than that out of warranty now. The "secret" ML pricing scheme in the US is pretty bogus IMO.

Everyone that I know that is using a 7000 paid under 6K for them. New with warranty from three different dealers.  

Steve you are absolutely right about the Equinox and 3030 comparison. Lighter and similar tech with a few new things thrown in for less money, and people jumped right in! But we have to remember that the Nox is less than half the price of the 3030 (well here in Oz anyway) Which means if we are thinking the same thing will happen with the Zed, i.e. bring out an Equinox equivalent version, then it would be priced at about $4600 aud. The fact that the GPX5000 still has a rrp here of $5999 I think that would be highly unlikely, but it sure would sell like hotcakes!! 

I know many customers where weight is everything, and they are still swinging a 4500 or 5000 not for lack of funds, but simply because they can't handle the extra weight of the Zed. 

As for the Nox vs 3030 thing, even though the 3030 is heavier, I still prefer the way it swings. I also prefer the shape of the handle. I do use the Nox, but after a while especially on the beach I really start to miss the Audio options, like Smooth and Pitch Hold. Also, the 3030 rejects rusty caps like nothing else, especially with target trace on. But the new Iron Bias option has definitely improved the Nox in this regard. So the 3030 has stayed in the arsenal for me. So back on topic, for me to ditch the Zed, it would have to be something special. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Unless the new detector has the potential to find more gold than the Zed in its current configuration, I will not buy it. Weight alone is not worth another huge investment for me unless there would be a significant advsntage in the field.

• Like 3