nugget hunter nz

New Minelab Pi Announcement Date 2020

There was no hint in the last Minelab annual report about any new gold detectors this year. The next report will be out in June, so we will presumably hear from this meeting first. People are of course assuming a meeting announcement means something this year, but given the lack of mention in corporate forward guidance you could very well be looking at next year. Given the track record with early announcements I’m not holding my breath on any of this. In fact based on recent history I’d have my eye set more on 2021 than this year as far as any shipping product, if any. Most dealers are still waiting for the Vanquish to hit their shelves, and it was announced way back in April 2019.

• Like 2

Happily I am fortunate enough to have a GPZ and an Equinox 800 (corrected. Thanks Chase) and don't really have to worry about any upcoming detectors. I do think there will have to be substantive changes in the next ML gold detector though - especially if it is more likely to be released in 2021.

This is a fun discussion though, I always learn something in these threads.

On 1/23/2020 at 4:40 PM, flakmagnet said:

Happily I am fortunate enough to have a GPZ and an Equinox 8000

I want an Equinox 8000!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I want an Equinox 8000!

I may be the only person field testing it that's for sure…haha.

(thanks Chase, I corrected it)

• Like 1

Hey Steve,

I have to agree with you.  I think we both have seen this hype and trends in the last 20-25 years.  Typically a gold detectors is released in Australia's Winter season, but not all the time.  If I remember right, the GPZ 7000 was originally released almost during our Summer time.  

The Vanquish was talked about being out before Christmas.  I'm not convinced from what I know that a big gold detector will be released anytime soon.  

Rob

• Like 3

If the GPZ is the last great flagship and it's just ergonomic/weight improvements from here on out, then is nugget shooting effectively dead? I don't see a purpose for ML to file all the patents they did in the last few years if that's the case. 

But, every year I see 5 or 10 long time detectorists retire or pass away, and maybe 1 new guy join and stick with it. So, the customer base must be shrinking yearly here in the US.

Is there is still a healthy market for GPZ's in the US (ignoring Central America)? Are there enough serious detectorists left in 5 years to even keep dealers afloat (without diversifying into primarily coin/beach machines) unless a new flagship with major tech improvements were to come out?

Seems to me the time to release a machine is ASAP if it's going to happen at all. Am I misunderstanding this?

• Like 2

In Australia most new detector are released just before major school holidays or after a massive nugget has been found or at lest displayed on the media.😉

I hear you Jason, I don't see just a repackaged 7000 being a big hit unless they have a price drop comparable with the Equinox. But that just doesn't seem like Minelab style for their big gun gold detector.

I guess dedicated nugget detectors will go the way of the VCR one day, when the nuggets run out they have very little purpose.  

Fortunately for Minelab they've put a lot of effort into making great coin and jewellery machines so they will be fine and I can see a lot of focus going into this area from now on, just look how many of the Equinox they've sold.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

just look how many of the Equinox they've sold.

Hi Simon, Yes.....but it is a banger on gold too, although small gold that has been missed by other detectors. But that suites our gold. Wasn't your biggest & smallest bit of gold found with the Nox 800?

JW 🤠 

• Like 1