Want A Larger Coil For The MDT 8000

On 1/6/2020 at 12:18 PM, Carolina said:

I have had mine for a year now and it is the only detector I use now. My only thoughts are the 8x11 coil works great in the water but I wish he would offer a 12" coil for the damp,wet and wash. It also would help shrink those fields while relic hunting.

Hi Carolina. The existing coil is 11 x 9.  I have both the NZ coil for highly mineralised soils and magnetic black iron sands (which I was the tester for) and also the standard USA coil and have had my unit since Feb 2019.

As for hunting the damp or wet swash area, (that is primarily what I hunt on the beach) the current sized coil gets targets at depth and is a good size. 

Relic hunting? I wouldnt want a bigger coil......rather a smaller one to concentrate on smaller areas under the coil. 

Swing speed is important.....too fast and you will miss small stuff or only catch the edge. There is no need to scuff the surface as some do as it will give false signals. 

Also, of GREAT importance is headphones. They make a good detector better, and the Tarsacci, an excellent detector.....par excellence!!!!!  I am using Sennheiser HD400S which really seperates low, mid and high tones in MIX mode. I learnt long ago quality headphones increase finds over what is usually "good" headphones supplied with detector.

Scuffing the sand with the coil may cause false signals in disc or mixed mode .... but in AM its more very distinguished pops off surface iron..... targets are easily IDed.   I prefer this method to the point of wearing out a coil cover or two over attempting to keep my coil at a certain height.   Most who do that tend to raise their coil on both ends of their swing.....that too can cause falsing and missed targets.   Every one hunts a differently........ 2 inches above the sand or even a 1/2 to me mean something i could miss and i often slow hunt for tiny missed gold.....you have to get the coil down to do that.   Ive had the machine since Feb as well.  

Carloina ..... you know youd be using that 12" coil in the water too lol.   Whats an inch right?   Do away with a couple of those cross overs might reduce the drag to be about the same as the standard coil.  

I dont know if it is or not.   Its been discussed a good bit.  But im also told for a limited number its going to be pricy.  What are you willing to pay?   Sales are increasing it seems with more talk about it as a relic machine and one that handles difficult dirt.   I dont think we will see this coil for some time.   IF another machine is in the works..... we may not see it for this one at all.   Thats just me thinking out loud.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, Carolina said:

I too have not heard of a NZ coil. I’m surprised Dew had no mention of this also. I too have had great service from Dimitar in regards to a couple minor issues inflicted by myself. I tightened the battery cap to tight and stripped the threads on the cap. I received a replacement almost instantly. I have 6 months left on my warranty but if the past year is any indication of the detectors build quality, it will not matter if it runs out. Seems to be built very well. On the issue of coils, I just feel my hands are tied when hunting with my friends using the ever so popular Equinox and the CTX, when in the wash and damp sand. In the water the stock coil is fine. It just does not seem right to pay $1500.00 + for a detector that has no choice of optional coils. On this subject I have worn my welcome out with Dimitar as now he will not answer my text, haha. I am relentless on this topic. Thanks for the link phrunt as it is very insightful. It appears to be on the up and up to me. 

Hi all im in nz. I think there are 3 of us here that run the tarsacci. I was told by dimitar that mine is running the nz coil. I too seem to have worn out my welcome with him too. I dont think he has any real knowledge of the black iron sand here in nz. Its harsh. Some places you need to swing 3 inches plus above the sand. I have hundreds of hrs now on our black sand and while it does find stuff i feel there is no real depth to it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated 

Matt 

1 hour ago, Matt hastings said:

Hi all im in nz. I think there are 3 of us here that run the tarsacci. I was told by dimitar that mine is running the nz coil. I too seem to have worn out my welcome with him too. I dont think he has any real knowledge of the black iron sand here in nz. Its harsh. Some places you need to swing 3 inches plus above the sand. I have hundreds of hrs now on our black sand and while it does find stuff i feel there is no real depth to it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated 

Matt 

Hi Matt. We talked on messenger. Steve is very knowledgeable. Maybe shoot him a PM. Also Tom Dankowski’s forum has a very long read that may help. 

• Like 1

A recent conversation with Demitar he is working on a 12” round coil.   I don’t know if that will suit you Thomas as a larger coil.    I would like to see another inch or two.   Here that would be crazy deep for some gold silver n the salt water.  This virus has really put a damper on his ability to work on it since he can’t get to the beach.  I’ve been begging him to put the ears in the middle.... better balance, coil won’t be nose heavy when you keep adjusting it, and less likely to break them.  He does good engineering but he won’t put one out until he’s happy with it.   I for one hopes it’s sooner than later

21 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

A recent conversation with Demitar he is working on a 12” round coil.   I don’t know if that will suit you Thomas as a larger coil.    I would like to see another inch or two.   Here that would be crazy deep for some gold silver n the salt water.  This virus has really put a damper on his ability to work on it since he can’t get to the beach.  I’ve been begging him to put the ears in the middle.... better balance, coil won’t be nose heavy when you keep adjusting it, and less likely to break them.  He does good engineering but he won’t put one out until he’s happy with it.   I for one hopes it’s sooner than later

Yes I have talked with him also. One thing he is fairly free with his time to whom ever wishes to talk with him. He explained the lock down prevented him from testing. I offered to test here on the east coast but he was quick to say he does all his own testing. My ULTIMATE 13 is one hot coil when I run it on any of my Excals and it is thin and light. That would be a perfect size for me. I think the issue is the mold for the coil maybe. I’m not sure. I guess like the AQ we will wait and see. One thing that left a bad taste in my mouth, was the broken coil ear. It should have been a warranty issue not glue it back together yourself. I have one friend who has broken four coils and two arm cuffs on his NOX and Minelab gave him a one week turnaround with new parts no questions asked. If you run with the big dogs, you should be prepared to play like the big dogs. That is the only coil failure I am aware of and manufacture imperfections do occur.

There maybe some misunderstanding on that coil ear damage.  I believe they were talking about a temporary fix until he could ship him another coil.   I too have broken an ear...... which he replaced the same week.... the time lag to get it to me here in Fl.    Ive broken 2 Nox coil ears as well...... that was within the first year...... it took a week to get both of those also.   Hunting in the water id say really increases the damage to equipment.   With the Xcal ......in that first year warranty i had two coils split and one wire crack, knobs break, and a leak..... and i was going thru a coil cover every 5 mos.   MLs response....... "you hunt to much".   At the time i was hunting 7 days a week 7 hours or more a day with a hunting buddy.   Yes he broke stuff too.......like his Stealth scoop...... twice and a couple of handles lol.   Now how well will this new material work for salt water hunting and heat..... i just dont know.   Theres a lot of torque, then i know plastic has a tendency of becoming brittle with a lot of continued use in the water and heat.   BUT.... this aint plastic.....its pretty durable material.

I too used an ultimate 13 on a Sov.   Great coils on the dry sand.   In the water thou i found having to reduce the sensitivity didnt show much difference between it and the standard coil.   More coverage..... but slow going and PPing was a bit of a bear.  You just couldnt get the coil in the hole either.   His current standard coil can get in the hole easily.  Id sure like to get some extra depth from a 12" coil.   I can say one thing....... extra depth means extra DEEP digging.  YOu have to get that coil partially in the hole to get a good read on what the target is.  Otherwise i think swinging the coil over the hole after your first dig gives really poor TID.

Hahahahaha you hunt to much😂. 7 days a week 7 hours a day IS to much 😂 That would kill me Max and Joe haha. We’re more like 4 or 5 hrs tops followed by 2 hrs in the recliner. I never well nearly never hunt dry sand. To rough on my ankles. On the oceanfront it is very difficult to hunt past the drop off unless you are a bear of a man so there, I’m knee deep in the wash and the thirteen works well for me there up to the top of the slope. Here, mid beach and the drop are where most gold lays. Chains seem to get blown up a bit higher.  In the bay now that is a different story and chest deep is achievable there. I used to use the Excal. with 10” coil. Then I tried the CTX but not happy. Then the NOX and it was OK but not great. Now I use the MDT mostly or the Excal.  A 12” coil in the water for the MDT would work fine for me I think. If I’m one of the few who gets a shot at the AQ, well maybe all that will change. I am glad you corrected me on the coil. Maybe I misunderstood. It is good to know. Dimitar has always been fair with me as he is with most I think. I should be receiving a package today as a matter of fact. As a backup plan, on the coil, my dentist says he will X-ray for me for any show stopping chips as well as some other thoughts. I have a friend who will wind me a coil should need be and go from there. It’s time for this pandemic to go away.

Max only had the machine for his video so no he really has no idea what it can do. He is quite satisfied with his 600 I think. He has no urge to dig deep holes at this point in his life. Yes I will be taking the MDT north shortly for a day of testing and videos. Should be interesting. If Dimitar does not hurry up he may loose out to another machine shortly I think. Be glad when restrictions allow him to test and start production.