Coil Comparison On Qed X Coil Vs Rest

Dave63

Been a lot of chat about x coil for ML. I would like to see or read a good comparison on the X coil vs the rest on a QED. I am going on a trip to Western Australia in June, so I need a larger mid range coil. I have received advice that the 14" Coiltek is the coil  of choice. All the talk is about x coil, but there hasn't been any real comparison posted. I was thinking 15"x10" x coil could be a contender, but lack of comparison or direct info makes it hard to make a choice.

Correct me if I am wrong

8" Sadie = Small targets at shallow depth Low ground coverage

11" Detech Ultra = Small targets a little more depth bit better ground coverage

14" Coiltek = More depth start to loose smaller targets better ground coverage

15" x 10" = ??

If someone sends me an x-coil I would gladly test it on the QED  😁   I promise I'll send it back!

If you were to go with the 15" X 10" x-coil you could possibly forego the 14" Coiltek and replace it with a 20" spoked Nugget Finder?  Being an older style bundle wound coil it should handle the ground better whilst also giving you a big foot print for patch finding, good depth and it runs nicely on a QED.  It is also surprisingly light and well weighted on the QED for its size.   

Between your 11" Detech and a 15" x 10" x-coil I'm not sure that the Coiltek would be filling much of a gap?  

Just my thoughts  😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, davsgold said:

If I were to loan you a 15x10 spiral x-coil to test

Dave, that is a cracking offer and thanks.  However, the ‘what would I compare it to’ is the issue.  

A Sadie, a Detech 11” Ultra Sensing and a NF 20” Advantage are my 3 coils and really they cover  everything I need at present.  And I don’t even know anyone locally with comparable coils to the x-coil 15x10. 

It would be comparing apples with oranges so no real point unfortunately. 

Getting it back to you wouldn’t be an issue.  I will make some enquires and if things change I’ll let you know   👍

I too would like to see more comparisons of the x coil vs others on the QED. I have an 8 in. commander and a 14 in. Coiltech elite. The elite is as large as is practical on the grounds I prospect in the Virginia mountains and is a very deep coil in the mineralized red clay I relic hunt in. I think an 11 in. X coil would round out options and be about right as an all around coil here in the US. The problem is finding a source for the coil at a reasonable price with the high cost of shipping from OZ.  Plus I would Like to know for sure it would top the 11 in. Coiltech elite before spending the extra money the x coil would cost.

• Like 1

G'Day All

I see how a comparison Is going to be difficult. I suppose there are enough other comparison to show  us the capability of coiltek etc. With all the talk I have no doubt that x coils out perform equivalent coils. The problem for me and I suppose others is where do these coils fit into or current arsenal. The description on the QED website is quite generic.  $650 AUD is a choice that has to be as correct as possible. Couple of these coils and we are getting up into the realms of maybe I should have bought a second hand ML. (NArrhhh Aussie all the Way QED💪 QED💪 QED)

Even a comparison of x coils against themselves; from smallest to largest. Using a variety of small to large targets at different depth. To see where one coils starts and finishes and the next picks up/Overlap. We could all then see which coil fits into our current coils to fill a specific gap or capability.

or

Sorry to hear about your back phrunt. You seem to have to largest collection of x coils other than davgold

Northeast's air test of the 5c, 20c ,50c seems  to be quite consistent across QED and coils. Coins could be replaced with different size gold or do both.  Even this test of x coils smallest to largest at QED default or optimum settings (or both) for each coil could show some sort of start and finish\Overlap\Maximum depth distance. Different gold sizes will show what each coil can and cannot see. This test means no hole digging, done on a table, simple to setup and film.

Northeast test is just an air test on a table with a ruler under the coil. Select coil factory reset QED and wave target in front of coil to work out max distance of a good dig  signal and distance of maybe dig. You just end up with a table for the coil of distances for each target  in cm. Once done at factory default you could do the same for what you class as optimum settings for that coil.

18 minutes ago, phrunt said:

will do something for you once my back gets better and video it, I've stuffed it a lot worse than I thought, it just started out as mild back pain from digging with my sluice, then a few days later I can hardly walk without massive pain and it's darn near impossible to sleep.  Weird.  Heat seems to work on it for some relief so it seems like a muscle problem, maybe I don't have enough of them to be digging for hours on end 🙂

Take care of that back, Simon.  Those injuries can be tricky to pinpoint the cause so let your body's response be your guide to keep from re-injuring it.  I have a regular physical therapist in my phone directory due to my chronic lower back issues - the key is doing exercises to build up your core muscles to improve stability and symmetry in load distribution.  Make sure you make use of that harness included with your new Zed.  It is well designed and will save your back.  I use it for all extended detecting sessions with the GPX now and hang my recovery kit (finds pouch, pinpointer, digger) off it when relic hunting in the field.  Get well soon so you can play with your new toy.

• Like 1

Here is a bloke doing the air test on the Equinox. This is the test as explained

Th test can be conducted on each x coil small the large

On 1/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, phrunt said:

X-coils have shipping included in their price.  The price you see on the X-coils website is the price you'll pay to have it delivered.  The GPX/QED coils are $650 AUD with worldwide shipping included, there is no variance in price between sizes.

Simon take care with the back problem. $650.00 AUD is about $450.00 US which is  half the price of an Equinox. If the performance is there it would be worth it, but hard to make that decision without some data to indicate it will top the Coilteck  elite. The elite is the best performing coil I have tried in my very limited experience with the QED. You are correct about the difficulty in evaluating individual coils due to various conditions, especially across continents. That’s what makes this interesting.