groundscanner

Suggestions For Aftermarket Wireless Aptx Headphones

Does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket aptX low latency headphones for the 800?  I have hearing problems and I am not happy with the sound quality of the Minelab headphones.  They have a mushy sound and I prefer a crisper sound.  I have Killer B's that sound much better but I prefer not to deal with a wired connection

Thanks!

You could use the WM-08 wireless module and your Killer Bee's... that's pretty much why it comes with the 800. It is also a lower latency solution than Aptx.

Headphones Waterproof / Resistant Aptx-ll ?

66 Audio-bts Pro Bluetooth Headphones Aptx Ll

Ausdom Ah3 Wireless Headphones

Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitters

After Market Bluetooth Headphones Thread

Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Compatibility

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, groundscanner said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket aptX low latency headphones for the 800?  I have hearing problems and I am not happy with the sound quality of the Minelab headphones.  They have a mushy sound and I prefer a crisper sound.  I have Killer B's that sound much better but I prefer not to deal with a wired connection

Thanks!

Simply plug the Killer B's into the WM08 module using a simple mini-plug adapter and you have untethered Killer B's.

If you still want to go the BT APTX LL route the following phones have gotten good reviews from forum members:

https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Bluetooth-Headphones-Lightweight-Transmitter/dp/B075VLWPXF/ref=sr_1_15?crid=172K8DW08OMSX&keywords=aptx+ll+headphones&qid=1579550842&sprefix=Aptx+LL%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-15

https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-AUKEY-Bluetooth-Water-Resistance-Commuting/dp/B07GBVCZZX/ref=sr_1_13?crid=172K8DW08OMSX&keywords=aptx+ll+headphones&qid=1579550842&sprefix=Aptx+LL%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-13

https://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Upgraded-Bluetooth-Headphones-Isolating/dp/B01GGKNYOQ/ref=sr_1_20?crid=172K8DW08OMSX&keywords=aptx+ll+headphones&qid=1579550842&sprefix=Aptx+LL%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEHIMLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_2?ie=UTF8&adId=A097530334F2NR9NLAKSA&url=%2FAvantree-Bluetooth-Headphones-Computer-Watching%2Fdp%2FB07VKYV9Z2%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2_sspa%3Fcrid%3D172K8DW08OMSX%26keywords%3Daptx%2Bll%2Bheadphones%26qid%3D1579551168%26sprefix%3DAptx%2BLL%2Caps%2C133%26sr%3D8-2-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1579551168&id=2866703208093154&widgetName=sp_atf

Soundpeats made a compatible set of earbuds that were APTX LL but they seem to discontinued.

Note that the Trond and the Miccus Headphones are "clones" of the ML phones.  I use the Miccus phones and they have audio superior to their ML clones which I too have found to be muddy/muffled in comparison.  Strange but true.

Beside the Miccus and Paww phones, I have not verified the others but they SHOULD work based on the specs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the helpful info.!

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You could use the WM-08 wireless module and your Killer Bee's... that's pretty much why it comes with the 800. It is also a lower latency solution than Aptx.

Headphones Waterproof / Resistant Aptx-ll ?

66 Audio-bts Pro Bluetooth Headphones Aptx Ll

Ausdom Ah3 Wireless Headphones

Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitters

After Market Bluetooth Headphones Thread

Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Compatibility

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Simply plug the Killer B's into the WM08 module using a simple mini-plug adapter and you have untethered Killer B's.

If you still want to go the BT APTX LL route the following phones have gotten good reviews from forum members:

Soundpeats made a compatible set of earbuds that were APTX LL but they seem to discontinued.

Note that the Trond and the Miccus Headphones are "clones" of the ML phones.  I use the Miccus phones and they have audio superior to their ML clones which I too have found to be muddy/muffled in comparison.  Strange but true.

Beside the Miccus and Paww phones, I have not verified the others but they SHOULD work based on the specs.

Thanks!

The MICCUS third link above has a warning for metal detectorists: 

• IMPORTANT NOTE FOR METAL DETECTOR USE: The current SR-71 Bluetooth 5.0 release DOES NOT work with metal detecting equipment. The reviews are citing earlier 4.2 versions of the headphones.

Too bad, first I have seen touting "noise canceling'

9 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

The MICCUS third link above has a warning for metal detectorists: 

• IMPORTANT NOTE FOR METAL DETECTOR USE: The current SR-71 Bluetooth 5.0 release DOES NOT work with metal detecting equipment. The reviews are citing earlier 4.2 versions of the headphones.

Too bad, first I have seen touting "noise canceling'

Read this thread, that warning has pretty much been debunked by forum users who have successfully paired the latest versions of these headphones with the Equinox.  The prevailing theory is that people were not properly performing the paring procedure then reporting the issue to Miccus as a reason for a return.  Miccus dutifully posted the warning.

BTW - read the features again, they are not "noise cancelling"  but "noise isolating" or "noise blocking".  In other words passive over the ear noise blocking not active noise cancelling.

If you are interested in active noise cancelling headphones that are compatible with the Equinox (I have a pair and they work), then check these out:

https://www.amazon.com/Paww-WaveSound-Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancelling/dp/B01IEHIMLY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=paww+noise+cancelling+aptx+headphones&qid=1581736049&sr=8-4

If you are actually interested in these I have an extra backup pair New in Box.  PM me, if interested.

• Like 1

I agree with Chase, on the Miccus phones.  Even though they are a BT80, they definitely sound different from the Minelab BT80s (ML80). The Minelab version IS a muddy-sounding, not-clear sound -- I totally agree with you and Chase.  The Miccus phones are much more clear and crisp, especially on the high tones.

I shot a video, but haven't edited and uploaded it yet, showing proper pairing technique -- AND doing so with a set of Miccus SR-71 Bluetooth version 5.0 headphones.  They WILL pair with an Equinox (mine is an 800 running the newest, 2.0 version of firmware).

Don't worry about the Miccus phones not pairing; if the WM-08 option with your Killer B's is too "wired" for you, try the Miccus.  

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By kac
      Before the sun broke out in full force today I did a quick run about  1 1/2 hours to test out the Nokta waterproof headphones on my Multi Kruzer. Ran it at 19khz looking for small jewelry, found 2 1/2 earings, cruddier one might be gold brighter one is plated. This pond is brutal with iron as you can see the black chia pet looking thing on the side. It is a hard drive magnet I stick in my scoop to catch nails and bobby pins. You can see some of the rocks that also stick to it. My GB was low to mid 90's so ended up using Gen Mode in the quieter areas and 3 tone for the most part.
      Headphones are little better on audio than my Garrett waterproof ones, audio sounds similar, maybe bit less tinny but you do need to kick up the volume. I usually run the machine on 3 but use 10 on these. Vibrate mode proved to be useless because of all the iron in the ground there as it just constantly runs. Bottom line if you got a Kruzer or Amphibio, well worth the investment if you plan on splashing around.

• By Steve Herschbach
      The headphone cable on the AQ underwater headphones is over 6 feet long. But it is coiled up so tightly it pulls on and stresses the cable near to where it connects to the detector.
      Now certainly a good preventative measure is to use a tie wrap to attach the cable to the rod under the elbow as a strain relief. I'm a little lazier though and want my headphones to not be pulling that hard in the first place. The cable should hang with a bit of a slack in it before it gets to the detector, instead of pulling sharply upward.
      So this is an oldtimers trick to relax the cable on new headphones. Just tie them up and let them hang. You usually do not have to worry about them getting too long. In fact, you may have to do it again later as the try to go back to the original coiled configuration. But I get mine to where I want them, and worry a lot less about stressing the connector down the road.

• By Steve Herschbach
      I will be using my Impulse with the battery end well out of the water while shallow wading or on the beach, etc. I wanted to get away from wired phones and save the waterproof phones for when I actually need to submerge the machine. No sense putting any more wear and tear on the cable than I need to.
      So I found a source of relatively inexpensive M8 pigtails and cables, AutomationDirect. Never ordered from them before, but it was easy and cables arrived in two days. I got two pigtails for the headphone 5-pin connector, one straight, and one 90 degree. And I ordered a couple longer 4-pin cables for the power connection, to work with a high capacity power pack I have on order. More on that later when it arrives.
      I decided to use the 90 degree cable to make an adapter for my new TaoTronics transmitter/receiver box so I can use my Minelab phones, which I like, with all my detectors. There is also a less expensive transmitter only version.
      M8 5 pin 90 degree pigtail

I dug through my pile of adapters and found a spare mono 1/8" extension cable and cut it off, saving the female end for this project. The TaoTronics comes with a RCA to 1/8” female cable that would also probably work for this. I hooked up the 90 degree cable and powered up the Impulse. I randomly hooked up the two wires from the 1/8" socket to the five while having some stereo earbuds plugged in, and found that the brown and gray wires gave me audio in both ears. According to the chart below brown is #1 and gray is #5. I wanted to make very sure there was audio in both ears using the mono socket but with stereo phones plugged in, so good to go there.
      I cut the cable down short, spliced and covered with shrink tube, and wrapped a little electrical tape on to add some beef. Not pretty but it will work - a typical Herschbach job. I bent the cable under the armrest, and added a stick on square of Velcro to back of the TaoTronics transmitter and the leg stand. I'll add more squares to my other detectors so I can move this transmitter around to whatever I am using. A little tie wrap secures things.
      Fired it up, paired easily with my Equinox 800 headphones, better audio than the Fisher phones, and frankly the Equinox phones are not the best in that regard. Cheap, super easy... I'm quite pleased with this. I can of course use 1/8" type wired phones or ear buds if I want. I'll make another adapter with the straight connector but go to 1/4" with it, so I can use my Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones without an extra adapter. I'll probably make that cable a little longer than this one, which I wanted as short as possible.
      If you got the TaoTronics transmitter only box for $20 and this cable for $8.50... well, this is pretty cheap and easy, and will work with a huge number of headphone options.
      Ironically my new Tarsacci MDT 8000 comes with am M8 to 1/8" adapter with one little problem. Fisher uses a 4-pin connector for the power/headphone combo cable, but then for some reason they use a 5-pin M8 for the headphone only connector. The MDT 8000 headphone adapter is of course 4-pin. I swear they must all have secret meetings to make sure nothing from one detector ever works with another. 
      Click or double click photo for high res version.

AutomationDirect M8 Cable Specs pdf

• By Argyris
      Hey guys,
      I've been using my Nox 800 underwater (salt water) for some days now (7 underwater hunts total, about 2 hours each), and thought I could share some first results, plus give a nice and cheap alternative to the minelab yellow headphones for underwater use if anyone interested.
      My first ever snorkel-dive with Nox in my usual pebble beach was by using just the speaker (no headphones) with my head submerged, and as expected, I soon realized that this wasn't enough...even with my head underwater was very difficult to hear through the speaker due to extremely low volume even in calm sea...(however, as already posted in my first topic in the forum, I was still able to get my first whote gold ring with Nox using just the speaker 🙂). Anyway, in my second hunt I bought the Minelab's yellows, but to my experience with them, again I wasn't able to hear the signals good enough underwater due to their low vol especially after some minutes underwater when the soft earpads and the space between was geting full of water. Furthermore, the yellows are huge headphones and I need to be more descret in my beaches this time of year. In my last hunts however, I tried something different and wanted to share my experience...I bought a pair of 100% waterproof and submersible swimming in-ear headphones especially designed for swimming and watersports that had some quite good reviews from athletes around... the product is the "H2O Surge+ waterpoof headphones" (company is "H2O") and bought them for $40 through Amazon...(arrived from amazon UK). Well guys, in my last underwater hunts with them, my experience is tremendously good....their sound quality underwater and their volume is honestly out of this world, and I'm not kidding...especially when comparing to Minelab's yellows. Volume is high enough to hear even the tinniest faint signal and you feel the tone inside your ear like hell... their earplugs completelly seal the external sounds also, and their sound-tones & bass quality is very immpresive for such a small pair of headphones. These small earbuds come with a 3.6ft straight cord so at least for me were comfortable enough while snorkelling and still able to leave the Nox in the bottom (chest depth max) while relaxing in the surface with my mask waiting for the "recovery fog" to leave. Their speakers are 100% waterpoof (IPX8 rating) and can be submerged to 3.5m depth no prob. The company states that maybe sometimes they need equalization (blowing air inside them) but sinnce now I didn't need it. However the cord is thin so you mast be carefull not to stretch it, and if you feel to you can make an easy mod to seal the hole-plug of the Nox where they are inserted (I made a simple yet effective mod by drilling a small hall to the original plastic protective threaded plug of the nox, and used 2 perfect fit o-rings inside to seal the 3.5mm jack connection while screwing the plastic plug...you already know that the nox is waterproof in that point also, but better safe than sorry and made the extra mile to seal it better). As already stated, the H2O earbuds are designed for athletes (especially designed for swimming and watersports) and come 5 sets of earplugs to fit perfectly in every ear...in my ears they fit so nice and they completely seal external sounds and water from my ear canal. Don't wanna say much more about them, and waiting to see how they handle overtime, but as for now I'm totally impressed with them and their volume and sound quality, and my finds went immediatelly up.
      Furthermore, In fear of flooding the Nox in the future as many other members experienced, and in order to make it more usable underwater while snorkelling, I made some extra mods. I totally water-sealed the machine by: a) using silicon paste inside the battery compartment inside the handle (removable if needed but should be a pain to remove)...b) used marine epoxy paste to seal the control box and screen perimeter where the plastic parts join together, and also sealed the point that the control pad meets the handle (critical point there).... c) completelly sealed and eliminated the external speaker (will never use it anyway)...d) made a custom shaft by modifying the original lower shaft to shorten it and also drilled a small drain hole near the bottom...I know I may void the warranty with my mods, but took the risk and now I'm using the machine underwater with piece of mind.
      Results: As already said, I have used my Nox underwater for 7 hunts till now...about 2 hours each. Attached some photos of the finds. In these +/- 14 hours I have:
      - 4 gold rings: All are solid gold (14k & 9k the smallest one), except the large and heavy one wich is bi-metal silver with 14k gold piece on top. (ps. the top white 14k gold ring with small diamonds is the one I posted some days ago)
      - 1 crusifix (silver with gold Christ) 
      - Almost €22 in change
      - 82(!) old clad coins (all are pre-euro drachmas..no worth unfortunatelly, but yeap 82 of them in these 14 hours)
      - Good amount of lead sinkers (including some huge ones)
      - 2 spoons, 3 keys, a jank pin jewel piece, a junk watch, and a live HXP-95 military cartridge (strange to find it underwater though..!)
      - Aluminum junk: MINIMUM!..we're talking almost no junk comparing to dry hunt!!! I think I gonna love this underwater thing!!!!! 😄

Ps. My Nox settings if someone's interested are: Beach 2, Recovery @5, Iron Bias F2@0 , 2 tones only (pitch 1 for iron / pitch 23 for non-fe), notch only -9 to -7 to avoid ground/ceramic rocks underwater (all other is open and able to hear iron from -6 to 0 in low vol pitch 1), tone break @0, sensitivity @17, GB manual by pumping sideways (have uneven bottom), no threshold.

That's all 🙂
      Happy hunting everyone!
      Argyris

• By Ash
      Is this something anyone has information on how to do.
      I suspect i require a bluetooth Module ,low latency.
      If possible and so any prefereed Supplier here in OZ.
      Thanks
      Ash
    • By GB_Amateur
      Thread split from here
      You mention the Garrett headphones -- specifically the ClearSound model mating well with the MDT in terms of good audio.  Those are on-ear type and a lot of detectorists prefer over-ear.  Have you tried their MS-2 model, which is only $10 more?  I wonder if they use the same speakers or if Garrett just buys various 3rd party headphones and puts their logo on them, in which case probably not.
      I have some MS-2's and for the price ($30-$35 including shipping in USA) they are quite good, IMO.  I still prefer Sunray Pro Golds (standard version and Minelab compatible version) because for one thing they fit tighter and thus block out ambient noise better.  On the downside they cost about $100 more.