Round Coils Versus Elliptical Coils

pikens

One coil being better than another really does not mean anything out of context. What makes a coil better depends on the use more than any particular design. If you compare a 10” round coil to a 6” x 10” coil the round coil will get more depth under most circumstances because it has more actual area of coil. The elliptical is simply a smaller coil, and so when comparing an elliptical to a round coil you are better off thinking in terms of the narrow dimension, which puts this difference in your mind. I’ve not the time to calculate it, but an 8” x 14” elliptical probably comes closer to the 10” round for area and therefore depth. The 14" elliptical will cover more ground in side to side sweeps than the 10" round and if it does indeed get the same depth may be a better way to go.

Back to 10” round versus 6” x 10” elliptical. In theory the round coil is larger and therefore goes deeper in moderate soil on a coin size target. However, in more mineralized ground on a smaller target a smaller coil may actually get more depth, so it’s not an across the board sort of thing. The depth advantage in that situation may go to the 6" x 10" elliptical.

Finally a 6” x 10” elliptical can fit between two rocks or bushes that are 8” apart and the 10” round coil cannot. You can’t find targets if you can’t get the coil over them. Yet in side to side sweeps you give up but little ground coverage with the elliptical.

So are round coils better than elliptical? An engineer might make a case from a theoretical design standpoint but in real life it just depends on the situation.

Coil Basics by Carl Moreland

About Search Coils by Dave Johnson

Search Coil Field Shape by Dave Johnson

Metal Detector Search Coil Basics Video

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

What makes a coil better depends on the use more than any particular design.

That was a great job in your description of the 2 types of coils Steve.

You are so correct on what you stated and you give a simple way to explain coils to a novice.

When I was designing coils for parking equipment and for street lights I had a much easier job doing that than to design them for detectors.

Whites used a very simple coil for years, before the digital age, and they were easy to make.

Any way thanks for the explanation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This coil...vista X is practically a 9 "coil ..... but a length of 11"
   ... I consider them a progressive design and a very good idea ... according to me the shape of this straight side center part of this coil will provide a good deep detection window, while the tapered front and side tents will ensure good and better 2D separation over a similarly large circular , oval, or SEF..type coil ...

.... if this 9 "x11" X Coil.. design is deeply the same with the 11 "DD Pitbul coil, ... it's hard to say ... but the impact on coin size things can be comparable ..

This spool vista X is practically a 9 "coil ..... but a length of 11"
   ... I consider them a progressive design and a very good idea ... according to me the shape of this straight side center part of this coil will provide a good deep detection window, while the tapered front and side tents will ensure good and better 2D separation over a similarly large circular , oval, or SEF..type coil ...

For an absolutely accurate comparison I could do .... if such an "X" coil was also available for Vista Gold gain 30khz. model ..

What is the optimal size and design of DD coil is the best ...? See for yourself ...
I'll write a little bit more about this in the topic "" Why is Airtest important? "
This article will be devoted to Airtests on a variety of large and conductive objects -to a properly set detector and coil for a given type of terrain .... as well as its real reach ... in this terrain...

maj 9 iphone 5S 2019 022_DxO.jpg