Question About Tailings Piles

Jesse

I think Steve had it spot on. Start with VLF/iron meter and then move to PI/ZVT. I always dig everything, that's my point. If you start with the Zed right upfront you will get frustrated. I am in the El Pasos often. Many of these piles don't even have one clean spot where I can rest the Zed on the ground without my ears blowing out.

• Like 3

Sorry I'm abit late to throw my 2 cents in I've hunted old tailings simalar to your pictures here in nz. Like mentioned big stones means you loose the depth of the stones but big nuggets can end up there so ounce plus nuggets will sing at good depth the smaller piles you can rake down if you want. As for trash these can be really trashy. When I've hunted them I went over the area with gpx and placed we builders flags at every target then when I was done I went over each one with my monster 1000 dug the good targets left the bad and anything I was unsure off I took top layer off to get Beter signal. This alowes you to search with the more powerful pi but saves you digging 50 holes for nothing.. Just an idea but flags can be your friend even in creeks they work a charm 

• Like 6

I like that! Just the other way around then (pi then vlf). Need to buy little marker flags.

Concerning these flags, could you guys be more specific?  Metal poles or plastic, etc.  It's not that hard to post a link to a retail site.  A lot of us have done it many times, and it sure helps the readers.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Concerning these flags, could you guys be more specific? 

I use these flags when I am hunting a good area.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Presco-100-Pack-18-in-Orange-PVC-Marking-Flag/50066715

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Concerning these flags, could you guys be more specific?  Metal poles or plastic, etc.  It's not that hard to post a link to a retail site.  A lot of us have done it many times, and it sure helps the readers.  Thanks.

Sorry I'm here in New Zealand so got mine there mitre 10 think you can get them on ebay if you search builders flags 

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Here is a short video I shot this weekend working around some old placers that contained drywasher screen piles and handstacking. There was potholes and digs all along the benches and places right in the creek bottom.  If you jump to about 2 minutes 10seconds, you will see the drywasher tailing pile, coarse and finer piles.  I found one nice 4+ grammer about 4 inches down using the Minelab GPZ 7000.  

The nuggets in the beginning of the video are from the nearby placer area.  Biggest being 29.6 Grams, nearly 1 solid troy ounce. 

• Like 7