Great video, thanks! I hope she got to keep it..... I bet she's hooked after that.

• Like 1

Just a one off Simon, she just wanted to see how it was done, and our planets rarely align. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to just give her the $1600 nugget as it was the only one we got.

• Like 2

Very nice find, I hope you bought her dinner for her help.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just looked at this thread again and I was 'struck' by the title.  Nice 1 Ounce Nugget ...

Is it possible to have a 1 ounce nugget that is not nice?  haha

It's like saying Ugly 1 ounce nugget ... is there such a thing?  (I've seen threads that try to convince me that some gold is ugly but I keep looking at it as a beauty.)

Mitchel

• Haha 1

Gidday Mitchel,

I have had a few ugly one ounce + nuggets over the years ! All were reef gold nuggets, and were as ugly as a hat full of arseholes !   🤣

They ended up in the dolly pot and got turned into bush bars.

Rick

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By phrunt
      JW and I went for a gold hunt yesterday.  We've both done this area quite a bit, especially JW.  I always disliked the spot, it was my nemesis for so long and I rarely found a nugget there, then all the sudden my luck turned, now I do alright there.    We both had our 15x10" X-coils on, JW's been using his all the time lately so I thought I'd give mine a run.
      Yesterday seemed like I was doomed however to my first skunk in a long time, I don't even remember my last skunk now.  It was about 9.30am I would guess and both went our separate ways.   I headed off to the river to try detect the river banks.  The river was a bit flooded, lots of snow lately which in spring turns to melt on the lower mountain areas quite quickly.  Makes the water quite dirty looking.  JW went off to another area away from the river.

I spent a bit of time down at the river trying my luck, unfortunately someone had been before me, there was dig holes around everywhere

I asked JW if he'd been to the river and he said no, so someone else is on the prowl!   I left the river after some time of walking around detecting and seeing someones digs and went back to the original place away from the river where JW was detecting.  I didn't find a target at all at the river so it was a waste of an hour or two, I don't know if there is even gold near the river, I've never found any nuggets near the river, you can find some gold with your gold pan so I assume there is 🙂
      Part of my dislike for this other spot where JW was detecting is it has power lines right through it and it made me really struggle with my GPX so I found it pointless to use there, it has old workings that have iron stones that are buried too, and they sound so good until you dig down and find them, it's also riddled with pellets!  between the iron stones, pellets and the power lines it was a nightmare for me so I tended to use a VLF there more than anything else.  I often talk about power lines and the agony they cause me, a lot of our gold areas are covered in power lines.  I find the GPZ is pretty good under them, I don't run my sensitivity at 20 with the power lines around as it can get a bit messy but I find running at 14 is quite good.
      I just left the sensitivity on 14 all day, my other settings were all defaults and my usual high yield, normal.
      There is bedrock all over this area, for many miles exposed bedrock everywhere.

The soil and grassed areas are usually quite shallow down to the rock.  Loaded with pellets however as there is a rabbit plague in the area.
      6 hours of digging pellets I was starting to give up, then i had another pellet signal, away from the obvious bedrock and near a rabbit hole in soft loamy soils.  I'd repeated this process countless times, a few scrapes hoping the target doesn't move, and this time, it didn't, more scrapes, still there and getting better, more.... more and it just kept getting deeper and louder...  I'm bad at pinpointing with bigger coils so I have to make my hole coil size.   I got to the point the GPZ was screaming and was hoping it wasn't some deep junk but I was down to more gravelly soils.

I now used my Mini Gold Monster to pinpoint it in the hole and recover it.

It was found on the left hand side of the hole, and it was almost scoop deep.

My first 15x10" nugget, and what a nugget it is (for NZ anyway)

and it was right near the power lines, I'd never get that with my VLF, the depth just not there.  I'd obviously tried the GM when I was thinking it was a pellet before digging and it had no signal at all on it.
      Now I had a renewed bunch of energy so I hit the nearby bedrock

Not even 20 minutes later I had another signal that was very promising, survived all scrapes.

And it was gold, I got it out of the crack I'm pointing too.

A nice little bit.
      About 20 minutes later the sun was going down and I got a call from JW and we decided we'd head home.  I told him I got a couple of little bits, he was surprised when he opened my bottle for a peep! 🙂 He managed to win the day for the tally though with 4 nuggets, 3 of which were absolutely tiny.
      And my junk for the day.

Well the junk I didn't lose out of my pocket.  A fun day! And not a skunk after all, lucky I didn't give up.
      Now the weigh in.

1.692 grams!

and the little guy

0.141 of a gram.
    • By nvchris
      Research, time, and lots of boot miles. 
      Get away from the known areas and roads.

• By phrunt
      JW and I went on a bit of an adventure yesterday, it was to an old mining area where a lot of sluicing was done in the 1800's.  The old timers did one hell of a job and little gold is left to be found but you go to this place for the adventure.  It's along one of the worlds most dangerous roads that was built during the gold rush, the road was made by the miners in the late 1800's.  It's one way and very narrow, even the bridges just fit the width of a car! JUST!   If you strike a car coming the other way it's a battle over who will reverse until they can find a spot to pass.  In the info about the road if you strike a car at the wrong spot it can mean one of the two cars reversing up to 3km (1.8miles) to be able get past each other.  We were fortunate as there was very little traffic, although we did almost have a head on crash with a crazy guy going way too fast that met us on a blind corner.  He ran off the road, fortunately off the road on the safer side into a ditch.  Lucky for him it wasn't a rock wall on one side and a cliff on the other.    The road is 4x4 only and has a big warning sign upon entry, also rental vehicles insurance is invalid if you enter the road with one.  I have never driven this road and I'm unlikely to so it's a real treat to go on it.  My 4x4 isn't the type built for heavy off road use, I think it would die, if it didn't die it'd sure get stuck as some parts of the road are very wild.
      So we left Queenstown and hit the road... here are a few photos of the crazy road

I didn't take too many, I was busy holding on, it has drops of up to 2500 feet. 🙂

You cross an old suspension bridge they built in 1871.  The cars rear view mirrors almost hit the side of this bridge.

Here is a photo of the bridge, it's crazy high off the water....

You can see why I was holding on tight 🙂 Not only that, it's just wide enough for a car.
      We arrived at some of the many old gold workings in the area about midday and had a go with our detectors, JW had been here a few times some years ago and never had any luck, but we figured with the GPZ and X-coils it was worth a shot.  Some years ago Mrs JW found a few in the area.  I think JW said the last 3 times he'd tried he had a skunk.  This adventure's not so much about finding gold, more the journey.
      Here's JW scoping out where to detect

The old workings are huge!

They had holding dams for their water pipes that run around the area

They really changed the landscape.  I think for the better, something interesting to look at.

We settled on an area we could see a bit of bedrock and got our gear ready.

Bits of old sluices were laying around everywhere

So off we went for a couple of hours detecting, JW went to the old bedrock Mrs JW found a few some years ago and I went down to detect some of the piles.
      There are hot rocks everywhere and they drive you mad, I had my mini Monster with me which helped as when I was digging them I used that as a discriminator to work out if I should continue the dig.  They were often deep in the piles and sounded like a good target.  The iron stones stuck to my pick magnet well. 🙂

I had a nice sounding target with the GPZ right on top of a gravel pile.

It survived a few scrapes, a check with the Mini monster and it was mostly ferrous on the meter with the occasional bounce to non-ferrous so I decided to keep going and recover it.

I am glad I did.  The 12" X-coil surprises me how sensitive it is to small stuff, those spiral windings are crazy sensitive, but this time it really showed me how sensitive it is, the target was a bit of gold.

A tiny little bit!!!

0.016 of a gram, 0.24 of a grain, my smallest GPZ bit so far, and it was such a decent signal.  Unmissable.
      I yelled out and let JW know, he was up high above the workings at the bedrock using his 15x10" X-Coil on his GPZ.  He'd only found a couple of pellets at this point.
      I checked out the rest of the pile and nothing more so I moved on for an explore.

My next good target really had me excited, I was in another pile and had a great signal on the GPZ, before digging I checked with my Mini Monster, no target at all so I started digging, rechecked with the GPZ and it was louder and sweet sounding.  Checked with the GM and now it slammed across non-ferrous so I was excited.  I pictured my Gerry moment where I had a nugget to put in my mouth, he gets big ones from the piles!

No such luck.... not sure what it is.

A little sharp point.

We decided to call it quits, you've got to get out of here before dark, I could not imagine taking that road on in the dark.

On the way back JW took me to a spot on the river to show me an old dredge.

It has trees growing in it 🙂

The buckets were further down steam.

bits were scattered everywhere.

I recall JW saying it was an Australian venture that went wrong.
      We decided we'd have a go detecting the bedrock in the area

There was plenty to detect.  The river has a lot of black sand though, difficult to deal with.

The quartz line was pretty cool, went right up high on the bedrock

It just kept going, right up to the top.

The schist had some fancy patterns of layers

You hit it with your pick and it just crumbles away.

I had a good target signal here, I never got it out, the rock got to hard, the iron sort of staining had me worried too.
      The road back up from the river was crazy wild!

And that was it for the day, 1 little bit of gold between us but a mighty fine adventure, so we headed back to Queenstown.

The valley we were in.

Heading back to JW's

JW lives under the mountains in the background.
      We landed back at JW's and Mrs JW had made up a nice roast chicken dinner! Perfect way to end the day!
    • By G.B.
      Decided to hit the thick scrub again.

• By sturt
      Hi all. Been out there for a few years now picking up the bits that your lucky enough to walk over. The other day I was up early and on an area that I have been over before. Thought I will give it another go. Nothing found by me in the immediate area before. Tuned up the 7000, adjusted the harness for comfort and proceeded to swing the coil. 7.16 am exactly. Walked I think 11 steps and the machine went of its dial. Bloody piece of junk I thought but stopped and scraped the surface looking for a piece of steel, then I saw it. I take it that everyone has found their dream piece and remembers the thrill of the moment. The blood rushes, the veins expand, the hands shake, bad language starts and you hope your heart can take it. To me it was a monster, and now that urge to get back out in the scrub swinging the detector again is even worse. I then spent two days searching the area in a well planned 200 meter radius and found nothing. Not even a boot nail. How can this be possible? The saying that gold is where you find it seems true. Planning another trip as soon as possible, cheers sturt
    • By Allen in MT
      Dredge tailing piles are full of crap, can, barbed wire, nails, hot rocks etc. Was hunting in Idaho, After digging countless targets you think another iron chunk, but I dig everything regardless of sound. This one come in rather loud and was setting a  flat rock about 5" deep. Biggest nugget I have found. Weighed 5.56 ounce. Found a few years back and traded for a S&S 91/2' pickup camper, Now that nugget is worth a whole lot more and the camper has ;lost 3/4 of it's value. Oh well life goes on.