Beach Classification: Dry, Damp, Wet And Surf

The way I “classify” beach sand determines which search mode I use on my Equinox. It works well for me on our central Florida beaches.

Since all beaches differ in terms of salinity/mineralization, I’d be interested in hearing from other beach hunters if they too make this “4 layer classification” of beach sand conditions.

Dry Sand: area where the surf doesn’t or hasn’t covered. The sand is extremely dry and where most beach goers spread their towels and chairs. Area to the lady’s far left in the photo.

Damp Sand: Area where the surf once covered but has recently receded to the point where it no longer does leaving the sand still somewhat damp. Smooth area to the lady’s immediate left.

Wet Sand: Area where the surf still covers as the waves come on shore but recedes with wave action leaving the sand distinctly wet. Smooth dark area to the lady’s direct front and immediate right.

Surf: Self explanatory...in the water.

image.jpeg.c62abdf79d3733dcf965a4c822186ecd.jpeg

In the Dry and Damp areas, Beach 1, All Metal with sensitivity, recovery speed, and F2 settings adjusted for conditions works best. If I try to use Beach 1 and All Metal in the Wet sand and Surf, the amount of falsing naturally increases significantly.

In the Wet sand and Surf, Beach 2, discrimination activated and sensitivity being situationally dependent works best...the EQX settles down considerably.

This simply confirms Minelab’s recommendation but I’ve distinguished between damp and wet sand where they use dry, wet and surf classifications.

Question: Anyone else see a performance difference in Damp and Wet sand modes/settings?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,

We don't have beaches quite like that here in Southern California.  Your wetness classification exists as you described but we have a significant amount of black sand that moves with the wave action, currents and the tides.  I try to understand those factors and use them to my advantage.

We have some very large dry area beaches as you describe.  These areas can be hunted in Park, Field and Beach depending upon your personal preference.  There are times when I stay in just dry sand but that is rare any more.

When in the damp or 'tide zone' I'm in Beach 1 95% of the time at Sensitivity 23.  I ground balance often.  Mineralization increases toward the water most of the time and that affects the grid pattern of the detector.  My most effective grid pattern is perpendicular to the surf line but I will overlap with a parallel grid if there are goodies!  The Equinox and the 3030 both seem to handle the ground 'good enough' for me to hear iffy signals and dig them in all metal.  I do have more confidence in the 3030 discrimination screen than the Nox.

When it comes to the wet areas I am in calf boots so that limits my surf hunting.  There are very few surf hunters around here but there are many more in San Diego.  They go out to the goodies in some places because they rarely get enough wave energy to bring it up.

I still use Beach 1 and have not noticed much difference with Beach 2.  Swing speed and detector speed make more of a difference to me and I'm generally with Bias off.

My 3030 still 'reminds me' of where the good beaches are because each time I find a ring I put a Find Point on the screen.  Rings like certain beaches!  haha

Mitchel

• Like 3

In the Wet sand and Surf, Beach 2...

Do you find a loss of depth when using Beach 2 on wet sand compared to using B1?

In all but surf or trough, I use B1, tracking GB (until I hit a target as repeated sweeps sometimes cause tracking to drop the target as 'ground') as you said SENS adjusted to stable. Do hear a growl as I sweep the wet sand (east to west and back) and must keep the coil parallel to avoid falsing at the ends of each sweep. 

I use the same B1 settings in dry, damp or wet sand.

Regards,

• Like 1