5 Amp Usb Charger ?

KD0CAC

I seem to remember that reading that the NOX 800 required a 5 amp USB charger ?

Can not find such an item ?

I do a lot of battery stuff - automotive , solar , electronic etc.

And generally it's referred to as C-rate - for charging batteries , the only issue from all of my experience is a lower C-rate just charges slower , but can not do harm .

So what's up with the NOX 800 , I can only guess that in a manual it will say it will charge in a set amount of  time ?

So what's up with my memory of reading something like " NEEDS 5 AMPS " , or 25 watts .  

I think it is 2 Amps. Also, I recall that a lower amperage (1A?) may make the machine think it's fully charged, when it really isn't. Lower than that and it will take a long, long time to charge

• Like 1

I should add , forgot where I read it [ or thought I did ] - just did remember after the replies .

I did check the manual , 1.7 amps @ 5vdc ,   Which my added info , Ohms law says  8.5 watts .

I read a discussion here , as I remember .

So also the needed discussion - to talk about , the 5 amp reading here , have to do a search on that thread ?

Want to find the reasoning / proof of the 5 amp discussion ?

Or maybe I had a nightmare 😉

• Like 1

I have used just about anything and never had any issue except the time to charge. Note below. USB 2A charges in less than 4 hours but they also say you can use a 0.5A and charge in 18 hours. In other words, don't sweat it but more is better. You can't overpower it as it will only draw as needed. You won't find any 100A USB ports no matter how hard you try. By high quality all they mean is stay away from super cheap stuff that may have issues. They misspeak in the warning box saying mid-capacity. Capacity has nothing to do with it. Don't use mid to low quality chargers.

6EA0CEDE-766C-49EB-BD71-1CB7D6B90C0C.jpeg

• Like 3

Anker is good stuff, I have several of their devices, in fact one just like yours David for my travel kit. At home I got tired of wasting time looking for chargers and got this one from Amazon. Been happy with it also.

• 【8 USB PORTS】- With worldwide 100-240 volt AC input voltage, the USB charging station supports 8 Ports Charging to charge 8 devices at high speed. It’s a great multiple usb charger compatible iphone, ipad, Samsung, LG multiple smart devices etc. Only one USB Charging Hub with 40W 8A high capacity, which is great and enough for family to use.
  • 【LCD DISPLAY】- The USB charger can quickly detects and displays the current and voltage of different ports. Perfect design with LCD display, provide the fastest possible charge up to 2.4 amps per port or 8 amps overall.
  • 【COMPATIBLE】- This multiport USB charger is compatible with 99% of electronics devices in the market. Works with Phone, ipad, Samsung Galaxy, other cellphones and tablets. The portable charging also works with cameras, headsets, speakers, drones and kindle.
  • 【WORLDWIDE SAFE】- This 8-Port USB Desktop Charger is built in overheat, overcharge, overcurrent, overload, surge, leakage, lightning, short circuit protection, greatly improve the lifetime of battery and protect your devices.
  • 【PORTABLE DESIGN】- Compact design, detachable USB charger cable with multi port for travel. The USB Charger weighs only 9.88 oz. Compact size makes this multiple USB desk station a real travel companion. It comes with a standard US plug. 30-day money back guaranteed, 18-month limited product warranty and 24*7 easy-to-reach customer support for your purchase.

usb-charger.jpg

• Like 1

The amps should be about 2 amps at 5 Volts. I think the OP got his volts and Amps mixed up. I've been using a 2 Amp charger about four times a week now for two years without issue. Lower amp chargers just take longer. I personally wouldn't use any charger rated at more than 2 Amps just because my own experience tells me 2 amps is plenty. Mine is a three port with readout like the one Steve posted above.

I left something else out - doggy dew .

This was for mobile / auto motive / cigarette lighter , generally these are connected to 10 amp fuse at most .

So between the truck & boat , have a charging source .

This is my buddies thing going to FL with him , he will in the boat throwing everything back , I figure if I catch it - I should eat it 😉

So I will be mostly on the beach looking for goodies in the beach .

If I was by myself , truck & Airstream trailer - with solar , I would use the trailer's system , but riding with my friend - will be using his cigarette lighter in either the boat or truck .

I did a thread search , but could not find the post that I read about the 5 amp warning - so must have been a nightmare 

;(

Will be heading for FL beaches this weekend , should make it FL 4-5 days to play .

Thanks all