The Newest TDI Sl Tan Version With Hi-q

Joe klecz

Was here with the with the 7.5 and Hi-Q coils ,  it leaves tomorrow,, absolutely no comparison to the big box TDI ,, and the HI-Q isn’t any better at air tests than the 7.5  coil,, Whites says it’s for relics as well as gold (HI-Q)  maybe gold,, not relics having pursued relics for the past 35 years this combo isn’t it ,, I’ll stick with the big box and the standard spider coil,,, or use my other pulse the M/L GPX5000 ,, and as someone else had written ,, we shouldn’t have to buy or make higher voltage batteries to gain depth  ,, don’t get me wrong I love my Whites detectors owning1,  Big Box TDI ,, 2 , 6000 xl 1, Blue&Gray, 1,MX Sport ,, and 1 Eagle in Brand New  mint condition too pretty to use ,, this package is advertised as a gold and relic  detector / that HI - Q isn’t for relics of much depth  before it taps out  

• Like 2

When White's took the TDI design on from Eric Foster I fully expected it was going to be the starting point for a line of ever more powerful detectors, something that would give Minelab a go for the money. Instead, the SL watered the original big box version down. Now it was lighter and less expensive so that's all fine. But then White's discontinued the big box version instead of introducing a more powerful version, in effect actually going backwards in performance. People now do circuit modifications and battery upgrades to the SL models just trying to get back to the performance we had in the original TDI back in 2008.

I really like the TDI SL for what it is... and light weight, well balanced, affordable PI detector. But I think I speak for a lot of us when I say I am disappointed that White's never accepted the challenge and pressed forward with the TDI as a Minelab alternative. The excuse I was given was that there was no more room to grow with the Foster platform, that it was maxed out. I kind of accepted that, but now it appears that Fisher is going to release an upgraded version of the Foster design in the form of the Impulse AQ this year. It appears there was room for improvement after all.

Long story short, no, nobody with a big box TDI should get an SL model, even the latest, and expect it to outperform what they already have out of the box with a 12V battery.

• Like 4

Very little info is available on that unity  “tdi sl” HI-Q. All will base on your efforts. I read and i knew  a lot might say that an air test gives a false impression, but it is a very good starting point for depth capabilities.

Good luck and happy hunting 💎😎

I thought a Pi air test is useless as it needs the ground to send the signal back unlike a IB machine. Comparing my 2 IB machines and my simple Seahunter which is a PI, the PI is much much deeper in the ground than it's air test would show and the opposite with my IB's. I noticed the SH is somewhat weaker on silver than lower conductors. Not sure if high conductors are weaker on pi's in general?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kac air test were done with both the big box and the sl using the same relics for targets the big box knocked the sl out of the park  ,, no EMI  gain turned up what ever I could do to make the new sl perform like a champ ,, I like the color and really enjoy the lighter weight but the results aren’t there besides it’s raining and can’t get it dirty it needs to be in brand new unused condition in order to send it back

1 hour ago, Joe klecz said:

Was here with the with the 7.5 and Hi-Q coils ,  it leaves tomorrow,, absolutely no comparison to the big box TDI ,, and the HI-Q isn’t any better at air tests than the 7.5  coil,, Whites says it’s for relics as well as gold (HI-Q)  maybe gold,, not relics having pursued relics for the past 35 years this combo isn’t it ,, I’ll stick with the big box and the standard spider coil,,, or use my other pulse the M/L GPX5000 ,, and as someone else had written ,, we shouldn’t have to buy or make higher voltage batteries to gain depth  ,, don’t get me wrong I love my Whites detectors owning1,  Big Box TDI ,, 2 , 6000 xl 1, Blue&Gray, 1,MX Sport ,, and 1 Eagle in Brand New  mint condition too pretty to use ,, this package is advertised as a gold and relic  detector / that HI - Q isn’t for relics of much depth  before it taps out  

What wre you using as targets, Joe. Some more info on your test would be helpful.

Jim

• Like 2

Jim 58,69 caliber Minnie balls (3 ringers) Connecticut cost size button & vest size eagle button very common targets and a war period cut nail for good measure now in the field with the big box stock coil think it’s 12-13 inch I can dig those 58cal 10-12 inches 69cal 14-16 inch big bullet ,, buttons up to about 10   MAYBE 12 inches there again the new HI-Q will never see it with the TDI Sl in hot soil with stock power or even a slight upgrade

Air tests are not useless, they simply have to be used wisely. There are those who say detectors can detect deeper in the ground than in the air, and I'd not argue this is impossible in rare situations. However, you can generally assume that testing PI to PI or VLF to VLF you are not going to see detectors exceed what they do in the air under actual field conditions. Air tests are a good way to get theoretical maximum depths under very mild ground conditions.

Where people go wrong is in comparing PI detectors to VLF detectors in air tests. VLFs by nature air test great, but also by nature lose the most depth in the ground. PI detectors do not air test so great, but lose depth far less quickly than VLFs in the ground. So air testing PI to VLF is deceptive - keep it apples to apples.

Long story short I would not air test a big box TDI Pulsescan against a TDI SL of any version, and expect that in the ground the results will flip. In this case we are talking a 14.4V Pulsescan with a 12" round Dual Field coil versus a 12V TDI SL with 8" x 12"  Dual Field. If you used a higher power battery on the TDI SL and the same size coil it might have a fighting chance on relic type targets that Joe is after, but the HI-Q coil is more a nugget hunting coil so leans better performance on small stuff. Between the smaller coil and lower power battery what Joe is reporting is exactly what I would expect.

• Like 3

I was only comparing what I noticed between the machines I have and noticed with similar coil sizes 10x12 on ib and 12x14 on Pi the IB is much stronger in the air but out in the field it isn't so. Does EMI effect Pi's more? I have horrible EMI in my area around my house.