The Newest TDI Sl Tan Version With Hi-q

Joe klecz

One thing I was surprised  by, in my tests, was the large difference between air tests, and ground tests, when comparing coils. With my SL, the 12DF was always the hottest coil in air tests, even on gold as small as 1 grain. But when I tested that coil on small targets in the ground, it performed poorly. Also, when comparing the NF Sadie with the Whites 7.5DF, the Sadie was clearly better in air tests, but testing in the ground showed much less, or almost no difference between them. One thing I learned in all that is to never use an air test as the deciding factor for detector, or accessory coil purchases.

Jim

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kac said:

Does EMI effect Pi's more? I have horrible EMI in my area around my house.

Just depends on the models. In general I’d say yes, but then a Fisher F75 before DST was one of the most EMI troubled detectors I ever owned. It has more to do with receiver gain and frequencies than type of detector.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 6:04 AM, Jim in Idaho said:

One thing I was surprised  by, in my tests, was the large difference between air tests, and ground tests, when comparing coils. One thing I learned in all that is to never use an air test as the deciding factor for detector, or accessory coil purchases.

Jim

I agree. Highly mineralized ground in particular tends to flatten differences observed in coils while air testing. When doing actual detector comparisons all my tests are on actual found targets with extensive cross checking. But to each their own. I’ll still bet my dollar on the 14.4V big box vs the 12V SL with smaller coil for larger targets, which is probably the real issue at hand here, not the testing methodology.

How I Field Test Metal Detectors - Methodology

Using Air Tests To Gauge Detector Performance

nokta-impact-xp-deus-teknetics-g2-minelab-equinox.jpg
image.jpeg
minelab-gold-monster-vs-nokta-impact-vs-teknetics-g2-vs-makro-gold-racer-vs-ctx-3030-vs-xp-deus.jpg

• Like 1

I wish there was somebody near me, with a big box TDI. I would really like to see how my modded SL, running on 16v, stacks up on identical targets in the ground.

Jim,

I’m betting you have a top performing detector Jim! Probably splitting hairs when you get right down to it. To be fair is the Pulsescan owner allowed to do the 18V mod to their detector? Modded machine versus modded machine? :laugh:

I do think most people want to use detectors off the shelf however, and not get involved in doing lots of mods to get the performance they desire. It would be nice if Whites put out a special line of hot rod TDI models. If you can do it, why can’t they? I hear excuses about reliability, but I’ve not heard of anyone yet blowing up an SL by boosting the voltage. And frankly if that were an issue, it would just call for higher quality components. So how about it White’s? Instead of a black or tan TDI how about one with flames on the side and a set of pipes! :smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Jim in Idaho, I have used my Tdi Sl with battery boost now for a while, there is a significant improvement. The reality is that the Tdi Pro will beat the SL for depth under all ground conditions, under all circumstances. The 16 volt battery pack narrows the margin but if depth is the only criteria then the Pro wins. If ease of ground balance and battery power and life are included then the Pro increases the margin significantly, particularly in difficult ground conditions. As the owner of both machines for years, that is my experience. A Tdi Sl using the lower 12 volt battery or the Whites rechargeable packs provided with the detector is way behind in depth.

I did a quick comparison between different voltage on a Tdi SL, then compared the results using the Tdi Pro. Machines had a Whites Super Pulse 220 coil fitted. The Tdi Sl machine ran with gain or max, the Pro had gain on 5.

12.34 volt Tdi SL  1 grain gold ingot  6cm,  half gram gold coin 24cm, Half Sovereign 32cm, US Quarter 27cm

16.48 volt Tdi SL                                   8cm,                                     26cm,                             35cm,                       30cm

Tdi Pro,                                                   8cm,                                      27cm,                            36cm,                        33cm

In my experience the worse the ground conditions the greater the margin in favour of the Tdi Pro, not gospel just my experience.  No expert but I suspect the ground balance system of the Pro and the filtering on the Tdi Sl both play a part. The depth comparisons  above do not tell the whole story. A super light  and beautifully balanced Tdi Sl with upgraded battery is not a bad thing..

The reason I have an Sl is because of the very light weight, it is great for kids and old people, the battery system allows air travel, that beautiful smooth audio. It is a great loaner detector for family and friends. If depth is the main criteria then the Pro is it. I like the Tdi machines for their flexibility, great on the beach, good for coins and relics. They have decent performance on the goldfields, a great all rounder. The dedicated gold prospector is probably much better served by Minelab's superb line of gold machines. An individual who likes to do a little of everything like me can find excellent value in the Whites. There is a strong argument for a second hand Tdi Pro, rebuild a few new battery packs, a great value.  

I have been asked by many people about this, just expressing an opinion based on my personal experience. 

All the best.

twins1.jpg

twins2.jpg

twins3.jpg

twins4.jpg

1552006933_twins5.jpg

• Like 6

Karelian, the added battery voltage isn't the only mod on mine. I've changed the filtering capacitors on the sweep speed filter, as suggested by Reg Sniff and also did Reg's second suggested mod of removing capacitor C56 and the diodes D20 and D21, and installing the jumper across the legs of D21. That second mod is now done by the factory on newer TDI SL'. I'd bet my unit will run pretty close to the big box units.

Steve, I'd like to have a TDI Pro, and do all the Reg Sniff mods to it, along with a 5-cell battery pack. I'd bet that would be a pretty decent machine. But I'm pretty happy with my modded SL, right now. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a TDI, or TDI Pro, or a Garrett ATX to mod, but won't pay a lot to get one. Too many new detector models coming out to pay a high price for a used one.

Jim

• Like 2

Joe klecz just google 'neoprene arm rest covers', also search ebay, should get lots of results. I just got them off ebay years ago, just checked and there are lots of different dealers online..

I agree and fully recognise Jim in Idaho that your Tdi Sl has been modified and that it is an excellent performer. I am not entering the realm of modified units, just talking about stock machines.

Due to a good friends passing, I have two Tdi Pro machines, one stock standard and one modified. I actually prefer my own machine which is not modified, its mounted on the Anderson rod. My old friend had some work done to make the threshold smoother and add some extra gain, not sure of the details. I can say the modified Pro is hotter on the beach and my machine is better on hot ground. I'll get around to selling it soon, after I have finished playing with it. 

It's frustrating  but I will get rid of it as 'not working for parts', simply because I don't know what the heck was done to it and I refuse to sell machines any other way if I have questions about their condition. Probably why I don't entertain modifying any of my own machines, apart from that 16 volt battery pack... works well..

Look forward to a Tdi Pro standard vs Tdi Pro Modified comparison before I get rid of it.

All the best.

IMG_1725_edited.jpg

IMG_1726_edited.jpg

• Like 1