The Newest TDI Sl Tan Version With Hi-q

Joe klecz

That would be a really interesting comparison, Karelian. Ill be looking forward to seeing that, especially regarding the performance on small gold.

Jim

On 1/22/2020 at 10:44 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Air tests are not useless, they simply have to be used wisely. There are those who say detectors can detect deeper in the ground than in the air, and I'd not argue this is impossible in rare situations. However, you can generally assume that testing PI to PI or VLF to VLF you are not going to see detectors exceed what they do in the air under actual field conditions. Air tests are a good way to get theoretical maximum depths under very mild ground conditions.

Where people go wrong is in comparing PI detectors to VLF detectors in air tests. VLFs by nature air test great, but also by nature lose the most depth in the ground. PI detectors do not air test so great, but lose depth far less quickly than VLFs in the ground. So air testing PI to VLF is deceptive - keep it apples to apples.

Long story short I would not air test a big box TDI Pulsescan against a TDI SL of any version, and expect that in the ground the results will flip. In this case we are talking a 14.4V Pulsescan with a 12" round Dual Field coil versus a 12V TDI SL with 8" x 12"  Dual Field. If you used a higher power battery on the TDI SL and the same size coil it might have a fighting chance on relic type targets that Joe is after, but the HI-Q coil is more a nugget hunting coil so leans better performance on small stuff. Between the smaller coil and lower power battery what Joe is reporting is exactly what I would expect.

Very true Steve, you can't compare a PI with a VLF.  Two totally different technologies, two totally different test results.

The areas I hunt with my TDI will all but completely shutdown the very best VLF machines.

• Like 1