18 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hmmm, maybe I should change this into an analog detecting forum that celebrates all the old machines regardless of brand. Obviously just being a Tesoro Forum will run out of steam entirely as time goes on.

That would be cool. I always wanted to try a D-Tex, Gardiner, Compass, Arado, etc... but was stuck on early Bounty Hunters and Whites. Always wondered if anyone actually used them in the parks around my area in the 70's

Last hunt with a Dtex 2010 SK50 and a picture of a very hard to find camo hip mount version.

No longer have either detector.

Both were fun to use.

My website: https://www.treasurelinx.com/

DTX2.JPG

sk503.JPG

8794jkl_20.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Other than my minding the store here for historical purposes, the world is moving on. Soon Tesoro will be just like Compass Electronics... a fond memory for us old-timers.

Hmmm, maybe I should change this into an analog detecting forum that celebrates all the old machines regardless of brand. Obviously just being a Tesoro Forum will run out of steam entirely as time goes on.

That’s a great idea Steve.   Either the obsolete/bygone or analog forum would probably get more action than just Tesoro. Here’s a pic or two, the Compass is a $20 flea market find that I was able to get working again!!  No great finds with it but it’s fun to do a lap with every now and then and learn a bit about the technology curve🤠    Also a shot of the one large cent I found with the “lowly”🤔 Compadre!!!

12BFA402-9CEB-402B-BF4B-F0FB656E988F.jpeg

56FBAA9A-3358-401A-903E-66313EAD6DCD.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sven1 said:

Last hunt with a Dtex 2010 SK50 and a picture of a very hard to find camo hip mount version.

Both were fun to use.

DTX2.JPG

sk503.JPG

8794jkl_20.jpeg

Seeing those wooden coil housings is super cool!!  Thanks for posting Sven

They are not wooden, standard plastic  Dtex coils, factory brown camo.

• Like 1

I still have a couple of Tesoro.   A GSII and a Compadre.   Might still pick up another Cortes in the future when I cross paths with the right one.    

Since I like to use all my detectors, it takes a while for them to come up in rotation to talk about.  And I sometimes give the new ones extra attention.  😂

HH
Mike

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Sven1 said:

Both were fun to use.

My website: https://www.treasurelinx.com/

Your website is a very helpful and valuable resource - thank you Sven! :smile:

I have renamed this the Compass, D-Tex, Tesoro, Etc. forum to cover all past brands.

My old Compass Coin Magnum...

4BC0B154-3861-4DAC-A5AB-E7FCAD64FF8E.jpeg

and Compass Gold Scanner Pro...

F3730298-91AA-44E8-8791-909BDA1B097B.jpeg

• Like 3

This is terrific Steve,  name change geared towards older models.  I think it’ll draw good traffic, it’s a needed forum for old timers like us to visit. 

I knew you used a GoldScanner Pro from an article you wrote years ago, but can’t remember reading you had a Compass Coin Magnum II. Gold Scanner Pro was a nice model to own back then, even today its fun to use.  Dug my first gold coin with one, fast recovery speed great in iron laced sites.

The Coin Magnum II,  was a model I didn’t start using until this decade. Believe it’s the first model having a manual Ground balance, George Payne creation. Also,  has a blanket circuit allowing user to bypass surface targets yet capture targets below this blanket. No depth lost, just crank up discrimination and only deeper low and high conductive targets will respond. Its down fall at the beginning, was too complicated to use and I agree took me a while to grasp it. Most users back then moved away from it, some regret not giving it enough time to learn. 

Sven’s web site always a treat to view, the enormous time he put into this is amazing. Many thanks Sven, We all appreciate your hard work.

Have so many vintage detectors I lost count, so many memories. Fortunately, Still use most of them. May not get out as often as before, but still tinker with them to keep them running. 

Thanks Steve for providing us a place to visit, hope the new year brings you gold and new forum members.

Paul

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

I was a Compass dealer back in the day and owned the Compass Yukon 77-IB, Compass Coin Magnum II, Compass Gold Scanner, Compass Gold Scanner Pro, Compass X-70, and Compass X-80 models. I got my start metal detecting for coins in 1972 and got into gold prospecting around the same time. However, when hold prices took off in the late 70s my interest and activity metal detecting dropped way off while I concentrated more on gold dredging. The early detector models were no good on the small gold prevalent in my area, whereas I could find an ounce of gold or more in a single day of gold dredging. I’m sorry to say I passed upon a lot of prime silver coin detecting due to my focus on gold. There is a ten year gap in the 1980s where I did very little metal detecting, just sporadic outings now and then. It was not until the 50 kHz White’s Goldmaster II came out around 1990 that I got heavily back into metal detecting due to it’s breakthrough ability to hit sub-grain gold. Even then other types of metal detecting took a backseat to nugget detecting. The only other type of detecting that I devoted much time to after 1990 was jewelry detecting, with a focus on saltwater detecting. It was not until the Equinox arrived a few years ago that I got briefly back to coin detecting. My relic detecting amounts to a few trips to England. My focus now is swinging back to precious metals again, both jewelry and nugget detecting. 

Long story short I used quite a few early coin detectors from 1972 to 1980 with a ten year gap in the 90s where I just dabbled with a few models like the Compass and Fisher X-series models. Then back at it in 1990 with a main focus on both high frequency induction balance detectors plus every ground balancing pulse induction prospecting detector that came along. The following is fairly complete though I am sure I have left a few out. Models I used enough to at least get familiar with....

Compass Yukon 77-IB, Compass Coin Magnum II, Compass Gold Scanner, Compass Gold Scanner Pro, Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Fisher 1236-X2, Fisher 1280-X, Fisher CZ-5, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher CZ-3D, Fisher Gold Bug, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher Gold Strike, Fisher F75, Fisher F75 Special Edition, Fisher F75 Ltd2, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Infinium, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ATX, Makro Gold Racer, Makro Gold Kruzer, Makro Racer, Makro Racer 2, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab XT 17000, Minelab American Goldstriker, Minelab XT 18000, Minelab SD 2000, Minelab SD 2200D, Minelab SD 2200v2, Minelab GP Extreme, Minelab GP 3000, Minelab GP 3500, Minelab GPX-4000, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab X-Terra 70, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta AU Gold Finder, Nokta FORS Gold, Nokta FORS Gold+, Nokta FORS CoRe, Nokta Impact, Nokta/Makro Gold Kruzer, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Diablo, Tesoro Golden uMax, Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero, Troy X-3, Troy X-5, White's Beachhunter ID, White's Coinmaster IV, White's Coinmaster V Supreme, White's DFX, White's Goldmaster, White's Goldmaster II, White's Goldmaster V/SAT, White's Goldmaster 3, White's Goldmaster 4/B, White's Goldmaster 24K, White's GMT, White's M6, White's MXT, White's MX Sport, White's Surfmaster II, White's Surf PI, White's Surf PI Pro, White's Surf PI Dual Field, White's Sierra Pulse Pro, White's TDI, White's TDI SL, White's Vision, White's V3i, XP Deus

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

It's an addiction. 😮  And I thought I was bad.

• Haha 4