Forum Name Change

Ā Hi everyone, my name is ( ............), and I'm a detectorholic!!!!!

HI (...........) !!!!!! WELCOME TO OUR GROUP!!!!!!!!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Ā 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Paul,

I was a Compass dealer back in the day and owned theĀ Compass Yukon 77-IB, Compass Coin Magnum II, Compass Gold Scanner, Compass Gold Scanner Pro, Compass X-70, and Compass X-80 models. I got my start metal detecting for coins in 1972 and got into gold prospecting around the same time. However, when hold prices took off in the late 70s my interest and activity metal detecting dropped way off while I concentrated more on gold dredging. The early detector models were no good on the small gold prevalent in my area, whereasĀ I could find an ounce of gold or more in a single day of gold dredging. Iā€™m sorry to say I passed upon a lot of prime silver coin detecting due to my focus on gold.Ā There is a ten year gap in the 1980s where I did very little metal detecting, just sporadic outings now and then. It was not until the 50 kHz Whiteā€™s Goldmaster II came out around 1990 that I got heavily back into metal detecting due to itā€™s breakthrough ability to hit sub-grain gold. Even then other types of metal detecting took a backseat to nugget detecting. The only other type of detecting that I devoted much time to after 1990 was jewelry detecting, with a focus on saltwaterĀ detecting. It was not until the Equinox arrived a few years ago that I got briefly back to coin detecting. My relic detecting amounts to a few trips to England. My focus nowĀ is swinging back to precious metals again, both jewelry and nugget detecting.Ā 

Long story short I used quite a few early coin detectors from 1972 to 1980 with a ten year gap in the 90s where I just dabbled with a few models like the Compass and Fisher X-series models. Then back at it in 1990 with a mainĀ focus on both high frequency induction balance detectors plus every ground balancing pulse induction prospecting detector that came along. The following is fairly complete though I am sure I have left a few out. Models I used enough to at least get familiar with....

Compass Yukon 77-IB, Compass Coin Magnum II, Compass Gold Scanner, Compass Gold Scanner Pro, Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Fisher 1236-X2, Fisher 1280-X, Fisher CZ-5, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher CZ-3D, Fisher Gold Bug, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher Gold Strike, Fisher F75, Fisher F75 Special Edition, Fisher F75 Ltd2, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Infinium, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ATX, Makro Gold Racer, Makro Gold Kruzer, Makro Racer, Makro Racer 2, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab XT 17000, Minelab American Goldstriker, Minelab XT 18000, Minelab SD 2000, Minelab SD 2200D, Minelab SD 2200v2, Minelab GP Extreme, Minelab GP 3000, Minelab GP 3500, Minelab GPX-4000, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab X-Terra 70, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta AU Gold Finder, Nokta FORS Gold, Nokta FORS Gold+, Nokta FORS CoRe, Nokta Impact, Nokta/Makro Gold Kruzer, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Diablo, Tesoro Golden uMax, Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero, Troy X-3, Troy X-5, White's Beachhunter ID, White's Coinmaster IV, White's Coinmaster V Supreme, White's DFX, White's Goldmaster, White's Goldmaster II, White's Goldmaster V/SAT, White's Goldmaster 3, White's Goldmaster 4/B, White's Goldmaster 24K, White's GMT, White's M6, White's MXT, White's MX Sport, White's Surfmaster II, White's Surf PI, White's Surf PI Pro, White's Surf PI Dual Field, White's Sierra Pulse Pro, White's TDI, White's TDI SL, White's Vision, White's V3i, XP Deus

I'm not worthy!!!

Ā 

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Paul,

I was a Compass dealer back in the day and owned theĀ Compass Yukon 77-IB, Compass Coin Magnum II, Compass Gold Scanner, Compass Gold Scanner Pro, Compass X-70, and Compass X-80 models. I got my start metal detecting for coins in 1972 and got into gold prospecting around the same time. However, when hold prices took off in the late 70s my interest and activity metal detecting dropped way off while I concentrated more on gold dredging. The early detector models were no good on the small gold prevalent in my area, whereasĀ I could find an ounce of gold or more in a single day of gold dredging. Iā€™m sorry to say I passed upon a lot of prime silver coin detecting due to my focus on gold.Ā There is a ten year gap in the 1980s where I did very little metal detecting, just sporadic outings now and then. It was not until the 50 kHz Whiteā€™s Goldmaster II came out around 1990 that I got heavily back into metal detecting due to itā€™s breakthrough ability to hit sub-grain gold. Even then other types of metal detecting took a backseat to nugget detecting. The only other type of detecting that I devoted much time to after 1990 was jewelry detecting, with a focus on saltwaterĀ detecting. It was not until the Equinox arrived a few years ago that I got briefly back to coin detecting. My relic detecting amounts to a few trips to England. My focus nowĀ is swinging back to precious metals again, both jewelry and nugget detecting.Ā 

Long story short I used quite a few early coin detectors from 1972 to 1980 with a ten year gap in the 90s where I just dabbled with a few models like the Compass and Fisher X-series models. Then back at it in 1990 with a mainĀ focus on both high frequency induction balance detectors plus every ground balancing pulse induction prospecting detector that came along. The following is fairly complete though I am sure I have left a few out. Models I used enough to at least get familiar with....

Compass Yukon 77-IB, Compass Coin Magnum II, Compass Gold Scanner, Compass Gold Scanner Pro, Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Fisher 1236-X2, Fisher 1280-X, Fisher CZ-5, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher CZ-3D, Fisher Gold Bug, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher Gold Strike, Fisher F75, Fisher F75 Special Edition, Fisher F75 Ltd2, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Infinium, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ATX, Makro Gold Racer, Makro Gold Kruzer, Makro Racer, Makro Racer 2, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab XT 17000, Minelab American Goldstriker, Minelab XT 18000, Minelab SD 2000, Minelab SD 2200D, Minelab SD 2200v2, Minelab GP Extreme, Minelab GP 3000, Minelab GP 3500, Minelab GPX-4000, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab X-Terra 70, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta AU Gold Finder, Nokta FORS Gold, Nokta FORS Gold+, Nokta FORS CoRe, Nokta Impact, Nokta/Makro Gold Kruzer, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Diablo, Tesoro Golden uMax, Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero, Troy X-3, Troy X-5, White's Beachhunter ID, White's Coinmaster IV, White's Coinmaster V Supreme, White's DFX, White's Goldmaster, White's Goldmaster II, White's Goldmaster V/SAT, White's Goldmaster 3, White's Goldmaster 4/B, White's Goldmaster 24K, White's GMT, White's M6, White's MXT, White's MX Sport, White's Surfmaster II, White's Surf PI, White's Surf PI Pro, White's Surf PI Dual Field, White's Sierra Pulse Pro, White's TDI, White's TDI SL, White's Vision, White's V3i, XP Deus

Hello Steve,

Ā  Ā  Ā Thank you for sharing a part of your detector adventures, you definitely were deeplyĀ involved in the hobby and started at whatĀ I believe was the greatest metal detector generation.

Ā  Ā  Ā Late fifties and sixties, yeahĀ OreMasterĀ and a few other companies started with FisherScope even earlierĀ but it wasnā€™t until the seventies the hobby took off.Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā Thatā€™s great you plan withĀ focusing on gold jewelry and nugget detecting in the future, Itā€™s a challenge perfecting both of these types of hunting. Plus, Ā Using the right equipment to handle mineralization improves the odds of scoring Gold jewelry or nuggets.
Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā You may have missed out on the park silver rush, but honestly you definitely made more of a return withĀ gold dredging.Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā From your list of metal detectors youā€™ve own, Ā Thatā€™s a lot of detectors and every year they keep getting better so brace yourself itā€™s a never ending addiction. Your memory is a lot better than mine, I canā€™t even remember or maybe subconsciouslyĀ donā€™t want to remember and that may be a good thing. They just keep piling up, Someday probably when I retire will list them on eBay.

With the GoldScanner Pro, and Coin Magnum II models. Ā I was so impressed with these old modelsĀ modified them to be better balanced. Here is a picture of one GoldScannner Pro along sideĀ two Coin Magnum II modelā€™s, using laterĀ meter assembly's with main controls above handle with heavier components underneath armrestĀ they are much easier to swing.

Ā  Ā  Ā Very soon, Will share my experiences with the Tarsacci as a relic hunter. Ā Itā€™s definitely the deepest in my stable of non-Pi relic detectors, itĀ constantly amazes me especially in tough soil. Ā Not just in mineralization soil, but farm soil rich with chemicals the Tarsacci see's right through it. Equniox and other top end suffer under these conditions.Ā 

Looking forward to reading and viewing future post of yours and reading future post from otherĀ forum members.Ā 
Ā 

Thanks again Steve for sharing!

Paul

0E43F321-EEBD-41F2-A2AD-2751AB72EF87.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2020 at 5:12 PM, Sven1 said:

Last hunt with a Dtex 2010 SK50 and a picture of a very hard to find camo hip mount version.

No longer have either detector.

Both were fun to use.

My website: https://www.treasurelinx.com/

DTX2.JPG

sk503.JPG

8794jkl_20.jpeg

Iā€™m not at all familiar with metal detectors. My friend just pulled out a DtexĀ Sk50 like the one in the first and second pictures. I was wondering if you have any information about where I can find a manual on how to operate the detector. Her Grandfather gave it to her but she doesnā€™t know if it works. Any information would be helpful. Thank you!