Whites Tdi Pro Stock Vs Whites Tdi Pro Modified

karelian

RickUk, I suspect that there are a number of factors a work that determine depth between the machines. First as a simple air test, with the ground balance OFF, we are focused only on threshold and sensitivity. Ground conditions are usually a huge factor.. but in air tests we can dismiss this, for now. This will play a big part in the later in ground testing..

So the modified Pro has a smoother threshold, making it easier for us to distinguish target response. Secondly the more pleasant threshold makes for a more 'pleasant' detecting experience, less concentration required, less fatigue etc. Finally I believe there is a small but noticeable improvement in sensitivity. Combining all of the above the machine could be regarded as outperforming the standard machine, by a small margin in regards to depth, but significantly more pleasant to use. Finally the modified unit can advance the gain a little further before it becomes a bit unstable. Not sure if it is the modifications or a common variable between all Tdi Pro detectors.  Rare to find detectors that settle gain on the same point on the dial. I had two XL PRO machines and they were identical, but one could push gain a little higher than the other, with almost identical depth and sensitivity..  question remains unanswered?

After years of using the standard Pro my brain is hardwired to 'work with' the warbles and I can easily distinguish target reponses. I work at a certain sweep speed which I believe is optimal, lots of coil control, know my machine and more..  I am immune to the warbles, others could easily find them distracting to say the least. Another reason why I have a Tdi Sl as a loaner machine, light and balanced, decent performance with the battery upgrade and that super clear and stable threshold..  Our detectors are what they are, so it is up to us to work out how to get the most out of them, normally we have to adapt to the machine since machines cannot adapt to our way of doing things.

The modifications on this Tdi Pro are I guess a way of fixing what many would regard as shortcomings in the standard machine and to some extent they have been successful.

• Like 5

Sorry about the dove in the background, a little bit of native wildlife intruding.. Just the Tdi Sl, followed by the standard machine with Anderson shaft and finally the modified Pro. Threshold and target response from a 1 grain gold ingot, just to flesh out some detail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My SL is much more like the signal you're getting from the Pro's. Same 1 grain bar. It does soften a little with the MJ 8 x 12, however.

I was trying mine indoors, and that makes the threshold noisier. Which coils were you using, Mike?

Jim

Jim in Idaho, in the last threshold target response video  I had the Sadie on the SL, the standard pro had the 14 x 8 Digger and the modified unit had a Super Pulse 220. I'm taking the Sadie and Super Pulse 220 coils into the goldfields plus one larger coil, probably the 14 x 8 Digger. So we have one small, one medium and one large. Targets will be the one grain gold ingot, the half gram gold coin and the gold half sovereign. I will bury the targets and will choose the same location as previous tests. The ground effects will be significant and will tell the real story. I'll test using a pulse setting of ten, normal ground balance, then repeat tests in both Low and All conductivity.

On a side note, I'll take that small Jimmy Sierra 6 x 4 Tdi  coil out as well, just interested if it will allow me to run with ground balance OFF in hot to moderate ground, just curious..

1489063233_smallgold.jpg

1489198530_testing1.jpg

• Like 3

That Sadie is a great coil, Mike. My SL is definitely louder than yours, with that Sadie and the 1 grain bar really looking forward to the in-the-ground tests!. Also the results with that 4 x6. Would you believe I also have a 31/4" x 6 1/4" Razorback for mine?  I'm guessing those are the actual dimensions of what you're calling a 4 x 6? I have yet to try it.

Jim

• Like 1

Never managed to find a Razorback 'Piglet' locally, so jumped on the Whites made 6x4 Tdi coil. The Tdi coil uses the Whites 6x4 housing used on the 'Shooter' coils. Images tell the whole story. I'm hoping that the small footprint will have much less ground affect and allow me to avoid the ground balance. Worth a try..

1484660272_gold1.jpg

1484660288_gold2.jpg

piglet.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I had no idea they had made a 4” x 6” coil for the TDI... that’s the first one I recall seeing.

I was surprised myself, Steve. Found it on Ebay last summer...Brand new. As I recall, it cost me $50. (sometimes you get lucky...ha!)

Has a nice, sharp signal on the 1 grain bar at 2 1/2" Mine is identical to the bottom pic  on Karelian's post.

Jim

• Like 2

Due to time restraints and excellent prospecting weather, I only compared the two pro's with the Sadie coil mounted. I did use both with the Digger 14 x 8 and the Nuggeteer 18 x 6 also, but not for testing, just looking for gold..  The location of the tests is shallow ground heavy in ironstone and hotrocks. Beautiful colour quartz and lots of red earth.. Both machines were stable, ground balanced well and suffered equally. The Sadie coil was stable but transmitted a bit of ground noise on both machines, both were good in ALL conductivity but excellent in LOW. No differences here. The big Digger coil was very good in All conductivity and superb in Low, much quieter than the Sadie coil on this location. The previous gain advantage the modified machine enjoyed on the beach and in air tests,  did not show up in ground tests. Both machines managed gain around five or six, no clear differences here.. Again threshold was smoother on the modified machine, apart from this they operated in the same fashion and behaved the same out in the field. More information and videos to follow shortly..

IMG_1829_edited.jpg

IMG_1821_edited.jpg

IMG_1837_edited.jpg

IMG_1850_edited.jpg

• Like 4

The location used for this comparison between the two Pro's is German Gully near Fryerstown in Victoria. The ground is very hot, has been worked and surfaced in areas. Produced nuggets, iron stone and hot rocks in quantity. Ground moisture is very low, very very dry.

Test results were only done with the Sadie coil, I have included old results done  years ago at a different location with the standard Pro. 

Soil moisture during the 'old test' were much higher, I am thinking that and the different locations explain the different results.

Old test,                         1 grain gold ingot 6cm, half gram gold coin 21cm, gold half sovereign 27cm.

Standard                       1 grain gold ingot 9cm, half gram gold coin 16cm, gold half sovereign 21cm.

Modified                       1 grain gold ingot 11cm, half gram gold coin 17cm, gold half sovereign 21cm.

So the modified unit has a small gold advantage, smoother threshold , all else being equal..

Video to follow shortly.

• Like 6