Whites Tdi Pro Stock Vs Whites Tdi Pro Modified

karelian

The standard Pro machine with the Sadie coil with quick ground balance on video, then switch to Low and finally the Digger 14 x 8 in All and Low. Just shows that sometimes ground noises cannot be eliminated, just managed... All the best.

• Like 1

I'll complete 'playing' with the Tdi Pro modified unit by making a five cell battery holder. I've used the standard 8 cell White's battery and I have made a 'emergency' four cell battery holder. I will expand to the five cell holder and give it a go. Not the first to do this so I'm not too worried about damaging the machine. Should be around 21v hot off the charger and give an honest 18 plus volts most of the time.

Just plan to combine a two cell and three cell holder into a single five cell unit, pretty simple. Just an expansion of the earlier 4 cell holder. The Tdi Sl likes a little extra voltage so I'm keen to see how the Pro works with a bit extra..  A modified Pro with upgraded battery voltage, about as far as I can go with this machine I think..

IMG_1864_edited.jpg

• Like 4

I've seen people talk about this Mike, but haven't heard from anybody that's actually tried it. Sure hope you do some tests, and post the results.

Jim

Jim in Idaho, I am sure 'Reidman' did a five cell battery pack for the Tdi Pro going back a few years now. I'll just do the simple version with a five cell holder, nothing fancy. Works well for me to be able to remove the batteries and swap out in the field and better for the cells since I use a quality smart charger. I can used protected 18650 cells, don't have to worry about over charge or discharge..

Yes I will have to do another comparison test, the extra voltage demands it.  

Again I think the combination of a modified machine with the higher voltage battery pack is about all I can think of when it comes to maximise depth potential. 

• Like 2

Despite a valiant attempt with a Dremel tool, a five cell removable battery holder will not fit in the Tdi Pro. That few extra millimetres taken up by the battery holders betrays the concept, it is a dead duck folks. Four removable cells is easy, five has me defeated. The idea of leaving the battery door open and using an 'external' battery doesn't sit well with me. I like to do these things properly so I will invest a little bit of time and effort.

Gave it some consideration and decided to go the full 'Reidman' style battery pack instead. Heat shrink wrap, circuit, and dedicated charger. This means quality Panasonic cells combined with cheap Chinese sourced charger and circuit. Given the realities of the global health crisis, there will be some delays. I have not given up, just upgraded from a quick and simple test to a full battery build project. An electronics technician and family member tells me it's all too easy, hope so. Including all five Panasonic cells, circuit and charger it should come in at $100 Australian Dollars or $70 US. All the best.

1531481957_Reidmanbattery.jpg.5addda364969788b397c8b1e30bc6ed2.jpgcharger.thumb.jpg.925276351ea5fd8c981c441aaec10c17.jpgcircuit.jpg.9885476393698719644681e99a7e17da.jpg 

• Like 3

And I’m hoping you don’t let any smoke out of the TDI........👍

Tony

PS....is the TDI PRO powered with those standard barrel connectors and the SL the standard Whites AA holder?

Tony the Tdi Sl uses the same battery pack as the Xl Pro, Mxt etc.. The Tdi Pro uses a 8 x 18650 battery pack, 14.8 volts. It is actually roughly 16.8 volts fresh off the charger. The Reidman 5 cell pack comes in at 21 volts fresh off the charger and runs at 18 + most of the time.

Anyone with experience with the Reidman  battery for the Pro, please let us know what to expect.. no smoke coming out of the machine?  Some of us are looking to update or refurbish our Pro battery packs. I'll probably replace the cells with newer higher capacity cells in my older Whites battery pack after this.  But I'll start with the 'Reidman Replica' and then see where I go from there.

Tony the images show how the battery connects with the Tdi Pro, nice and tight. Heat shrink battery wrap is the key here. You can see how it plugs in.. All the best.

IMG_1868_edited.jpg

IMG_1870_edited.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for that......so this one (4S2P) from Batteries Direct would suit the TDI Pro.

I have the 4S1P for my TDIBH.......half the one pictured.

Ouch...they want $166 for the pack !

99E16C6F-78C1-4E43-AE51-7086C1B9DC96.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Spot on, the price is half what was charged locally in Australia  for the original packs that came with the machines..  So buy this pack  that is ready to go, or buy new cells and 'open up' the old packs and swap over for new higher capacity cells then re apply new heat shrink plastic etc.  The pack I'm looking to build has 5 in series for higher voltage but less run time. Lot of Tdi Pro users in Australia would be well served by this battery Tony, well spotted.

• 4 months later...

All the bits and pieces have finally arrived so the high voltage Tdi Pro battery pack is in the works. Circuit, heat shrink wrap, soldering iron etc, 5 x Panasonic cells, dedicated recharger completes the picture. This battery project is the final chapter in my Tdi Pro modified units evolution. Something to keep me busy on a rainy day.. All the best.

IMG_1890.JPG

IMG_1891e.jpg

• Like 4