Fire Agates???

I think most of these are agates but the one on the left in the middle I am not sure what it is. It kind of looks like a flower. When I was out detecting I run in to these rocks. They seem different then most I see. Anybody know what the one on the left in the middle is? It's kind of white. And what are the rest?

9D32E0C6-199A-4137-9882-43041639F8BC.jpeg

3DF59882-363A-4ACE-A594-0A971A1EDFA7.jpeg

Looks like some chalcedony which is close to agate, they are all Sio2.  Nice plate of rocks full of color.😀

• Like 1

When I was growing up we had a cabin in Missouri and had picked up a bunch of the same type of rocks.

We simply called them quartz, but I really don't know the name of all the different types of them.

Nice looking rocks though and have always liked the ones in the middle.

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

Chalcedony in various forms

I do believe that you are correct as I searched for pictures some were very close to what you have stated.

You have the right materiel there.  Chalcedony that forms in a flower shape is often called a Chalcedony Rose.  Some area's they can be quite common.  Here's a link to a search on TreasureNet take a look at Steve1236 and his posts.  He's actively digging similar material in AZ.  http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=25580535

• Like 1

Thanks DDancer……..that is a great site also, with a lot of info

• Like 1

I'm no expert but that one piece seems to show a hint of fire. My brother went big time into fire agates a few years back and you can see some amazing photos on his website here. He is quite expert at cutting and polishing fire agate. He still has claims in Arizona and lots of gemstone material but has been busy on other projects the last couple years so has not put any more material up on his website recently. There are lots of photos and information though, including photos of rough material you can use for comparison.

slg066e1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve…I found his site very interesting. I think I need to hunt a little to find one like that.