Equinox Detecting In Pinpoint Mode

Yellowstone

Well, did some more experimenting.  Beach 1 in concentrated black sand is a no.  Pinpoint does seem to pack more punch there.  Beach 1, GB 0, F2 0, Recovery 4 may have a whisper of an advantage on wet, salt beach (not in the water).  But beach 1 is far easier on the ears.   Chase, thanks for your comments, they paid off in spades today.  Gold ring 14k, 10.5 grams, silver earring, silver ring with stones (needs cleaned), silver links.

53764CEB-ABC0-4F7B-A8A2-F2C884683C05.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice finds - did you find them because you were pinpointing, or would beach1 have hit them anyway?

What about the ratcheting in PP mode..? Afaik the detector will substantially reduce sensitivity after hitting a target, which in consequence lets you miss smaller, following targets. It opens up after some time.. but I would only use PP mode in special situations with very little target density.

• Like 1

Good stuff, Yellowstone.  I can see where PP may help in a concentrated black sand patch as another tool in the toolkit, but only in small patches like you are using it rather than in a wide general search.  Glad Beach 1 helped in the wet sand.  I would also vary recovery speed some just to see the effect.  Intuitively, the "lower" speed of 4 (wouldn't want to go much lower than that in wet sand or things might get chatty) would tend to give better raw depth, but counter intuitively, I have found that higher speeds (6-7) might clean up a scratchy signal or wobbly target ID.  As with all detector settings - Your Mileage May Vary.  Good luck and HH.

• Like 2

Sinclair, after doing the comparisons, I was hunting in Beach 1.  Gold and Silver found in Beach mode.  Re: the ratcheting - hunting in PP, the 800 is sporadic at best, it fades in and out.  I just lift the coil in the air when it gets wonky and it seems to settle down.

Went back out yesterday for more comparisons.  Again in heavy black sands (sometimes overload indicator came on), Beach 1 and 2 not very effective.  Pinpoint did find a clad dime.  Dropped down to wet slope and waterline.  Used Beach 1, GB=0, F2=0, 5 tones, but increased recovery from 4 to 6.  Found a silver cross, copper ring and a few bits of lobster traps (still dig all targets til I get used to new settings).  Even in ankle deep water, Beach 1 very stable with sensitivity at 21-23.

Thanks to all who helped me walk through my questions.  Now I need to try Jeff's suggestions and see what treasures lie beneath the desert sands.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 11:39 AM, Yellowstone said:

Recently I was beach hunting with a friend (EQX 600) who detected almost exclusively in pinpoint mode and did very well.  After watching him pull several silver coins out of the black sand and cobble, I asked him to let me try to hit his next target.  Sure enough, my 800, beach 2, recovery 4, F2=0, full horseshoe, did not hit a silver dime.

A few days later, I spent 3 hours trying his method.  Using the same settings, beach 2 hit about 90% of the targets.  The targets it missed were silver dime, wheat penny and copper bracelet.

Does anyone know what frequency is used in pinpoint or what is different than regular modes?   I tried targets in all metal with no success.

Thanks

Beach hunting in PP mode?  You sure your friend's not messing with you?  

• Like 2

Johnny, were side by side in a patch of black sand and he was pulling silver coins and buffalo nickels.  I was wanting to move on when he showed me what he was doing.  At first, all I got was an earful of noise and thought I would try it again by myself.  Took some getting used to, but now I have another tool to try when the hunting is tough.

I'll give it a try. 

I know Beach 1 can make quite the racket in heavy black sand and if you think one of the tones sounds like a target, you can check it in PP mode to see if it's a real target or just noise.  The problem with PP mode is that it often comes on soft the first time you hit the button and sometimes it doesn't come on at all and you have to go back to search mode and then hit PP again.  

• Like 1