Equinox Detecting In Pinpoint Mode

Yellowstone

44 minutes ago, Yellowstone said:

Went back out yesterday for more comparisons.  Again in heavy black sands (sometimes overload indicator came on), Beach 1 and 2 not very effective.  Pinpoint did find a clad dime.  Dropped down to wet slope and waterline.  Used Beach 1, GB=0, F2=0, 5 tones, but increased recovery from 4 to 6.  Found a silver cross, copper ring and a few bits of lobster traps (still dig all targets til I get used to new settings).  Even in ankle deep water, Beach 1 very stable with sensitivity at 21-23.

Thanks to all who helped me walk through my questions.  Now I need to try Jeff's suggestions and see what treasures lie beneath the desert sands.

Good stuff.  Yeah, if you are getting that overload indicator than transmit power is being automatically dialed back and that happens in both beach modes (worse on Beach 2 because transmit power is dialed back from the start, compared to Beach 1, so overload, reduces it even further).  Pinpoint transmit power is not dialed back and so it is unaffected by the black sand issues that affect the Beach modes.  Glad you started this topic.  Now I have to experiment on two aspects of Pinpoint mode.

1 - As a limited, modulated search tool in high mineralization patches.

2 - To determine the impact of the GB setting on Pinpoint mode sensitivity as noted in this thread started by Jeff McClendon.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

I have used pinpoint mode for detecting in special situations several times.

Interesting.  Do you have to occasionally step out and back into pinpoint mode to counteract drift?

• Like 2

Just got a couple pics of a Franklin half dollar recovered yesterday by my buddy after 60 years of sunbathing on the beach.   He also found 2 silver Rosies. Hunting in pinpoint mode.

B969C9B0-EC9B-47C3-B733-E445D46F22CB.jpeg

584EAC4E-D9E1-4D08-8AF1-151E525C7DCF.jpeg