The X-coil Has Landed

mn90403

6 minutes ago, Swegin said:

try and find a cable wire harnesses shop.

Ah, might be the key words I'm looking for ...

That is what comes up here when I do a search for cable harness shops!  I'll go by the guys a couple of blocks away and see what they think and then tell them I don't have all the parts with me and then think it over!

It is just a bit of 'old school' precision that is required.

A friend of mine looked at me and said 'don't you know how to solder?'  The wires are too small I said.  I soldered some as a kid because my step-dad was an electrician but we wired houses not radios!

My auto guy says he wants to see the connector (male/female) so he knows how much room there is.  It is a small tolerance at the top and this would be a reason also to have the Chet connector type.  I'll have to check at Fry's to show him.

Zoom in this map to LA, I'm sure there are a ton there. This is a good way to find makers/electronics enthusiasts around you. I've visited them everywhere from Denver to Macedonia and there is almost always at least 1 electronics guy around.

https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

If they can't do it themselves, they can lead you to someone who can. Some are commercial businesses and offer fabrication services and whatnot. so click till you find one with a robotics/electronics lab.

Whoever you have do it - make absolute sure they check for shorts across any pins before plugging the patch into the GPZ. Also check for open connections.

35 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Were you comfortable doing continuity checks with the multimeter through the chip on the adapter? I've not tried that.

I tested for opens and I had no problems, but I've never had problems with any digital chips I've played with either so it wasn't a concern. But maybe it should be, who knows. Static (high voltage) is usually what toasts chips. But, we don't even have a schematic to know if that chip is even wired in series with the pin or not, some of this is flying blind. I guess if it's a concern then testing for opens is not necessary since the coil will simply not work and tell you that you have an open by proxy anyhow. Maybe.

However - checking for a short just measures from pin to pin on the same end of each connector. There is no current passing through the chip doing this even if it is wired in series with the pin and chip wire. It's either open, or current shorts back to the other MM probe. This is essential to check for before plugging in, IMO. This is the one that I think fries detectors.

But take all with a grain of salt. I have no desire to be held responsible for broken GPZ's. I probably shouldn't have commented anything, it's a lose lose situation trying to help people with this, and that's why there no one in the USA is making patch leads for any but close friends, and also a big reason why most who bought the coils here were people with soldering experience themselves. If I mess my own gear up, no one to blame but myself and I've toasted more than a few pieces of equipment by tinkering around so I'm used to it and it's fun for me. Someone else just gets angry.

Having static on your body while touching the bare chip wire is probably a big concern too, with regards to chip damage. The instructions don't mention proper body grounding though. This whole thing is a big use at your own risk. And come to think of it, even checking for shorts could drive current through the chip if the OEM-side connector is shorted somehow by a wayward blob of solder, alligator clip, etc - and if the chip is wired in series with the pin and chip wire so that current must pass through it and not be shunted around the chip instead.

• Like 1

I am just back from dinner and an electronics shop.  The shop sells the connectors that I need in several different types.  The owner understands how to put them on and he said it would cost $50!  I left him the donor coil.  I went back into the shop and I made sure that the X-coil connector would fit on the dongle he is going to make.  He wrote his own diagram of what side has male and the other side female.  He is also going to read what Chet and Dave have sent me.

I should be ok but wait a few days when he has time to do the job.

• Like 1

Ok, here is the 'bottom line' of how I describe what I am doing.  I am taking my 19" coil and placing a connector in the wire 56mm from the end of the connector that is on the end of the coil now.  

The coil works before the connector and the coil should work EXACTLY the same way after the connector.  When this happens I can then connect the X-coil.  It is a simple job really.  That is why the guy is only charging me $50 and knows that is probably at $100/hr rate.  I just needed to find the right guy.

We'll see how he does.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fredmason said:

Approximately 1200 bucks in USA.?.

I love finding gold BUT Mitchel, you better find an Oz a day before I would buy a semi-do it your self coil......

damn, I forgot I sold my favorite detector!

fred

Fred,

Where do you come up with the Oz a day?  haha  If I find an extra Oz over the next 2 years because of this coil I will be satisfied!

I can certainly see where JW has his giving him great joy in his old patches again.  Results will vary because I found gold with the Z that I know GPXs missed and didn't see.  I just don't know how much gold will still be in those spots that Gold Monsters, 800s, 14s and 19s didn't miss or see.  There will certainly be fewer misses but most of the trash is gone also.  I can't find gold that is not there or previously been found.

The best gold I've seen come from my locations lately was found by a modded 3000!  That means the operator has been finding more missed big nuggets (2 or 3 were over an ounce) because he camps out on the gold and he can spend days expanding the patches and finding nuggets missed by others.  I can't find that kind of gold on overly flogged patches and I don't have that kind of time for the next few years so I'll need to think more outside of the box until Curtis and I start camping out.

Mitchel

• Like 2