The X-coil Has Landed

mn90403

Well John, in ten or fifteen years you may have found enough gold to break even on your investment. Of course if you take into account petrol and other overheads you may never make it. 

Yes, yes, I know; it's not about money, but enjoyment, time in the open air, quality of life, etc. etc. Many people spend more on golf clubs,  fishing gear, or various other hobbies that provide no financial return. Whatever turns you on I guess.

I for one could never persevere in country that is a challenge for mountain goats, with only tiny gold for reward. I take my hat off to your dogged determination.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Phrunt, I pretty much had to give up panning and sluicing, because...after a few hours of those positions I could not stand up straight....I walked about a mile before I slipped and my back got knocked back into alignment...not fun. But I was a sheet rock hanger back then...

Reg, I hear you.....if they don't swing the detector like a weed-whacker the momentum will be much less....a Hip-stik, good bungy and swing-arm will definitely help.

fred

The splicer has called and said he will need to take a bit of curl out of the donor coil wire when he puts the female end on the cable.  I said that is fine.  It is not a problem.

I should be able to test it soon.  I don't have jury duty tomorrow!

He had not cut when he called me.  He was just telling me that the coil of the 19" cable was going to leave him a very short straight length to put the female end on the wire.  I told him that was less important than cutting where it said.  He said ok he would do it and then after he makes the adapter end he will then take a little of the curl coil out and put the female end on the 19" coil.

He will not be 'short' on the adapter end.  It says cut it at 56 mm.  He is going to do that.  Relax.

What he is telling me is that on MY 19" Cable the curl is very close to that cut.  If he leaves the curl in the cable it will be difficult for him to put the female connector on the 19" cable so I can use it again (if I ever wanted to).  Frankly I don't really care about using the 19" coil again but I do think if it is working it has value so I want him to put the connector on that end.

Did you guys put a female connector on your donor coil cable?

Flooding?  Prove it.  haha

How quickly will that go away?

The instructions are clear.  My splicer just wanted me to know the female end he will put on the 19" coil will look a little funky near the curl in the coil.  If you do the Chet method there is no funky look or need to take any curls out.  I used my 19" coil once in the last year so I don't care if it looks funky or not.

Hopefully we'll test everything today.  He was busy with other projects before the Super Bowl and then he went out of town.  He knows he can call Chet if he has any questions.  I don't need him to 'engineer' anything.  I just know he will be much more precise than I can be without any type of work bench and he has done hundreds of similar solders before. 

It is not that difficult a job as several yanks have done it (even a Kiwi or two not to mention those Aussies who started it all) on their own.  It is just unique.  Kinda like the coil.

4 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Mitchel 

you could send little Curtis over to help ....haha!

He could do it!

• Like 1