X-terra S-shaft Modded For The Equinox

GB_Amateur

..To make it very light ... and yet a well balanced detector on the 11 "Equinox coil / 510 grams / ... is not that easy .. because the weight of the 11" coil // 510 grams and the weight of the middle and lower rods / total 200 grams / already on the start limit the correct balance .. if Equinox offered a 9 "coil ... weighing up to 400 grams and 2-piece construction of the upper and lower rod ../- 100grams / then the balance of Equinox would be excellent .. note that each treats Equinox on a small 6 "reel (300grams) as very easy and well balanced....:

In the picture is...Equixox, spectra V3 and Teknetics G2.. :

1.Equinox on telescopic rod :..... metal armrest.. and the heavier  upper part.... of the telescopic rod tie Equinox well balanced on the 11 "coil.

2 .. Yes ....Whites Spectra V3.... is very well-balanced and also lightened by replacing the  accu-pack NI-Mh... for a lighter- but stronger Li-Ion pack.. / -180gram less / .. Whites Spectra V3... design allows very heavy 13"-18"coils/680grams-1030grams/to be used with acceptable balance...

3 ..Teknetics G2 modified 2-piece rod /upper part from Equinox+  longer  bottom carbon rod/-also is -150gram easier and better balanced .. not only on standard 11 "coil but also on 13" ultimate coil /530 gram coil/..

947583840_Marec10iphone5S2019021_DxO.jpg.d6389686e09a1e845bce0ae0773d2142.jpg

My  personal opinion is that the S_classic desing rods works very well only with a certain coil weight .. / max 400-maybe 500 grams/ .. after that is better straight bar ..

1555285754_JUN6iphone5S2019011_DxO.jpg.6d1d2921afd12f5fbdb886a743b0eb68.jpg

• Like 3

Weight and balance is one thing, swing ergonomics is another. 

I have no problem with the GPX series straight shaft, that big control box hanging off one end I believe has a lot to do with it. 

The X-Terra was brilliant, but I pretty much used the stock 9" concentric coil most of the time. 

The first time I picked up the Equinox I was like wow that is light, but as I'm 6'4" the lower shaft is extended out a fair way, then when swinging it around it felt good, but not as balanced as say the CTX3030 (which is a fair bit heavier overall). This is slightly improved with the DetectEd shaft (lower weight + better balance), but as there's no weight off the back of the shaft there is only so much you can do. 

When I first picked up a Vanquish recently, it felt kinda odd, couldn't really explain why but it reminded me somewhat of the E-Trac. But once swinging it around for 30 mins, the swing ergonomics are great. It just feels really natural. I think part of it has to do with the offset shaft.

I've always found the X-Terra shaft style set-up the best, especially for non counter balanced detectors, so can imagine it would suit the Equinox very nicely. Especially with a slightly smaller coil, would be a very nice to swing set-up for sure. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I changed mine to an S rod. Having been a White's dealer in the past and using White's detectors for about 20 years, I had lots of White's parts laying around so that's how i went. I used the S rod from a MXT or DFX $19.50 if you buy new from White's. White's lower rods for my Nox coils $19.50 each. The Lower rods are required because the Nox rods are a little larger in diameter than the Whit'e Rod. It takes a little work but simple to do.
The white's S rod has two spring buttons on either side of the upper end. The Nox upper rod has a single hole on the bottom. You must drill a 1/4" hole on the bottom of the White's rod to match. Remove the spring clip from the White's rod, cut off one of the buttons and reinstall so it protrudes thru the new hole you drilled. The S rod is smaller in Diameter so you need to shim it. I cut a small piece from a plastic Folgers Coffee can LID that would make 1 layer around the S rod and you need to drill a hole in the shim for the spring button to go thru. Only thing else you need to do is mount the Nox coil to a White's lower rod.
I've been using this setup about 3 times a week for over two years and it's still rock solid. I think it swings much better as the detector doesn't try to twist at the end of each swing, and I don't thing it needs to be counter balanced like the straight shaft does. Folks buy a 3 pound detector and then add a one pound weight to hang off the back, just so it swings better. Crazy IMHO. Some photos. Last photo shows Fisher Arm cuff with Sheep Skin Cuff Muff, cool in the summer, warm in the winter. 1/2" ratchet extension for attaching large socket for counter balance (I don't use). I decided to try the counter weight idea as many folks like it. I had a hard time wanting to add weight to the detector. These pictures show the 1/2" ratchet extension and a large 16 oz socket as that's what most folks need to balance it out. With the S rod, I don't think it needs the counter weight at all.

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This guy on eBay is selling Equinox ready S rod assemblies for a very decent price.

Interesting that he has a Detech Ultimate coil mounted (but obviously not plugged in) in his photos.

5 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

I've been using this setup about 3 times a week for over two years and it's still rock solid. I think it swings much better as the detector doesn't try to twist at the end of each swing, and I don't thing it needs to be counter balanced like the straight shaft does.

Nice, clean mod, Tom!

I don't understand the statement that the straight shaft needs a counterbalance vs. the S-shaft that doesn't.  My understanding is that the counterbalance helps with the toe heavy coil (not necessarily the 6 inch coil that you illustrate) and thus applies to either shaft configuration.  I'm still using my X-Terra S-shaft conversion and I have a 4 oz counterweight ($5 roll of USA dimes) in the butt of the shaft.

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s a real nice customization job Tom, well done!

This guy on eBay is selling Equinox ready S rod assemblies for a very decent price.

E4EAA06A-AE75-4E0F-923C-3B1B024E383A.jpeg

Steve,thats a great find,as its pretty close to us i may well buy one.

Great job. It looks like it would be better balanced like a T2/F75. I like it.

I'm going to get one. It is made in the Ukraine.

"I don't understand the statement that the straight shaft needs a counterbalance vs. the S-shaft that doesn't."

For me, with the S shaft, I don't feel the need for a counter balance, some folks might. I have the 6" coil in the photo but I use the 11" 95% of the time. Is it front heavy? Yes, but the way it swings for me with the S shaft, I don't bother with using the counter balance because the added weight doesn't do anything to improve the swing. With the added counter balance weight it puts a little more strain on the fingers. Lets face it, you still having to hold weight weather it be balanced or not. I just don't like making it heavier. I have an XP ORX also. It has an S shaft, it's front end heavy but nobody is adding weight to make it balance better. If it's light enough and swings well, you don't need a counter balance. 

• Like 3

I agree Tom. I think what GB is saying is we do not see a need for a counterweight with either rod running the 6” coil. Nor I for the 11” coil on the straight shaft for just the reason you mention. Just not enough weight to matter to me. Now the 15” all day long... yeah, a counterweight helps me.

I like S shafts but some of this S shaft versus straight shaft stuff gets a bit silly with detectors weighing under 3 lbs. I’ve run a lot of really heavy detectors, and for me balance has always been more important by far than whether the detector has a straight shaft or S shaft. The shaft style affects rotational torque, but in really heavy detectors you are probably suspended from a bungee which totally changes the equation. Rotational torque is overcome by sheer hanging weight. Nearly all big gun prospecting detectors are straight shafts suspended from a bungee. All the design work goes into balancing large coils with rear mounted control boxes and batteries. A 7 lb GPZ 7000 swings remarkably well for the weight because it’s perfectly balanced. But you better have a harness if you run that machine for long!

I can swing a GPX 5000 with 18” coil all day long week in and out, and with less strain than swinging an unbalanced lighter detector without a bungee. The Equinox with 15” coil and no counterweight is a killer versus a properly balanced but much heavier GPX on a bungee.

My all time favorite for weight, balance, and a grip that my hand likes is the Fisher 75. 3.5 lbs but perfectly balanced, and better than swinging a lighter Deus or anything else I have ever used. Way better than the Equinox. It’s not all weight, but balance, and yes, rotational torque. It all adds up, and the F75 as far as I know put more science into designing those factors than any other detector made.

0B107C30-3179-4587-9845-F010DDAD99C9.jpeg

fisher-f75-metal-detector.jpg
Fisher F75 metal detector

• Like 3

All that blah blah blah to say I like your Equinox setup Tom because it emulates the F75 with S shaft, post grip, and under elbow counterweight. Now if we could just fix the grip diameter to be a pistol grip like the a Deus! But that means moving the battery.

• Like 1