X-terra S-shaft Modded For The Equinox

GB_Amateur

I'm going to get one. It's like the T2/F75. Looks like it would work perfect.

Being from the Ukraine, I won't have it till July 2. 

I have very seriously considered trying to buy a used F75/T2 or a Chinese clone. Take the pod off. Take the Equinox pod off the handle - Just cut it off. Mount the Equinox pod on the F75 grip, attaching the battery wires from the pod to the battery wires that route to the underarm battery box.

That should allow the Equinox to run off three removable AA batteries plus a dummy. Worst case gut the battery box and put the Equinox battery in it instead. Better balance, better handle, replaceable batteries!

If I can find a dead T2 or F75 that would be perfect. I think this would be a great project, but I’m not willing to sink $200-$300 into making it happen.

minelab-equinox-replacement-rechargeable-battery-3011-0405.jpg
Replacement Minelab Equinox battery with battery door/plug (separate part)

That would be a great mod. The worst part would be cutting Equinox handle off. The hard part would be attaching the pod to the T2/F75 handle. The rest would be easy. The balance would be great.

I’ve already cut the pod off an Equinox handle before... a prototype I had to destroy, but I scavenged they battery out of it so I have a spare. Basically no big deal, just cut where the gray meets the black, using care not to cut battery wires visible in photo. They run through a removable rubber grommet plug in bottom of the pod into the handle.

The F75 pod attaches to the handle with a simple bracket and one screw. Should be easy to put a similar bracket on the Equinox pod, making it removable. If done right the F75 pod can go back on, and if three AA batteries and a dummy work, no mods to the battery case, whole thing could revert to F75.

You do not want to open the pod, can’t be done without destroying it. This is just for illustration. Make cut where black meets gray.

881EFBCE-13DE-4A43-B4C4-2582EA84B6C0.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like it could work.

Not waterproof anymore unless you can seal the battery cables.

45 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Looks like it could work.

Not waterproof anymore unless you can seal the battery cables.

I have three Equinox so not an issue for me. I only need two to be waterproof. I would be more than happy to give up waterproof in return for having easy field replaceable batteries. 99% of my Equinox work is on dry land.

35 minutes ago, Tom Slick said:

I wonder if Fisher would sell just the upper and middle rod with the battery pod to replace the one you ran over. 

I ran over my Golden Mask rod for the Equinox. I don't own a F75. Trying to get some Fisher components is like pulling teeth. Just try and find the armrest cuff for the F75/T2, let alone rod assembly.

10 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I ran over my Golden Mask rod for the Equinox. I don't own a F75. Trying to get some Fisher components is like pulling teeth. Just try and find the armrest cuff for the F75/T2, let alone rod assembly.

Remember that one????I had help from Fisher dealer in UK Joan Allen

RR

• Like 1

All you need is a worn out T2/F75. Maybe someone here has one. Would be a great project. And you could trim your coil :).

• Like 1