Beautiful Day Monday, And My Buddy And I Had A Nice Hunt...

steveg

Wow, I think that's some fantastic finds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steveg said:

It was a very small area, as it turns out -- maybe 30' x 30' maximum....

9 hours ago, steveg said:

All told, we managed 14 old coins from this tiny little area,...

That's quite the honey hole; well done!  I've actually picked up a valuable habit which I suspect is second nature to experienced coin hunters (as well as nugget hunters):  survey the area with wide, sweeping, non-overlapping swings until you hit a desirable target (old coin or relic).  Then be more throrough in overlapping swings, etc. in the area of the find.  It seems to be working for me, too, although in my case it's typically a few coins, not 14.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  It was a fun day, for sure.

GB_Amateur -- yep, that's pretty much how I hunt, in a spot I haven't been to before.  Kind of "survey," until you hit a good target, and then slow down and hunt more carefully.  That's exactly how it went, on this particular day...

Steve

Congrats on all that silver Steve !!!! You don't see many "5 silver days" posted in the forums.  And you dug my fav coin... the Buff. You did great. 

Talking about finding producing spots... I hunt on & off with a couple of silver slayers. They cover ground until they hit producing spots and then pound it.

They do however swing the coil in tight overlapping sweeps in selective areas. By the end of the day they both have dozens of wheats in their pouches, a few silvers, tokens, etc. It's amazing how they work a park. 

I on the other hand, don't move as quickly and tend to focus on a small area and dig fewer coins. That's just the way I like to hunt.

I would love to find a honey hole such as the one where you dug all that silver.  

Happa -- those honey holes don't show up too often; not here in Oklahoma anyway, and not on public property!  I have found a few more of these little "hot spots" when hunting back home in PA, but even at that, they are still pretty rare for me to stumble into!

I am usually somewhere between what you describe as to how you hunt, and that of the others you described, who cover large areas, until they hit a "hot spot," and then pound it thoroughly.  I move a bit more slowly in general, than some, while evaluating a new site and looking for those possible productive portions of the site, but if/when I find those areas, I absolutely slow WAY down, and really focus on what I'm hearing, and my swing technique...

Happy hunting!

Steve

Steveg.... This is an interesting subject which isn't discussed at any good length in the forums. You hear about techniques in the field in bits n pieces but that's the extent of it. 

Coil technique, speed, pace and the ability to read the field during the hunt has so much to do with ones success out there. For me personally...changes in these areas have improved my success in the field.