Sign in to follow this  
steveg

Beautiful Day Monday, And My Buddy And I Had A Nice Hunt...

Happa -- I agree.  It IS an interesting subject.  I learned ALOT about this, years ago, when watching a couple of my hunting partners, who are very talented/experienced detectorists.  There is a lot more to "finding stuff" than one might imagine, at first blush.  Anyone can pick up a machine and swing it, but those that can find what they are searching for, consistently, have a good many "tricks up their sleeves," that are not always readily apparent.  Having a "mentor," or two, has been invaluable for me, and I can't begin to describe how important all that knowledge that they are willing to share, has been for me. 

Steve

Nice digs there Steve, not many five silver days popping up these days!

Still would love to see you and TomCA go at it in an EQ800 vs Exp2 deep turf hunt some day 🙂

Thanks, Brian!

I'd love to hunt with Tom sometime, but I think his mind is pretty made up!  Truthfully, I'd love to hunt with you both!  Maybe someday that can happen.  

Thanks!

Steve

16 hours ago, steveg said:

Thanks, Brian!

I'd love to hunt with Tom sometime, but I think his mind is pretty made up!  Truthfully, I'd love to hunt with you both!  Maybe someday that can happen.  

Thanks!

Steve

Would definitely be fun to meet up.  We need to research something interesting between CA and OK....hmmm....I'm sure there's some interesting fort sites or something between here and there we could research 🙂

Brian -- most definitely, there are.  That sounds like a lot of fun...

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Phoenix50
      I like a bit of a challenge and, during the recent lockdown here in Oz, I decided to tune my Nox 800 to hunting just threepences.  For those who don't know, a threepence used to be Australia's smallest silver coin before converting to decimal currency in 1966.  They weigh about 1.3 grams and are 16mm in diameter.  Once free to roam, i went to an old goldfield  that lasted from 1855 to the late 1930's.  There were a couple of old homesteads in the area that lasted until the mid 1970's.  I figured i had pretty well worked out the best settings for the coin and was pleased that, after a full day's hunt,  I detected 14 of the little beggars.  I didn't get back to put in other hunt for larger coins as it persistently rained for the next three days and I was lucky to get my vehicle and caravan out through the resulting boggy bush tracks.  Still, I have narrowed down several old homesites and, what I believe was, an old pub site. Now for another leave pass from the Minister for War. 

• By Joe D.
      Hello all,
            A little primer first; as some of you may know, my Equinox is in "the shop", due to previously posted issues!  No worries; using the old trusty At Pro!   
           So between Covid, and the horrendous heat wave we are experiencing, i haven't been out much to detect!  But many of you have been out, and posting!  So i just had to suck it up, and get my butt out in it!! Summers here used to be a nice balmy Easterly breeze most every day! The last several years have been unusually hot and humid, with little to no breeze, and record temps! Dangerous conditions, if you don't hydrate well! 
          So, i decided to hit a few local parks, that I've hunted previously, a year or two ago! And stick to the "shaded" areas to make it bearable!  Yesterday i had the 5x8 stock coil on, and did about 3 hours, before it became unbearable! I was soaked, but did well enough for what i expected to find!
      Today was much the same, in a different park! With the 8x11 stock coil! This park has very large tree's, so the added depth helps here, due to very rich soil! 
         My results; as you will see below; are fairly typical of my park area's!   Oldest coin was a 1955 D nickel!  Along with a few early 60's; and up to present day coins!  Not exactly ideal finds, but goes with the age of the area's that are accessible here! And it keeps my skills up! I included some of the junk items in my  "paper towel" displays for future reference! 
         I'm looking forward (probably 6ish weeks) to getting the Equinox back, and get back to the beaches! 👍👍

• By TreasureHunter5
      Wow! Look at what just came out of my aunts backyard! It looks like a 1976/bicentennial coin collection. It clean up really nice after a lot of work. It was not very deep. I am really glad I didn’t damage the acrylic(I think it is acrylic).  I wonder how it got into the ground. Did someone bury it on purpose? Who knows. It is a great display. I can’t believe how nice it is. What do you think?

• By Bash
      So I've been getting a lot of clad coins with both the Equinox and the Vanquish 440 in the local parks, but even in the older ones, silver coins have escaped me for a couple of months now.  In between thunderstorms this afternoon, I hit the neighbor's parking strip, and in less than ten minutes, I pulled two silvers and a wheatie!  My first silver quarter, AND my first Canadian silver. The quarter is pretty trashed, but I'm glad just the same!
      Felt good to break the slump!

• By TreasureHunter5
      Here are most of my good finds of the past year. I have a lot of pennies, a few dimes, 2 quarters, and 1 nickel. I saved a few old pull tabs because they were out of use before I was around. I have a button, a toy car wheel, A few bottle caps, a spoon head, a few keys, a EP co cap, a knife, and a broken toy gun. I have a few finds not shown here. Like an arrow to a bow, a game horseshoe, another toy gun, and a few older coins that went into my coin collection. The gun in the bag in from the 1950s I believe, and a picture of a mint condition one is below. The mason jar liner was un broken when I found it but I hit is with the shovel( I saved it anyway). The zinc cap was to far gone to save. Hope they are interesting to look at.

• By GB_Amateur
      Split from this thread
      Have you read some of Mark Gillespie's posts about using the TDI/SL in a school yard loaded with coal waste?  Here's one.