Vanquish Reports Show More Solid Vdi Numbers

Tometusns

I've heard several guys comment that the Vanquish has a more solid id on targets than the Equinox. Isn't that what you would expect from a machine running half the number of segments. I'm certainly no expert but that just seems to make sense to me. With 25 on the Vanquish and 50 on the Equinox. I suspect even less jumping on the 440 & 340. You just simply have a larger area to drop the signal into which given the opportunity might cover more segments if they were available. 

Just thinking out loud...🤔😁

• Like 1

Just brainstorming here, but is the Vanquish running at equivalent gain?  Turning down the gain could lead to more stable TID's, but of course you lose finds in the process.

• Like 2

Lower gain does of course make a difference, not just in settings but what is inherent in the detector. More modern detectors are pushing the edge looking for any possible advantage. But more to the question I think I wrote one of the only articles I have ever seen on the relationship between the number of target id "bins" and target id stability.

• Like 4

It would be fair to compare Vanquish on Jewerly and Equinox on Beach 1. I think it is very similar to programs .. from my observation on very deep buried coins .. the Vanquish 340 and the V10 coil are deeply close to Equinox  800 and 11 " coil and recovery speed between 3-4 and sensitivity=20 ..

1. The Vanquish /beach1 type /program is resistant to salinization of large mats - and this can greatly reduce the ID stability on conductive, ... or fertilizer-enriched terain/saline/ ... especially compared to Park2 programs, Field 2 where less stable. -and accuracy ID more sensitive from saline terrain ...

2. The Vanquish elliptical coil shape here can also play its role in ID accuracy.

• Like 4

I agree with EL NINO77 that when comparing an Equinox to a Vanquish that Beach Mode 1 on the Equinox gives the best apples to apples comparison. The beach modes are going to be more stable than the hotter modes when it comes to target id and all evidence presented so far that the frequency mix used on Vanquish is similar to Equinox beach mode.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, phrunt said:

I have a $2 NZ Coin buried in my yard, it's been there over a year, it was buried at 10 inches.  The V12 coil hits it with perfect ID's every angle, the Equinox 11" Hits it with perfect ID's at most angles, a bit jumpy at one angle. 

Simon - can you provide each detector’s mode/setting information so the comparison can be put in the proper context.  I can have wildly varying TID stability results on an individual target depending on the Equinox setttings and mode selected.  I deal with similar challenges as you when running side-by-side testing in my yard (roofing nails, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

I made a scan of the Vanquish Tx signal using an oscilloscope and I can say that it is very similar to the Beach1 program of Equinox.

Vanquish Tx Jewerly programDS1Z_QuickPrint151.jpg

Equinox Tx Beach1 program

DS1Z_QuickPrint130.jpg

• Like 3

Simon- great information and testing.  I don't doubt your results in the least, however your conclusions seems to conflict with what we THINK we know about Vanquish, regarding your presumption that it is running a peak (or most heavily weighted) frequency of 30 khz based on what you observed.  If Vanquish is running something akin to the Equinox's Beach 1 mode in its Jewelry mode based on transmit waveform measurements by El Nino and others, then your presumption would be counter to how ML describes Beach mode for Equinox as being heavily weighted to low frequencies (which makes sense for stability in salt). 

Furthermore, based on other folks observations and the ML Vanquish mode descriptions, it appears that Vanquish is using only a single Multi IQ profile for all its modes and is merely switching up the default discrimination settings and recovery speed ("under the hood" so to speak as recovery speed is not directly user adjustable independent of mode).  What you are observing is likely primarily the result of the smaller coil's ability to resolve the nugget (vs. GBP).  And perhaps other differences in the way Vanquish processes the received target signal in jewelry mode and underlying recovery speed settings explain jewelry mode's observed abilities on gold vs. the coin and relic modes.  But frankly, no one really knows because ML doesn't provide any explicit information in this regard. 

What I do know is that you have really piqued my interest in Vanquish.

Thanks for the info.

23 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

I made a scan of the Vanquish Tx signal....

Yes, it looks like you just repeated the scan without changing detectors!

What are the values of the four FFT (purple) peaks?

• Like 1

Multifrequency Vanquish 340 contains 4 frequencies : 7.8kHz, 13.4kHz, 18,7kHz and 39kHz ...

....regarding the sensitivity of the Jewerly program on Vanquish 340 and V10coil. versus the Beach 1 program on Equinox - in the airtest, and certain predominance of the Jewerly program / Vanquish / within a range of 0..1grams of gold 11cm/vanquish/ and 10-10.5cm /Equinox/. I also see the Vanquish 340 increased range to 1.15 grams open gold earrings with a range of 13.5cm ... compared to the program Beach1 / Equinox / there is a range of 11cm ..

Equinox I have for sure .. tested on 11" coil / sensitivity 20 / and also 6" coil / sensitivity 22 / but I got about the same reach on the open gold earring which was 10.5 and 11cm .. Vanquish with a range of 13.5cm has actually increased sensitivity to ... this type of conductivity of the object .. the coin size objects no longer see this difference ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2