Tiger Shark And Mineralisation

Tony

I’ve been doing some freshwater hunting with the Excalibur lately but I’m finding that the old girl nulls quite a bit due to the lake floor being quite mineralised...it is a clay base. I can turn the Sens into Auto but that really dumbs the unit down and depth really suffers. I have been thinking of getting the Tiger Shark but not sure if the GB will be effective enough and whether it can handle the minerals. The Excalibur in PP is quite effective but there is too much iron junk to contend with.

Any thoughts out there.......

Thanks 

Tony

Any VLF has to have the sensitivity reduced to deal with difficult mineralization, and the Tiger Shark is no different in that respect. Between the manual ground balance control and sensitivity setting I have no doubt the Tiger Shark can do the job, but when all is said and done  I would not expect a major difference compared to the Excalibur as far as depth. The Tesoro however in fresh water has a distinct edge over the Excalibur for small gold targets, like ear rings or chains. That edge is lost in salt water.

Tesoro Tiger Shark Data & Reviews

tesoro-tiger-shark-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Steve,

I think I might have to pick up one of the last remaining stocked Tiger Sharks from the USA.........otherwise I’ll never truly know..........😋

Keep you posted if I get one

Thanks

Tony

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kac said:

Have you tried your TDI and do some crude discrim on it using the gb?

I did try the TDI......worked very well BUT the amount of iron targets of all sizes was crazy.....couldn’t separate easily with the 12” coil. Also the range of iron and iron alloy targets and their sizes means probably missing some good targets. There is gold and old silver to be found which gives a nice spread on the conductivity range so I need to be digging all low and high tones if I do GB. Thanks Tony 

• Like 1

Would the Nox work better if your not going that deep? Only real advantage on the Tiger Shark is it can go 200ft. Hate to see you spend the money on that and if something goes wrong with it there is no repairs.

• Like 1

Decided to hold off on the TS.......you can buy new units but in reality there is no warranty as such. Well there is, but no one can do the repair work if needed. I would have thought that dealers would be selling these off cheaper than they are, which is to say the prices remain unchanged since Tesoro’s demise 😔

Tony

Tesoro has never officially gone out of business as far as I am aware of and so may very well still be legally liable to back that warranty. I hear some piecemeal warranty work has been getting performed. I sure would not place my bet on any of that myself though, especially at full retail.