Tracking On- Saltwater Beach

tommass

On the beaches here on Cape Cod my old trusty DFX  was unable to auto ground balance but instead would initiate default factory settings. Scrolling through the many settings I always selected "ground tracking on" Hopefully, soon I'll have a Nox 800. as the DFX needs a new coil and/or some box work. Too old. Sorry DFX. Would using "tracking on" on the Nox provide better performance?

Have you checked the user manual pages 40 and 41?  You can download it via the Minelab web site.  I would highly recommend reading it while you wait for your new Nox to arrive if you haven't already done so.

The manual states Tracking GB is the default and recommended mode for the Gold Modes due to mineralization (page 41).  Auto GB is typically used for the other modes and there's a small section on page 40 describing a method to try if Auto GB doesn't reduce noise in highly mineralized ground or high salt levels.

So, it comes down to how mineralized or salty, in your case, your CC beach is.  I'd definitely start out with Auto GB and see how the Nox performs.  If your beaches are highly mineralized you may want to give Tracking GB a try.  I hunt some Gulf of Mexico beaches in Auto GB, but they have very low to non-existent salt mineralization.  Do as the manual states, use Beach 1 for the dry and the wet and Beach 2 in the saltwater.  You may even try Park 1 in the high and dry sand.

GL & HH

• Like 4