Nz Specific Coil And Dispelling Myths

To correct rumours floating around, there are NO Tarsacci agents in NZ. As I was the first to bring the Tarsacci into NZ early 2019, I feel confident enough with my hours on this unit to offer any help to end users in understanding and using this detector. I am not associated with the company, but my passion for detecting and honesty of feedback was appreciated …..hence the later development and arrival of the NZ specific Coil designed for our black sand conditions, but it also does exceptionally well on our east coast quartz sand beaches, mud and mineralised dirt too.

The following is a recent cut and paste from this forum which I took as a personal slur whether the writer intended it to be so or not. The link he provided is to an article I wrote in June 2019, yet in January 2020  and as a fellow Kiwi who belongs to that same NZ forum as myself, it raises questions as to the intent of his comment. I would have expected a call to the horse’s mouth, so I say to you…..you can bag the “guy”.....but not the lady! I “promote” by way of letting interested readers “aware” of ANY NEW detector or new technology irrespective of the manufacturer.  These are exciting years as MENSA brains are aplenty so the bar is getting pushed higher by demand and design and whilst I am able to do 6 hour stints, I’m making the most of it with whatever detector does the job I use it for.

Some guy went on a NZ prospecting forum and tried to promote them saying they've made a special coil for NZ conditions for the detector which put a bad taste in my mouth knowing it was a lie.  Not sure if he's associated with them or not, I hope not.

https://community.paydirt.co.nz/t/tarsacci-mdt-8000-with-new-specific-nz-coil-release/3826

OK, on a lighter note, Phrunt has also shown you photos of our famous Titanomagnetic black sand. The composition of this magnetic sand is made up of 82% magnetite, 8% Iron Oxide, 8% Titanium, Silica, Manganese, Vanadium, and Phosphorous.

It originates off the west coast of NZ at Taranaki, and this black iron ore sand is smelted at the Glenbrook Steel Mill and exported overseas. Concentrations of iron vary up and down the west coast…. 3rd degree burns on barefeet have been heard of in the heat of Summer!

You can all appreciate the challenge for ANY detector in these conditions. Just forget a VLF, a Pulse Induction will cope but it can be hard going. The NZ specific coil on the Tarsacci MDT8000 has only been up against a Tesoro Sand Shark, Sea Hunter Mk2, and GPX5000 so far in this black sand and found targets the other 3 failed on. Don’t get me wrong, the unit is not the holy grail…...It will still overload in places  but the settings can be manipulated to gain success and a quiet unit…..and yes I have found rings…..albeit had to be quick and deep with the scoop as parts of the black beach has like liquefaction sand so the hole fills in nearly instantly.

My apologies if this post is rather verbose, but I needed to address and clarify some points. I see Steve H. raised his eyebrows at a guy claiming the unit cost over $4000…...and rightly so. Cost is USD $1495 plus freight which still doesn’t convert to NZD $4000…….even on the worst exchange rate plus duty etc. Just think he was trying to put people off buying!

• Like 4

All good and cleared up now for the interest of readers. The Tarsacci website has nothing to do with me so I cannot comment there.

Now time for detecting which is what I am passionate about. I have that "dreaded" disease that is addictive. 😉 

• Like 2

I think everyone believes that im selling the too lol.   I happen to know NASA Tom since he lives on the other side of the island so to speak.  I have absolutely no stake in this except like you i like to see new machines that work promoted.   That keeps the hobby progressing forward.  Im a little baffled as to why more Fl guys arent jumping on this machine...... well unless they are waiting on the new Fisher AQ.   A couple of inches in depth is pretty significant.   That equals or exceeds most PIs except the TDI and this machine has good TID and disc most just dont.    Most of us have progressed from the Xcal , which we modified at an addition cost of nearly $400+, to the CTX...... and we know what that costs and even the AquaSound which new was $3300 ... coils were $500 and battery change $400..... and for the most part wont work well out of Fl.   This machines cost only shocks us because of the NOX.   Otherwise we wouldnt blink.  I knew that guy was blowing smoke at $4000..... my assumption was he was trying to IMPRESS.   They pay for themselves if you beach hunt.   Interesting you mentioned a unique coil...... i know Demitar had spoken of it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There were two other coils produced other than the stock 11” x  8” coil. One was for NZ and the other for testing in the Culpeper highly mineralized soil. They both shared the same 11” x  8” shell as the stock. The Culpepper coil did not preform as hoped. I do not know about the NZ coils performance. 

Hi Carolina,  I was the "tester" for the NZ coil, which performs exceptionaly well to the point where I use my Tarsacci 95% of the time...... shared between our NZ west coast black sand beaches, east coast "normal" sand beaches, mud, dirt and water. Yes, I can go into overload on the very very black iron sand, but by running TH0 and Sens 9, tracking.....sometimes Blk sand setting I get results. It just means in places I have to raise the coil a bit higher than normal. Balancing of GB and salt imperative, as is the balancing of other settings. The Tesoro Sand Shark I used never got the same depth, nor did the Sea Hunter Mk2. The GPX5000 just couldnt cope in the same spot as the Tarsacci on the black titanomagnetic iron sand.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I think everyone believes that im selling the too lol.   I happen to know NASA Tom since he lives on the other side of the island so to speak.  I have absolutely no stake in this except like you i like to see new machines that work promoted.   That keeps the hobby progressing forward.  Im a little baffled as to why more Fl guys arent jumping on this machine...... well unless they are waiting on the new Fisher AQ.   A couple of inches in depth is pretty significant.   That equals or exceeds most PIs except the TDI and this machine has good TID and disc most just dont.    Most of us have progressed from the Xcal , which we modified at an addition cost of nearly $400+, to the CTX...... and we know what that costs and even the AquaSound which new was $3300 ... coils were $500 and battery change $400..... and for the most part wont work well out of Fl.   This machines cost only shocks us because of the NOX.   Otherwise we wouldnt blink.  I knew that guy was blowing smoke at $4000..... my assumption was he was trying to IMPRESS.   They pay for themselves if you beach hunt.   Interesting you mentioned a unique coil...... i know Demitar had spoken of it.  

Dewcon4414....I have followed your posts along with a couple of other guys off Tom D's forum and I have to say I am very, very impressed with your posts and could certainly with hand on heart,  can endorse anything you have written on the performance of the MDT.  My time is shared between beach and relic hunting with only a little water hunting by comparison. I have both tbe NZ and standard coil, but the latter cannot cope with our black iron sand. 

I like you have no stake in the MDT/company and will further say I have no loyalty to any particular manufacturer or detector. It is simply what detector works for me in the conditions I put it under. The MDT for the current period in time fufils that hunger. Who knows about the AQ.....or indeed any other machine, which may/may not supercede what is currently used? Only time and users feedback will tell.

The hesitation of others buying this unit also mystifies me. I guess because you and I were amongst the first to buy and use the MDT we KNOW what it can do, ......the would be buyers don't. 

........"I knew that guy was blowing smoke at $4000......" lol.......who wants serious competition? I confess to being a bit selfish about not wanting what little goodies have been left by preceeding detectors to be NOW found by  a large number of NZ MDT swingers!!!!  Human nature Im afraid😅 Hence if you noticed in the article sent to Steve H, the NAMELESS unit cost a packet......enough to put anyone off buying!

• Like 1

I dont really need anyones verification...... its working for me pretty well and i post most of my gold which shows size, weight and K.   I agree thou and im skeptical about any new machine....... but jumped at the Nox because i knew it would turn out to be a very good beach machine.   Your ground makes your choices very important...... so does the salt water for me.   I spoke to Demitar in fact yesterday ..... and the first question i asked was........ is there any improvement that coil might give me.   Apparently not.    I attempt to give an honest appraisal of the machines i use and im a bit obsessive about knowing what i get before i buy one.    Anyone thats followed me with the Nox or the AQ knows that....... i try not to be rude, but i sure like information.   Not sure th AQ is going to be the one you want....... the Terra maybe a better choice and it seems they are going to get that one out not long after the AQ...... well hopefully.  

Ive not heard a lot of negative chatter about the MDT......  DanielTn had one got rid of it.... but bought another and is using it as his full time machine now.  Ive been impressed by his posts.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

People testing products or even early birds using a product are very much opened up to scrutiny.  It's a fact of life and it will never change it seems.  It can be quite depressing being attacked for doing nothing but trying to help others.  The selfish thing to do would be to keep it to yourself and take advantage of it, cleaning up every spot you can yet everyone always thinks you have a motive for expressing your opinions, good or bad.

Savvy readers end up knowing what to believe and what not to believe, some people will just always want to go on the attack. If you're enjoying using the product and it's working well for you then thank you for sharing your experiences with us all.  It's not an easy task but it is appreciated.

Over time the product will prove itself with more users, and you will be vindicated and then finally appreciated for what you've done, it just takes time.

If the brave people among us were never willing to take the scrutiny and sometimes abuse it would be very difficult for a product like this to take off.  Sometimes it seems if it wasn't for these smaller outside the box manufacturers and innovators making products the industry would be pretty stagnant, even First Texas only has their possible competition to this detector because of an outsider.

So true Phrunt. Wise words from one so young! (Younger than me anyway)

I came out of the "closet" .....  as being "selfish" is counter-productive to the advancement of a detector I currently use 95% of the time. I am enjoying life without feeling guilty.

It takes many $$$$ to study physics, engineering etc......then to put that knowledge and "out of the box" thinking into patenting that technology, buy components, pre market test etc etc.......all to produce a detector for end users to indulge in their hobby.

In the past I used a Sovereign GT which  was a brilliant beach machine but the years have rolled by and despite it still being a good unit it was heavy, and the market does not stay stagnant, which benefits us.

I have little free time so try and make the most of it. Yeeup......I can take as good as I give, but I will always respect others. Learning and sharing is never ending....n'est pas?

• Like 2