Macro Gold Racer Coil Problem

When I broke my AT Pro stock dd it would false out when tapped or touched. I use a high power laser pointer 405nm to illuminate the surface and was able to see a hairline crack that was the culprit. Tapping around the edge you might be able to find the spot. Assuming you checked the connections and cable.

I did repair my dd and it is usable but slightly out of spec now so I keep it as a backup. Repairing wasn't all that easy either. Because the crack is so fine you can't just smudge some epoxy in. I used a pressure pot at 60psi to force the epoxy in and though not perfect it did the trick. Lastly the epoxy I used was the standard 2 part clear which is slightly flexible and could be the reason it is slightly out of wack.

For 3rd party coils I have a popular one made in the Ukraine and have been unable to contact them about possible repair/replace on that coil as they do not respond to any of my emails for the last 3 months. Your better off with coils from the original manufacturer unless the company is nice enough to talk to their customers and actually honor their warranties.

• Like 2

Well,, all this info is good. I have a far better understanding of the situation now. I saw a major retailer carrying the sister company coil from the Urkrane and they offer a 3yr warranty. Which I know they would honer. 

That being said, I'm positive my GR 19 coil that is epoxy filled didn't have any cracks. I do know that it happened when I was pushing down on it to sweep a flat spot. Yes, this particular coil only uses a skid plate. The bottom is the epoxy. So, I guess coils are to be handled with care. That is good info for me. The fact that this happens makes me understand it's a must that I'm careful. It's all ok for me.

I will be getting a GR19 replacememt. I'm sure it's the best match. The little sniper coil really works well on tiny stuff. And in trash. Thanks for the info to you all!

10 hours ago, Tahoegold said:

So, I guess coils are to be handled with care

I don’t. They are made to be used, not babied. I’ve used hundreds of coils over the last 45 years and had few problems. I don’t recommend using them for a walking stick or leaning on them, but swinging and scraping the ground is what coils do day in and day out. Seriously, you are just having a little bad luck.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don’t. They are made to be used, not babied. I’ve used hundreds of coils over the last 45 years and had few problems. Seriously, you are just having a little bad luck.

Ok, that's good news. I'm concerned as I have another coil, my 10"DD  that is showing the same signs. Same issue by pushing down very gently. If they are not supposed to do this this easy, maybe I am having bad luck. It's not falsing, it's overloading. Wierd symptoms, Paul's did the same thing... So, that's 3 coils. I will trust you Steve. I know this can happen. The Makro repair guy said he doesn't see many problems at all either with their line. He says the coils are well made and seemed to think all coils have a few issues equally. And, he said the manufacturers coils seem to work better. I'm hoping my 10" DD doesnt get worse. It made that overload sound once already... 

Like I said though. I'm not giving up on Makro, and I'll stick with their coils. I'm happy with their performance. Thanks again. I don't mean for this to sound like I'm not trusting Makro. I just don't have much experience with all this. I appreciate the input!

Ok Paul, I have been moving dirt slightly to make a smooth surface, I haven't been using mine as a walking cane. My 4.5x7.5 is epoxy filled. So I really was surprised when it reacted to pressing down, now the 10". But, it's quite possible I am just having a bit of bad luck. I was thinking, if they put a cross section of pvc pipe right under the pole connection it really could strengthen it!

The symptoms definitely came when I pressed on both coils. I'm not going to press or bang another coil again! 

4 minutes ago, fredmason said:

You won’t be doing much serious detecting except on smooth grass...like Steve, I use my coils. They get banged and shook and occasionally walked on...never broke any since 1980...

they are not weed wackers....

fred

Ok Fred! That's good info. I guess Paul and I just are having some bad luck with 3 of the same manufacturers coils. I'm sure These are made well. There's not any reports of these coils causing an overload signal except for Paul and me. I'm just saying it appears to be very rare. Even the Makro tech hadn't heard of this issue. If anyone has one, try pressing down on it a little. Let me know if it overloads.