GPZ Won't Ground Balance With Ferrite. Solutions?

For the last few times out, I haven't been able to balance the 7000 using the ferrite. The detector continues to sound off as I wave the coil over it (with the q.t. button held in).I haven't had that problem before. The detector seemed to be just as sensitive but I am wondering if there is a solution to it not balancing. 

(I did read through back posts and the only thing I found was a suggestion by JP that after turning the unit on and tuning satisfactorily, turn the unit off. Then turn it on again, tune and continue on to balancing with the ferrite. - I haven't tried that yet)

Are you using the exact same ferrite that came stock with the GPZ, or a replacement from a dealer/ebay?

There are bogus ferrites floating around that are mostly just iron rings painted yellow which will not balance out. I have no clue why ML dealers are selling these but they do, I bought one without realizing it wasn't an OEM replacement.

• Like 2

Did you use semi-auto for GB? Also, lower the sensitivity when ground balancing.  Sometimes the gain is too high and the ferrite won't cancel out properly. Also check that there is no target close to the ferrite. 

• Like 1

Yes it's a stock ferrite - will do reset all - yes used semi-auto for GB - I will lower sensitivity and there was no target close to the ferrite.

Thank you all.

Hi Steve, yes I asked that question before. I'm still having the anomaly. I am sure it is me doing something wrong in the start-up process and wanted to ask the forum. Thank you for linking this, I did reread it before I posted knowing it was repetitive (and knowing you'd spot that it was essentially a repost).

• Like 1

Yes Fred, Steve doesn't suffer foolishness easily. It's what makes the forum the most worthwhile place to learn. For a person who does not understand electronics but who loves detecting, I'm willing to risk appearing foolish, it's better than not asking.

Now, to put the advice to good use….

No foolishness implied. I guess my question is did you do a reset last time, and did that fix it? I’m a bit different I suppose but anytime I put a detector away for more than a few days, the first thing I do when heading out on a new outing is do a full reset. I don’t trust microprocessors with complicated settings that create programs not to end up with glitches, and I don’t want to run detector for a week that is doing something to hurt my performance I am not even aware of. It may seem a hassle but once you learn your settings it just takes a couple minutes. I just like having that factory fresh feeling when I start out. Now, when I am detecting days in a row in the same general area I do not reset every day, but if I make a big jump, say from Nevada to the California Sierras, I will do a full reset to make sure there are no carryover ground settings in memory that will mess with me.

• Like 1