GPZ Won't Ground Balance With Ferrite. Solutions?

Hi Flakmagnet

It might be worthwhile to get with a dealer or another GPZ 7000 owner to compare detector performance and procedures.

Or join a club that has some GPZ owners. There are many benefits to belonging to a club.

There are a few of us GPZ 7000 owners at Bill Southern’s Spring and Fall outings in Arizona. The next one is near Quartzsite March 20-22. It’s a lot of fun and the cost is the price of a pot-luck dish.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I did do a reset as a result of the first post's suggestions but the difficulty of tuning with the ferrite returned. I have been in the same area so had not reset recently…and I think it makes a lot of sense to reset often especially if it's been awhile since I've been out, so that is what I will start doing. 

I do always reset when I change areas.

I am always gratified by the responses to questions and I have learned a lot more by asking them than by not asking.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Chet said:

It might be worthwhile to get with a dealer or another GPZ 7000 owner to compare detector performance and procedures.

Or join a club that has some GPZ owners. There are many benefits to belonging to a club.

There are a few of us GPZ 7000 owners at Bill Southern’s Spring and Fall outings in Arizona. The next one is near Quartzsite March 20-22. It’s a lot of fun and the cost is the price of a pot-luck dish.

Have a good day,
Chet

Hi Chet, all good suggestions. I belong to WSPA and have since its inception. I've been to Bill's outings in Gold Basin and have also hunted with him in different settings. I am pretty comfortable with the GPZ and coming up with settings that work in various areas, but the ferrite difficulty is recent hence the questions. I do think my lack of resetting often is the culprit and will mess with that next time out.  

I do look forward to meeting you one day, I hear so many nice things about you. Best...

• Like 1

Hi Flakmagnet

I just recently joined the WSPA at Bill’s last outing near Morristown. Hopefully it will provide some new possibilities and activities. I look forward to meeting you and more of the members.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 2

This seems to be the clearest method to overcome what I am experiencing. From a post by JP:

Turn the GPZ on.

- noise cancel.

- balance with ferrite and Quick Trak in semi auto.

- release Quick Track and pump ground balance just off to the side. 

- check ferrite again.  If still making noise over ferrite, balance with ferrite and Quick Trak in semi auto again.  Repeat the above steps until quiete over ferrite and ground.    

- start detecting.  

- check over the ferrite sporadically through the day or if the detector seems 'out of tune'.  

• Like 2

Hi Flakmagnet

That is a good procedure. 

Sometimes I have experienced ground with reddish rocks that would not ferrite balance at all. I look around for better looking ground and balance with a little more effort since I had knocked it way out while trying on the hot ground.

Sometimes it won’t quiet down as much as normal. But later hundreds of feet away on some different ground it balances fine.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Thanks 1

In my experience what can help with Ferrite balance is to make sure your coil is right next to it, then when you squeeze the trigger, go over the ferrite immediately. And give the coil a few quick sweeps across it. 

Are you in Normal or Difficult? 

• Like 1

High Yield Normal is the most sensitive mode on the GPZ to the Ferrite, in other words that mode will make the loudest Ferrite response over any other. In some instances if the G balance is way out it is best to pump the coil first to get the G balance correct before introducing the Ferrite, the reason you do this is to avoid the G balance trying to also balance out the Ferrite signal at the same time it has to get rid of a lot of G signal.

High Yield also saturates the most (when you couple the coil to the ground and a signal is heard as you briskly pull the coil away (de-couple), High Yield is also the most sensitive mode to Salt signals (bring coil from ground height straight up to above your head and listen for a moaning sound as the coil moves through from knee height to above your waist, the stronger the signal the greater the amount of salt present).

So best Ferrite balance practice using High Yield Normal is:

• Check for EMI and perform a Manual or Auto Tune till threshold is a smooth and stable as possible.
  • Bring coil to ground and pump coil till the GB is Quiet (Make sure Semi-Auto Mode is selected).
  • Place Ferrite on ground where there are no target signals, preferably non-saturable non-salty ground.
  • With Quick-Trak depressed bring coil in over Ferrite at front of coil where the word Minelab is on Blue sticker.
  • Move coil slightly slower than brisk left and right over Ferrite till there is no noise then release QT button.
  • Pump coil to one side, you can also sweep the coil left and right away from the Ferrite to average the GB (I personally pump the coil up and down and occasionally combine some sideways sweep if the ground is saturable).
  • Bring coil back in over the Ferrite and check for any residual signal, if there is repeat Quick-Trak Ferrite Balance till there is no signal with GB correct waving over the Ferrite (do not scrub the Ferrite because there will usually be a bit of residual signal left over (not loud).
  • If this method still results in a dominant signal off the Ferrite then potentially you have a faulty coil, try using the Reset-All method holding down the Power button at switch on re-do your settings and repeat above. Re-set all is a HARD re-set and re-sets the GB and Ferrite balance and all other global settings to factory settings.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

JP I have just copied this post. I will take it to the field and do as you suggest. 

Thank you to everyone for their patient and considered posts, it's why this is the best forum anywhere for this hobby.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Robert Eaton Jr
      Hey everybody. I've been working my butt off to try to get ready to go find gold.Sometime seems like one step forward two steps back. A week and a half ago I was at the bottom of gold hill outside Virginia City, testing out the GPZ in the gold monster with my wife and kids, and when we put all the gear away I had my keys on the minelab vest, and stupidly locked them in the back of our car right at sun down. Being off the beaten path, and having to work had no choice but to smash my rear window to get the keys and get my family out of there. Just so happens that rear window is more expensive than my windshield at 500 plus dollars :-(.
      Had to look of finding a free spirit Odyssey 45-in tent for only $2,000 near San Diego. Went down and picked it up, only to find out that the so-called towing Springs that I thought I ordered, and we're actually tihuan springs for a golf, and not the towing Springs that I thought. My mistake ordering them, now my car sags, and I've got a cough up another $160 and change the Springs myself. Times money. To make things even better, on the way back through the Mojave desert my heater core went out. Fortunately it's got a CPo warranty, unfortunately I can't trust the local dealership so I have to drive to Sacramento to have the dealership fix it, luckily it's only 50 bucks. And that covers this sway bar bushings too which are bad.
      Yesterday I spent all day delivering doordash checking out Auburn and a little bit placer County. Forest Hill road and some other spots. Found an awesome mining store in Auburn. I like to get back today to metal detector it caught a land where I saw people excavating for a new home in placer County. I've got to work my butt off to pay off these bills, I hope I could get one or two hours.
      I had went to Cold Springs to get some Paydirt with my wife from the bedrock that was exposed. So far I found tons of iron. Bringing it home to our kitchen, where I spent about an hour and a half learning to pan for the first time. With a five bucket gallon, it took me about a good hour to find a good rhythm. Wow am I a slow panner:(
      I'm working on it, ordered some classifiers, and realized I need to get a sluice box or something to make that process go faster. I totally don't have any cash left to do that though...
      So I also wanted to figure out how to make my GPZ and gold monster operate better where there's tons of iron. Sitting in bed right now I was just trying to set my machine with Steve's super hot settings, which apparently were not as hot as the ones I was running, when the ultimate nightmare happened.
      Not even dressed, GPZ in my arms, I can see a gray line going down the center of the screen. Un freaking believable. I hardly used my GPZ yet. Not the hundreds of hours required. I've never dropped it I have no idea how this happened. Every free second of my day I try to spend looking for gold. there's no way I could afford to part with it for a couple months to send it to Australia. I'm hoping there's some way to have it fixed we're able to fix itself. Has anybody ever seen it a grey line in their display?
      Now my f75 LCD is worse than my GPZ, and my poor GPZ has a line through it... I never let it go in lower than  15-20°....

• By Lunk
      What better way to ring in the new year than going nugget shooting in the sunny desert southwest. 😎 In my wanderings through an area heavily worked by the old-time placer miners, I spied an old raked and drywashed nugget patch on a hillside that sloped down to a gravel bench deposit high above the dry creek bed. Back in the VLF gold detector era, the surface rocks were raked away in order to get the detector coil right on the ground, to make up for their limited depth capabilities. Detecting these types of environments with the newer PI and ZVT tech can reveal deeper nuggets that were beyond the reach of VLF detector operators. Slow and methodical coverage of the old patch with the GPZ 7000 yielded two small nuggets for the poke today.

• By Libertas
      ..and bought a used GPZ 7000. It will compliment my 4500, GM and Nox 800. Hopefully it will provide an edge on old hammered patches I know of. Guess I had better start lifting weights!
      Any sage advice from the GPZ veterans here much appreciated.
      Thanks.
    • By phrunt
      X-coils have now made Concentric coils for the GPZ 7000, It has been a while in the making and it's a long way off the standard DOD coil design the GPZ uses but it works, and it works very well.
      They are the future of coils for the GPZ.  The coil is also a spiral wound coil.
      Here is a video of the ferrite balance.  Settings at the time were HY / Normal / 14 gain.
      There is also a lower video quality longer version video of it balancing out the ferrite ring which shows it reacting more to the ferrite before the balance, the video quality isn't a good but if you're interested you can watch it here.  https://youtu.be/g_srJhzo5cI
      There are currently two sizes in existence, the 17" round and a 15" round.  They are not for sale at this stage but I figured people would be interested to see a new coil for the GPZ far different than anything that's existed before.
      Here is a video of it being tested on a nugget in the air,  This is in HY/Normal/14, there is a lot of EMI around as this is filmed in an urban area.
      I will be getting one of the coils as soon as possible in the 15" size, so I'll do some more video and showing how it operates when it arrives on some nuggets and other targets, and obviously I'll be aiming to find nuggets using it straight away 🙂
    • By GB_Amateur
      I can't remember this being discussed but maybe I've missed it or forgotten it.  Given how deep the Zed has been known to find small nuggets it seems to me it could do well on coins.  Any experience (or reliable hearsay 😁) on this?
      As a distantly related sidelight, a couple weeks back on Curse of Oak Island (TV show) Gary Drayton is seen with a GPZ-7000 and it had the ML 19" coil mounted.  It's impossible from watching alone to know how long he swung it but in terms of air time it was minimal and I don't recall any footage of them digging a target he found with it.  Later he was back to his trusty ML CTX3030, so maybe just a publicity/advertising stunt.  (It's also risky to interpret scenes on these shows as reliably chronological, so maybe we'll see more of the 7000 in later episodes.)

• By zortan
      Hello all,
      After a long day of working on getting skunked and just before sundown I changed my detecting technique from a very Gerry way of detecting to a very Lunk way of detecting. ( rather fast vs. like a turtle). When I did this I started to find nuggets again, small guys like .1 and .2 grammers but hey, gold is gold right?
      my question is two fold, does a large deep target sound the same as a very small shallow one?  Does the fact that I started to find targets again have more to do with coil control or does the GPZ need time to charge up the ground or something like that?