GPZ Won't Ground Balance With Ferrite. Solutions?

JP and Flak

I have remembered this procedure (in a little less detail) from a previous posting and I seem to balance out the ferrite well.

You may have answered a question for me about other detectors that 'sound off' when making a turn on gridding.  I've noticed most on the 3030 a false signal when returning (turning 180 degrees) on a grid line.  Maybe this is the detector 'coupled' to the ground and when it gets raised it falses.

I haven't noticed it on the Z but it may do it and just not sound off.  Maybe a wider turn is better?

Mitchel

I don't understand why you guys are so confused about the little 'ring of confidence'.

When I bought my 7000 it worked just fine, although I had friends that had all sorts of problems. Dumb drongos. Poor old Minelab had to then bring out this little ringy thingy gadget so that these poor folk could get their heavy expensive wonder toy to behave. They patiently explained that all you had to do was a little figure eight spider dance about the magic ring while reciting a prayer to the Great God of Nuggets and being careful not to get your coil 'saturated'. Using the 'cripple stick' would also give you coil control, an absolute imperative in nugget finding success. Still not happy, with such an obvious solution to a problem that the manufacturer insisted did not exist, Minelab with infinite patience provided a plug in software update that made their super gadget even better, but screwed up some of the earlier features.

Full marks to Minelab for not being blunt enough to just tell all those complaining pains in the butt to go whistle dixy.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

In GB semi-auto it keeps the iron track constant and locked in on the ferrite. In my experience, this helps greatly when hunting in grounds that have highly variable mineralization with high and low iron contents in close proximity

One day you'll post something nice about Minelab Reg and it'll be one of two things...you're on your death bed trying to make good with god or your accounts been hacked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

I don't understand why you guys are so confused about the little 'ring of confidence'.

When I bought my 7000 it worked just fine, although I had friends that had all sorts of problems. Dumb drongos. Poor old Minelab had to then bring out this little ringy thingy gadget so that these poor folk could get their heavy expensive wonder toy to behave. They patiently explained that all you had to do was a little figure eight spider dance about the magic ring while reciting a prayer to the Great God of Nuggets and being careful not to get your coil 'saturated'. Using the 'cripple stick' would also give you coil control, an absolute imperative in nugget finding success. Still not happy, with such an obvious solution to a problem that the manufacturer insisted did not exist, Minelab with infinite patience provided a plug in software update that made their super gadget even better, but screwed up some of the earlier features.

Full marks to Minelab for not being blunt enough to just tell all those complaining pains in the butt to go whistle dixy.

I have seen firsthand the above somewhat involved setup, Reg has portrayed humorously, turn users against the Z because of  "all sorts of problems", when really next to the SDC it is the easiest gold machine to use, it is basically a turn on and go machine. If users get to use it as most used the auto GB VLFs and PIs before it in manual GB for search with use of the QT button with simply a few pumps up and down when it is heard to have the GB "out", they will master this magic detector more, improving their finds with even deeper gold recovery then it achieves in  the tracking modes. Regardless of the manuals "rhetoric" manual GB is the go for max returns also in the noisier ground the same as it was in all MLs GB tracking gold detectors before it.

Don`t believe this then try it on one of those flogged out patches, get the hang of manual gbing and you will only turn back to auto/semi when you want to fly over the ground. But turn off those pesky notifications.

For me Reg, your post was the first Z critical post you`ve written that is very constructive and outlines the major reason the Z was discarded by some users. That Colgate Ring of Confidence dig had me rolling on the floor.😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Robert Eaton Jr
      Hey everybody. I've been working my butt off to try to get ready to go find gold.Sometime seems like one step forward two steps back. A week and a half ago I was at the bottom of gold hill outside Virginia City, testing out the GPZ in the gold monster with my wife and kids, and when we put all the gear away I had my keys on the minelab vest, and stupidly locked them in the back of our car right at sun down. Being off the beaten path, and having to work had no choice but to smash my rear window to get the keys and get my family out of there. Just so happens that rear window is more expensive than my windshield at 500 plus dollars :-(.
      Had to look of finding a free spirit Odyssey 45-in tent for only $2,000 near San Diego. Went down and picked it up, only to find out that the so-called towing Springs that I thought I ordered, and we're actually tihuan springs for a golf, and not the towing Springs that I thought. My mistake ordering them, now my car sags, and I've got a cough up another $160 and change the Springs myself. Times money. To make things even better, on the way back through the Mojave desert my heater core went out. Fortunately it's got a CPo warranty, unfortunately I can't trust the local dealership so I have to drive to Sacramento to have the dealership fix it, luckily it's only 50 bucks. And that covers this sway bar bushings too which are bad.
      Yesterday I spent all day delivering doordash checking out Auburn and a little bit placer County. Forest Hill road and some other spots. Found an awesome mining store in Auburn. I like to get back today to metal detector it caught a land where I saw people excavating for a new home in placer County. I've got to work my butt off to pay off these bills, I hope I could get one or two hours.
      I had went to Cold Springs to get some Paydirt with my wife from the bedrock that was exposed. So far I found tons of iron. Bringing it home to our kitchen, where I spent about an hour and a half learning to pan for the first time. With a five bucket gallon, it took me about a good hour to find a good rhythm. Wow am I a slow panner:(
      I'm working on it, ordered some classifiers, and realized I need to get a sluice box or something to make that process go faster. I totally don't have any cash left to do that though...
      So I also wanted to figure out how to make my GPZ and gold monster operate better where there's tons of iron. Sitting in bed right now I was just trying to set my machine with Steve's super hot settings, which apparently were not as hot as the ones I was running, when the ultimate nightmare happened.
      Not even dressed, GPZ in my arms, I can see a gray line going down the center of the screen. Un freaking believable. I hardly used my GPZ yet. Not the hundreds of hours required. I've never dropped it I have no idea how this happened. Every free second of my day I try to spend looking for gold. there's no way I could afford to part with it for a couple months to send it to Australia. I'm hoping there's some way to have it fixed we're able to fix itself. Has anybody ever seen it a grey line in their display?
      Now my f75 LCD is worse than my GPZ, and my poor GPZ has a line through it... I never let it go in lower than  15-20°....

• By Lunk
      What better way to ring in the new year than going nugget shooting in the sunny desert southwest. 😎 In my wanderings through an area heavily worked by the old-time placer miners, I spied an old raked and drywashed nugget patch on a hillside that sloped down to a gravel bench deposit high above the dry creek bed. Back in the VLF gold detector era, the surface rocks were raked away in order to get the detector coil right on the ground, to make up for their limited depth capabilities. Detecting these types of environments with the newer PI and ZVT tech can reveal deeper nuggets that were beyond the reach of VLF detector operators. Slow and methodical coverage of the old patch with the GPZ 7000 yielded two small nuggets for the poke today.

• By Libertas
      ..and bought a used GPZ 7000. It will compliment my 4500, GM and Nox 800. Hopefully it will provide an edge on old hammered patches I know of. Guess I had better start lifting weights!
      Any sage advice from the GPZ veterans here much appreciated.
      Thanks.
    • By phrunt
      X-coils have now made Concentric coils for the GPZ 7000, It has been a while in the making and it's a long way off the standard DOD coil design the GPZ uses but it works, and it works very well.
      They are the future of coils for the GPZ.  The coil is also a spiral wound coil.
      Here is a video of the ferrite balance.  Settings at the time were HY / Normal / 14 gain.
      There is also a lower video quality longer version video of it balancing out the ferrite ring which shows it reacting more to the ferrite before the balance, the video quality isn't a good but if you're interested you can watch it here.  https://youtu.be/g_srJhzo5cI
      There are currently two sizes in existence, the 17" round and a 15" round.  They are not for sale at this stage but I figured people would be interested to see a new coil for the GPZ far different than anything that's existed before.
      Here is a video of it being tested on a nugget in the air,  This is in HY/Normal/14, there is a lot of EMI around as this is filmed in an urban area.
      I will be getting one of the coils as soon as possible in the 15" size, so I'll do some more video and showing how it operates when it arrives on some nuggets and other targets, and obviously I'll be aiming to find nuggets using it straight away 🙂
    • By GB_Amateur
      I can't remember this being discussed but maybe I've missed it or forgotten it.  Given how deep the Zed has been known to find small nuggets it seems to me it could do well on coins.  Any experience (or reliable hearsay 😁) on this?
      As a distantly related sidelight, a couple weeks back on Curse of Oak Island (TV show) Gary Drayton is seen with a GPZ-7000 and it had the ML 19" coil mounted.  It's impossible from watching alone to know how long he swung it but in terms of air time it was minimal and I don't recall any footage of them digging a target he found with it.  Later he was back to his trusty ML CTX3030, so maybe just a publicity/advertising stunt.  (It's also risky to interpret scenes on these shows as reliably chronological, so maybe we'll see more of the 7000 in later episodes.)

• By zortan
      Hello all,
      After a long day of working on getting skunked and just before sundown I changed my detecting technique from a very Gerry way of detecting to a very Lunk way of detecting. ( rather fast vs. like a turtle). When I did this I started to find nuggets again, small guys like .1 and .2 grammers but hey, gold is gold right?
      my question is two fold, does a large deep target sound the same as a very small shallow one?  Does the fact that I started to find targets again have more to do with coil control or does the GPZ need time to charge up the ground or something like that?