Gpz Ferrite Gb Vs No Ferrite Gb Question X Coil

The science behind the GPZ requires the detector to be calibrated to the X signal, Minelab have given operators a choice, they can use Auto and let the detector control the calibration with or without the Ferrite  (Recommenced if you do not want to use the Ferrite or have lost your Ferrite) or they can take control and calibrate the detector themselves or they can just go detecting and use whatever mode they prefer and forget about the Ferrite and X calibration altogether, this also includes opting out of the tech and using something else. (The last option should theoretically save some from having to post ‘late at night quips’)😜

BTW flat wound coil users on GPX, when you couple your coil to the ground, guess what that target like noise mostly is? It’s mostly X signal due to the forced early demod!

• Like 2

Flakmagnet, for Pete's sake. How confusing can it get? I just can't help but react with humor, because it is just so damned humorous. 

I never got involved with all this rigmarole, just turned the machine on, ground balanced, and got on with the job of finding gold, which the GPZ was quite capable of, if one does not mind toting the weight. 

My 'sour' comments were merely an attempt to lighten up an otherwise boring and over technical lot of guff that merely confuse the hell out of most people.

I'm sure many people would be put off buying a GPZ after trying to wade through all the jargon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I find this topic quiet interesting and JP's comments are valuable to me, as always. When I spend 8k for a detector I want to maximize everything I can. Hence, details matter greatly to get the most out of it. Perhaps this is not so important for less sophisticated detectors.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2020 at 5:07 PM, kiwijw said:

My ferrite ring lives in the zipper side pocket of my control box protection cover. So no chance of losing it. It is also still in its original little plastic bag that it came in. I just put the ferrite ring on the ground still in its original plastic.

I have a plastic d-ring that i hook onto a tie wrap that goes around my handle.  I honestly haven't  used it since my last testing with the 10 inch xcoil.  But it looks cool, like some talisman or warped dream catcher, so i leave it there. 🙂

On 2/7/2020 at 7:23 PM, Gold Catcher said:

Hence, details matter greatly to get the most out of it.

the point…thanks.

• Like 1