Got my new steelPHASE 01 enhancer from Rob's today.... Let's try and see if it helps the 4500 find elusive gold....

Anyone using these ?

MVIMG_20200204_133527.jpg

MVIMG_20200204_133543.jpg

MVIMG_20200204_133554.jpg

• Like 1

yes, I use one and love it, I wouldn't use my GPZ or GPX without it.  I've even experimented with using it on my Gold Bug Pro and other detectors.  It's handy you can control your volumes from it rather than messing around with the detectors too, and even switch your audio off and on quickly while digging to stop the pick noise near the coil 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone had experience with the SP01 on a QED?

I tried my butt off to get it working well on the QED Reg and I just couldn't do it.  I was able to get it working if directly plugged in and then using certain headphones and that was fine but I prefer wireless audio.  I tried two different wireless methods including using the Quest Wirefree Mate and a Bluetooth LL transmitter and the QED just didn't put out the audio loud enough for it to work properly.  It did work but the audio was very quiet even after the SP01 boosting it.  Howard and Pat have discussed what would need to be done to get it to work and it seems it just can't happen as then the QED wouldn't work properly with some headphones or something if he changed the output of the QED, it went over my head but the two products just don't like each other.  Steelphase did indicate he may make a SP01 that suits the QED at some point.

It's the same reason some headphones won't work well on the QED and others will, like the Koss UR30's I have are terribly quiet on the QED when directly plugged in but other headphones are very loud.

• Like 2

Thanks Simon. Most informative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

Thanks Simon. Most informative.

I sure haven't given up on it, If I wanted to use headphones the SP01 will work fine as long as it's headphones that work directly plugged in.  It's using external speakers and certain headphones with the WIFI I'm having all the issues.  If someone has headphones they want to use and they work directly plugged in I'm sure they'd be OK with the SP01 in it's current form plugged in directly.  An alternative wireless solution maybe the fix.  I've always been interested in the Mars MD Link wireless system.

Hi Phrunt, 

Could you outline how you have the QED, SPO1, Quest wireless unit and the speakers/headphones set up and won't work?  

Is the SPO1 plugged directly into the QED?  I know from PM's we have had that you have tried different cables and things like that plugged into the QED.  

Pat (SteelPhase) if you happen to read this do you know why the sequence below won't work?  

If it was set-up with the:

- QED.

- Quest wireless sender unit plugged into the QED.  

- Quest wireless receiver unit on your person. 

- SPO1 plugged into the Quest receiver.  

- a speaker or headphones plugged in to the SPO1.  (the SPO1's power source drives the speakers, yes?).  

I have zero technical knowledge so please bear with me.  I just wondered if you put the SPO1 on the downstream side of the Quest rather than the upstream side then the signal will no longer be limited to the constraints of the QED internals, the differences with the SPO1 and GPX leads that cut amplifiers and all that other stuff.  Or is this how you are running it Phrunt?  

I'm sure there is a very good technical reason why this won't work   🙈   🤪

Cheers, NE. 

Don't know about the QED, but on the SDC if running the Quest Wireless kit, you will get better volume by direct plugging your sP01 into the detector, and then plugging the Tx into the sP01 output. 

• Like 1

Thanks PT.  Interesting that there is a difference between pre or post.  

There is something about the QED and the SPO1 that they don’t play well together direct plugged. They have different output frequencies or ohms or something.  Changing the QED to suit the SPO1 would mean the QED then wouldn’t work for other headphones.  

Howard and Pat might have a beer and a collective think about it one day  😉

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

I sure haven't given up on it, If I wanted to use headphones the SP01 will work fine as long as it's headphones that work directly plugged in.  It's using external speakers and certain headphones with the WIFI I'm having all the issues.  If someone has headphones they want to use and they work directly plugged in I'm sure they'd be OK with the SP01 in it's current form plugged in directly.  An alternative wireless solution maybe the fix.  I've always been interested in the Mars MD Link wireless system.

I am using Mars Md link about 3 months, very good device!