My New Steelphase 01

Don't know about the QED, but on the SDC if running the Quest Wireless kit, you will get better volume by direct plugging your sP01 into the detector, and then plugging the Tx into the sP01 output. 

• Like 1

Thanks PT.  Interesting that there is a difference between pre or post.  

There is something about the QED and the SPO1 that they don’t play well together direct plugged. They have different output frequencies or ohms or something.  Changing the QED to suit the SPO1 would mean the QED then wouldn’t work for other headphones.  

Howard and Pat might have a beer and a collective think about it one day  😉

Hey All

Sorry for the late reply but its all been a bit busy here organising a move interstate.

To use the sP01 with the QED, Garrett (and I'm pretty sure the Whites machines) requires a different input cable than the standard one as the headphone sockets are wired differently to the Minelab machines.

That being said, the output level of the QED (compared to other machines) is low and does not provide enough level to drive the sP01 to its full output. The Garretts and Whites perform fine.

Reg - if you are going to the Bendigo Gold expo in March, bring along a QED as I am working on something that may work well with it.

regards

Pat

• Like 2

Thanks Pat.  

I thought the batteries of the SPO1 would ‘drive’ the external speakers.  
But it is an audio not a power issue. 

Best I stick with nursing, technology is not my forte 🤣

I use Pat's SP01 and his headphones.  They work great with the Zed.

Simon,

Get his headphones.

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yes, that's why I haven't been able to resolve it, and also why the Minelab/Koss UR30 headphones are quiet on the QED even directly plugged in with no other gear connected then my Beats by Dre headphones near blow your ears off when directly plugged in 🙂

Simon,

This is a link to a headphone amplifier I have set up for several different people with different types of detectors.

This will work on just about anything that I have come across, but you must use wired headphones.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HP2TRS--presonus-hp2-15-personal-headphone-amplifier

How do people set up their stuff? I have an SPO1 that I used to use with my SDC.  I tried it once with my GPZ and still did not like having all the extra gear and wires. The whole point of going wireless is to have just one speaker clipped. When I tried to hook it up I had to go from the WM 12 with a cord to the SP01 plus more cords for an external speaker or headphones. It’s like gearing up with even more stuff when  I’m trying to be more minimal and reduce weight and gear to carry.  If we all want a lighter detector, we should also ask for a wireless booster with external speaker, and have like the WM 12 in size.

I clip it on the cover and use my headphones without wireless module. I found that the Prosonic adds to the EMI of the SDC, hence I use the headphones directly plugged in. It only adds a bit to the weight, but for the SDC the SP01 is a real blessing. I don't use it for the GPZ, also because I don't want to have another metallic object attached on my body close to the detector. In high yield/normal/gain >10 the machine is whining whenever anything metallic comes remotely close. No problem for the SDC though. Note the knuckle guard. That's the single most important investment to make for the SDC.

SDC-SP01.JPG